Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Double anvil training
Quote | Reply
I’m thinking of the double anvil this fall, going to do the aquavelo as I cannot run due to a back injury. Is anyone aware of where I can find a training plan or do I just need to add time to a basic Ironman plan? Any advice would be appreciated!
Quote Reply
Re: Double anvil training [bellau] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Im considering the same.

Suggestions:
- years ago I was training for it using my standard are IM plan, but with longer long days. I felt I was ready then was hit and off the bike for a few weeks.
- read the race and training reports for advice.
- I found this link. http://www.ironmate.co.uk/...athlon-training-tips
- here's a ST link. https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...raining_plan_P492308
Last edited by: Tri-Bum: Jan 10, 21 19:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It totally depends on what sort of swimmer and biker you are.If you are a good swimmer then there isn't much more training than Ironman.If you are a weaker swimmer then you need to do some longer sessions not only to get yourself stronger and hopefully faster but also to get used to the nutritional requirements of the longer swim bearing in mind you will still need to ride all day afterwards.

The bike is only a little longer than a double century and there are lots of training plans for that.As you are not running there is no real need to worry about sticking to a triathlon training plan.Put more long rides in your program than you would in an Ironman program with night riding as one of the important things to get used to.Learn to expand your Ironman nutrition to perhaps include solids in there as well.Again,you won't be running and on that course you won't be head down in the aero-bars all day so you will be able to tolerate more solids.

I assume since you said you are doing an " Double Anvil" in the Fall that means you are looking at the USA UltraTri Double Anvil at Lake Anna, Virginia. I am not going to suggest training programs as I know nothing about you but some notes on that course in the Fall for you.Prepare yourself for a fairly boring multi-loop swim where you will have to be organized enough to feed yourself at one end of the loop from your nutrition stash in the boat provided at the home end.You may have to deal with fog.It may be cold.

The bike is a multi-loop affair like all of them but this one has enough going on that you won't drift off to sleep out of boredom like some courses.At that time of year there is nobody else in the park but the racers and crew so it will get dark and lonely out there.Get good lights and good back up lights and good back up everything.Take as much warm and wet weather gear as you have as the weather at that time of year can,and has turned cold and wet for the duration.The only reason I have been to one of their races in Lake Anna is because in 2010 they had a special extra race in September when it was warmer.I don't do cold races and that is why I have been to their Oregon events a few times and will happily go back again.I love those guys.

Steve Kirby and his Anvil crew are amazing and the athletes and crews who roll up to these things really are a different breed to the regular Ironman crowd. Like at Ultraman, I have seen people change forever and have a totally different perspective of the sport after hanging out for the weekend with these people.You will have a great time, no banjos required.
Last edited by: ThailandUltras: Jan 10, 21 20:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Having done a bunch of these, there are pretty common themes among first timers each year. Even though you're doing the aqua bike, you'll very likely be riding at night. Outside of preparing for the distance, here's a few tips:

- I always recommend folks do some night training. It's good to have experience riding in the dark, especially when tired. When you're tired and the sun goes down, it can really mess with your ability to keep up your pace.

- The Virginia race can present some pretty significant temperature changes also, so I'd be prepared for anything up to 90 during the day and as low as 30s and humid at night. We've seen it all over the years.

- When you look at the course profile, the one hill doesn't look like much but keep in mind you'll be climbing it 44 times. It's not as steep as the old course, but it wears on you. Definitely be prepared to do some climbing.

Aside from that, Nick above has some good advice on nutrition. Good luck with your training. Lake Anna is a cool place to race. I hope to be there this year for the first time in a few years.

David
Last edited by: 421.8: Jan 12, 21 10:29
Quote Reply