Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Trenching... The New Everesting?
Quote | Reply
A friend of mine loves the big challenges and after already Everesting a few times decided to switch it up a bit by Trenching. This is running down the Marianas Trench and back up. He did this by repeating a very steep trail multiple times for 85.9 miles. Here's a quip from his story:
Quote:
Longest activity to date, with a total time of 44hrs 52min 22sec. Greatest amount of total elevation gain (36,755ft) and loss (36,729ft) Start time just before 6pm Friday evening with end time just before 3pm Sunday afternoon. Besides bathroom breaks timed to watch charging duties, two 2hr naps were taken around 3am on the first and second nights = 4ish total hours of sleep. The route was the Canyon Acres trail to the Top of the World in Laguna Beach taking the shortest distance possible, totalling under 2 miles round trip up+down. Wore the same pair of socks and shoes the entire time. Wore the same awesome pair of shorts from the Path Projects with only one liner change. #Trenching #pathprojects
Thought I'd share this impressive feat.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: Trenching... The New Everesting? [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not fully following how this is different than everesting except for the greater amount of ascending and descending. Is it that the actual running is downhill and then walking uphill while everesting on foot would bemore-or-less the reverse. Or is just another name for essentially an ultra-everest? Regardless, it is impressive and my quads hurt even thinking about running that amount of descent.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Impressive. I think the the next big thing should be Olympus Mons-ing. 72k feet. Must be done at Martian oxygen pressures as well, if you want to bother counting it. NASA won’t recognize any attempts performed at Terran atmospheric pressures. Also, to be considered a bona fide Slowtwitch attempt, has to be done with a disc wheel, $12k Canyon, 3cm cranks, slammed saddle, and custom hydration. Bonus points if you calculate your cda for a Martian atmosphere.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HalfSpeed wrote:
Re: Trenching... The New Everesting?

No....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like big challenges too. It's 0C here so I decided to go outside in just my underwear and take a big hit of peyote. No limits.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
timed to watch charging duties

-------

If it's not on strava or using a gps watch I guess it truly doesn't count.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My grandfather made his living trenching. Trenching peat in a bog. Bloody hard work.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Trenching... The New Everesting? [BlackStumpGumby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I'm not fully following how this is different than everesting except for the greater amount of ascending and descending.

With trenching you have to descend the depth of the Mariana Trench which is 36,201 feet. I think you're supposed to do it by doing laps on a hill, so you have to go back up in order to descend.

So yeah, same thing basically.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's a good height, I was waiting for someone to do a true bottom to top Maunakea (10,211m/33,500ft) but I guess they either ignored that fact or just took it next level.

I second the Olympus Mons attempt for the even more next level

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Trenching... The New Everesting? [eblackadder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eblackadder wrote:
Impressive. I think the the next big thing should be Olympus Mons-ing. 72k feet. Must be done at Martian oxygen pressures as well, if you want to bother counting it. NASA won’t recognize any attempts performed at Terran atmospheric pressures. Also, to be considered a bona fide Slowtwitch attempt, has to be done with a disc wheel, $12k Canyon, 3cm cranks, slammed saddle, and custom hydration. Bonus points if you calculate your cda for a Martian atmosphere.

Can some expert on this please chime in here? I am super curious on what cycling up & down would be like with the lower gravity & lower pressure. Please use your six-figure advanced degrees to entertain us!

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Trenching... The New Everesting? [BlackStumpGumby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BlackStumpGumby wrote:
I'm not fully following how this is different than everesting except for the greater amount of ascending and descending. Is it that the actual running is downhill and then walking uphill while everesting on foot would bemore-or-less the reverse. Or is just another name for essentially an ultra-everest? Regardless, it is impressive and my quads hurt even thinking about running that amount of descent.

No, it is absolutely totally different. Everesting is going up then coming back down, trenching is going down then going back up. How can you not tell the difference?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It just lacks the innate mystique/marketability of Everesting. Kinda like a 50K is harder to explain to folks at a cocktail party than a marathon, even though it's longer.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Trenching... The New Everesting? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
It just lacks the innate mystique/marketability of Everesting. Kinda like a 50K is harder to explain to folks at a cocktail party than a marathon, even though it's longer.

Even "Everesting" is kinda over. It was a 2020 thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:

It's actually freaking hilarious for anyone with even the vaguest notion of urban slang. Which Slowtwitch lacks in droves. This is post of the year so far.

Quote Reply
Re: Trenching... The New Everesting? [M----n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M----n wrote:
It's actually freaking hilarious for anyone with even the vaguest notion of urban slang.

Yeah, if you're like 12 years old. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
M----n wrote:
Titanflexr wrote:

It's actually freaking hilarious for anyone with even the vaguest notion of urban slang. Which Slowtwitch lacks in droves. This is post of the year so far.

Yeah, they have to call it The Mariana Trench Challenge or something like that. Says something about our fitness geekiness that most of us probably knew what the OP was referring to from the title.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had no idea

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HalfSpeed wrote:
A friend of mine loves the big challenges and after already Everesting a few times decided to switch it up a bit by Trenching. This is running down the Marianas Trench and back up. He did this by repeating a very steep trail multiple times for 85.9 miles. Here's a quip from his story:

Quote:
Longest activity to date, with a total time of 44hrs 52min 22sec. Greatest amount of total elevation gain (36,755ft) and loss (36,729ft) Start time just before 6pm Friday evening with end time just before 3pm Sunday afternoon. Besides bathroom breaks timed to watch charging duties, two 2hr naps were taken around 3am on the first and second nights = 4ish total hours of sleep. The route was the Canyon Acres trail to the Top of the World in Laguna Beach taking the shortest distance possible, totalling under 2 miles round trip up+down. Wore the same pair of socks and shoes the entire time. Wore the same awesome pair of shorts from the Path Projects with only one liner change. #Trenching #pathprojects

Thought I'd share this impressive feat.

So, could your friend even walk after this??? Sounds really, really, really painful. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Trenching... The New Everesting? [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
So, could your friend even walk after this??? Sounds really, really, really painful. :)
Like you seem to be able to swim forever, Ardy can run hills forever. He might have been a bit sore, but he just keeps on going. He’s fast, also. He raced the short course Catalina SwimRun and came in 4th overall. He’s a mediocre swimmer, besting maybe 2:00/100 yards, too.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In terms of urban slang there needs to be a Mooning event where you ascend the height of the moon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HalfSpeed wrote:
ericmulk wrote:

Like you seem to be able to swim forever, Ardy can run hills forever. He might have been a bit sore, but he just keeps on going. He’s fast, also. He raced the short course Catalina SwimRun and came in 4th overall. He’s a mediocre swimmer, besting maybe 2:00/100 yards, too.

Well, all I can say is that his approx 40 hrs of running over two days sounds like the ultimate Marine Corps boot camp torture test. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Who will do the first "spaceing"? 100km up.
Quote Reply
Re: Trenching... The New Everesting? [dgutstadt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dgutstadt wrote:
BlackStumpGumby wrote:

No, it is absolutely totally different. Everesting is going up then coming back down, trenching is going down then going back up. How can you not tell the difference?

Well if this is trenching - is that not going down rather than going up? So if I get this right you have to descend the depth of the Mariana trench? So what is to stop you getting a lift to the top and just running or riding down? Sounds perfectly reasonable to me!

He who understands the WHY, will understand the HOW.
Quote Reply
Re: Trenching... The New Everesting? [earthling] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Knew I had seen it somewhere before. This dude did it for charity and it looks about as miserable as it gets. Kudos is due.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIDrFhi9g_o

He who understands the WHY, will understand the HOW.
Quote Reply
Re: Trenching... The New Everesting? [softrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, Karel Sabbe (record holder for pacific crest and appalachian trail) is doing a 100 miler vertical. It's assumed this is a long trail but this guy loves just running up hills. He might just be pioneering this new challenge.

Slightly more on topic, this is such an amount that probably cannot be done in 1 effort (meaning sleep/rest is required) so it's very different from everesting which can be done in 1 (long) go. Not sure if it will become a thing :)
Quote Reply