Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help Me Decide -- used Felt IA w Di2 or New Felt IA with Ultegra + Disc
Quote | Reply
So I am struggling to decide between two bikes:

1. 2020 Felt IA Disc (ultegra version -- not electronic); and
2. 2017 Felt IA10 (rim brake, but has full electronic shifting already).

I like that the used version is cheaper (by about $750), and I would only need to add a power meter (and I would still come in at or below price of the new bike as-is). That said, I keep coming back to the idea that I should go with the new disc version, add a power meter immediately, and delay electronic shifting upgrade to a later date.

I suppose the final option is to ride my tarmac disc in as close to a tri position as I can get it and save money altogether.

Anyway, I'm here asking for input as I keep going back and forth and can't make up my darn mind.

Thanks!

@CycleHeavy
Quote Reply
Re: Help Me Decide -- used Felt IA w Di2 or New Felt IA with Ultegra + Disc [TriMeSBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can upgrade the drivetrain to electronic any time. It is impossible to upgrade a rim frame to disc. If you like disc, I would get the disc bike. The rest are simply incremental upgrades.
Quote Reply
Re: Help Me Decide -- used Felt IA w Di2 or New Felt IA with Ultegra + Disc [TriMeSBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know what your current wheel situation is, but you mention having a Tarmac disc. So you have at least one set of disc wheels. If it was me, I'd get the Felt disc so have wheel compatibility between at least two of your bikes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm no expert, but I have a 2019 IA16, and if I could change one thing it would be the rear rim brakes. Pretty weak stopping power.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd go with the 2017 because of di2. Upgrading to di2 is pricey even if you do it yourself. I'll never buy another non-di2 bike.

I have ridden both rim and disk brakes. The only time I've wished I had disc brakes has been in terribly cold, rainy weather, with very low visibility and lots of grit on the road. (December/Jan in WA state). All other times, rim brakes are more than sufficient for stopping power with any rim, aluminum or carbon. I weigh 210 pounds and love descending.

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Owner of older Felt IA1 rim brake with DI2 and 2020 Cervello PX with Disc. Love disc brakes, but if I was choosing between disc brakes and electronic shifting, I would choose electronic every time.
Quote Reply