Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hilton Head Recommendations
Quote | Reply
I am thinking Hilton Head for my summer beach week this year and looking for any recommendations or advice of where to stay on the island? I don't need to be on the beach, but want easy walking distance. Also, what is the biking situation? There seems to be a number paved pathways but are they clogged with beach cruisers? Any MTB opportunities?

We are also looking at this area for potential retirement so any advice in that department is appreciated also.
Quote Reply
Re: Hilton Head Recommendations [blueaces_high] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have ridden on bike paths on my tri bike. Not really tri bike friendly -- tight turns, sand, frequent stops at road crossings, etc. I rode early in the morning to avoid congestion, but later in the day there can be a lot of that. Anyway, I eventually gave up and rode on the road. There I was verbally accosted for not riding on the bike path by passing motorists (someone else can chime in on whether it is even legal to ride on the road there). In prior posts about HHI, folks have mentioned better biking off island.
Quote Reply
Re: Hilton Head Recommendations [hugoagogo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you want a hotel instead home house, you can’t go wrong with the Westin. Stayed there July 4 two years ago and it was first class.

Didn’t ride while I was there but from what I remember seeing it’s very biker friendly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Went last year and Road a cruiser bike with basket all over town and loved it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m not sure I’d come in the summer and expect to get good riding in unless you’re willing to drive off island or get out very early - shoulders are not wide. If you stay in Sea Pines you can get some solid riding doing 15-20 mile laps without many stops because we’re roundabout dominant, rather than stop signs - that said, summer is still busy. The paths aren’t made for bike training, but in my opinion they can’t be beat for running - lots of shade.

How close you are to being able to walk to the beach depends on what you want to spend - the low budget places actually on the water are likely not places you’d really want to stay, but Marriott has several properties right on the water that are pretty nice.

Before moving here we used to stay off of the beach in houses in Sea Pines that were a 3 minute drive to the water. That’s be like a 15 minute walk, which isn’t horrid, but it’s a long way to haul your crap.
Last edited by: Vols: Jan 10, 21 11:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Took the family there this summer for a week. I had the bike in tow and packed the running shoes.

The bike paths get busy during the day and not something I would consider as something to train on for cycling. I did however do some riding on the road on the island. I would go off island in hind sight. The shoulders were tiny/nonexistent not to mention the motorists knew you were there but weren’t very giving in space.

The bike path as mentioned already is a great place to run. Great shade, many gas stations for fuel/drink stops and as flat as you can get.

We had a blast but as far as swim bike run is concerned, I would go off island.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
blueaces_high wrote:
I am thinking Hilton Head for my summer beach week this year and looking for any recommendations or advice of where to stay on the island? I don't need to be on the beach, but want easy walking distance. Also, what is the biking situation? There seems to be a number paved pathways but are they clogged with beach cruisers? Any MTB opportunities?

We are also looking at this area for potential retirement so any advice in that department is appreciated also.
My wife and I really enjoyed the Sonesta when we were there for the half marathon last year
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've spent a lot of time in HHI over the last 20 years. Last year I took my road bike and rode a combination of the paved bike paths and low traffic roads. I would not take your tri bike. The next trip I take to HHI, I will take my gravel bike. Great options if you want to pursue some non-paved areas in addition to the primary options. You can get a 15-20 mile loop pretty easily.

I am fond of Palmetto Dunes (mid-island). Great options with a Marriot; Hilton; Condos and Homes (many options walking distance to the beach).

If you have time, stop by a meeting Al at Hilton Head Running Company. Great store, a triathlete and a fixture in the community.

Also highly recommend Santa Fe restaurant. Sit in the outside upstairs patio and order the grouper.
Quote Reply
Re: Hilton Head Recommendations [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm originally from Hilton Head and go back frequently to visit my parents who still live there. I bring my bike with me most of the time and have never had an issue getting in decent rides. Part of it may certainly be local knowledge about what roads to stay off of and where it is fine, but you can easily get in a good ride switching between some of the non-primary roads + MUP (in areas that aren't super crowded) + minimal primary road. In general, I would say that getting up early and going out is your best bet.

Personally, I would rather not ride than go off island. Bluffton is so overcrowded now and is just not somewhere I have any interest in riding.

Take a look at the routes on Go Tri Sport's website: http://www.gotrisports.com/bike-routes/. Additionally, they have group rides a couple of times per week that are good. They can help you with the local knowledge on what roads can be used to stay off the busiest sections.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
we stayed at the Marriott resort a few years ago and really liked it. lots of cruisers out there on a bike ride on the paths, and dont recall what i saw on the roads. i got a few runs in and a swim at the pool. that was it....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dropping this for future references.

Rented a nice road bike from Bike Doctor/HH Running Co (they had 61 cm).

Staying with family in Sea Pines. Took some side streets out to the front entrance, nice warm up. Crossed over to 278 and took the bike path out and then over the cross island parkway bridge (wide shoulder, share the road bike signs). Then down Marshland Rd along Spanish Wells, got some good miles in. No issues.

Also did a ride where I went out the back entrance, out to New Orleans Rd and then hopped on the path that took me all the way to the end of island. Between 7-9 AM almost nobody out there. Nice spin.
Quote Reply