Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Which would you choose P3X vs. new Canyon Speedmax [TizzleDK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since the new E-119 has not been out and tested I would not necessarily say the P5x is faster. Do you travel at all? Front ends and your abilities as a mechanic may also come into play.

Kiwami Racing Team
Quote Reply
Re: Which would you choose P3X vs. new Canyon Speedmax [playguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't intend to travel that much but still I like the friendly nature of the P3X for travel or the P3X and the P5X foldable bar at least. My mechanic skills are 'take it to your LBS for now'.

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Re: Which would you choose P3X vs. new Canyon Speedmax [playguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
playguy wrote:
...but the new Argon is going to be a real game changer. I have 2 Argons and the weight, response and fit options are really amazing.

Its a nice bike but its just so damn tall. The lowest it'll go on the big frame sizes is basically a road position. Same goes for the new Canyon, though.
Quote Reply
Re: Which would you choose P3X vs. new Canyon Speedmax [TizzleDK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
P3x bar isn’t foldable and a nightmare to take apart. There must be a good reason many pros ride the P5 instead of the P3x.

Kiwami Racing Team
Quote Reply
Re: Which would you choose P3X vs. new Canyon Speedmax [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
playguy wrote:
...but the new Argon is going to be a real game changer. I have 2 Argons and the weight, response and fit options are really amazing.

Its a nice bike but its just so damn tall. The lowest it'll go on the big frame sizes is basically a road position. Same goes for the new Canyon, though.

Paula Findlay rode too tall at Daytona too.... ;-)

Kiwami Racing Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I recall Ben Hoffman rodenthe p3x with the p5x bar. I hope they still make that because I love that bar and the foldability. 😁

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TizzleDK wrote:
If I recall Ben Hoffman rodenthe p3x with the p5x bar. I hope they still make that because I love that bar and the foldability. 😁

Ben opted frequently for the P5. That bar was awesome and costs $800 retail.

Kiwami Racing Team
Last edited by: playguy: Jan 10, 21 13:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In fact, just looked on the Cervelo dealer site....no x series even available. Maybe goodbye P3X?

Kiwami Racing Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I sure hope not!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TizzleDK wrote:
I sure hope not!

It’s not shown on our dealer site. Only P Series and the P5.

Kiwami Racing Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok still on the cervelo site if that means anything.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TizzleDK wrote:
Ok still on the cervelo site if that means anything.

Not on the dealer site so nothing available at this point for dealers. Might be in a shop or two but doesn’t show any availability or even show it. Not sure what that means. I’m staring at one right now but it’s the only one we have.

Kiwami Racing Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmmm ok I hope they still have it on 2021 or 2022.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
playguy wrote:
BigBoyND wrote:
playguy wrote:

She did, but if I recall correctly there was a physiological reason for her to do so. She won in spite of the aero penalty of that position, not because of it. Same argument goes for Iden on a road bike last year. He won on a road bike, but not because that is faster. Said himself that a tt bike would've been faster.
Quote Reply
Re: Which would you choose P3X vs. new Canyon Speedmax [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For all the P3x, PX owners out there, how do you travel with the bike, assuming you don’t have the folding p5x bars?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
playguy wrote:
BigBoyND wrote:
playguy wrote:

She did, but if I recall correctly there was a physiological reason for her to do so. She won in spite of the aero penalty of that position, not because of it. Same argument goes for Iden on a road bike last year. He won on a road bike, but not because that is faster. Said himself that a tt bike would've been faster.
Lol she definitely did not do that 'on purpose'. Lots of stuff on her socials after the race about how bad her position on the bike was. I doubt anyone competing for $100k is going to intentionally handicap themselves to prove a point about how much better they are than everyone else.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
playguy wrote:
BigBoyND wrote:
playguy wrote:

Sam Long too. Best bike split at Daytona on the Argon 18 e118Tri+. But it's a tall bike lmao
Quote Reply
Re: Which would you choose P3X vs. new Canyon Speedmax [Raw Vegan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
E118 is not an e119

Geometry is very different.
Quote Reply
Re: Which would you choose P3X vs. new Canyon Speedmax [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I made this exact choice between these two bikes, and I chose the Canyon Speedmax SLX disc.

I'm coming from 7.5 years on my P5-6 which has been a great bike that got me to the big island three times.

Why Canyon?

For all those in the thread referencing Hoffman's comments about the P3X, it's notable that he, like most other Cervelo sponsored athletes, races the P5disc. The P3X is heavy, and although the Speedmax is not light weight either, there is a difference in favor of the Canyon. I ride a lot of hilly courses. For me, coming from a P5, the P5disc is just too similar to the bike I have to feel really excited about making a change, so it was not a strong contender from the onset.

Admittedly, my issues with the P3X have a lot to do with aesthetics, and that's purely subjective. The hump Bento box and rising top tube just doesn't grab me. Also, a friend who has a p3X had to tape shut his tool box...he couldn't figure out why his new bike was smelling so bad until he realized his sweat was leaking into the box. Taped it up with electrical tape. Could just be him! :) The adjustability on the P3X is easier to do than on the Speedmax, but both have a large range of adjustability and neither bike had a fit advantage in my case.

Price. $7800 USD for complete bike, including power meter, the same race wheels I would buy even on my own build, and even the tires! Just had to buy the pedals. I saved $3000USD (even with $343 USD for shipping and the import tax) over the P3X. I know people are commenting on the price of the new speedmax, but compared to what Cervelo costs in Taiwan, it is very competitive on price. I also saved money because the canyon arrives built. Even if I buy a bike from them, my LBS charges me for the build. Canyon...put the wheels on, seat post, pedals and adjust the bars and I'm all set.

The aero differences between the two are likely so marginal that choices in helmets and clothes will matter more than the difference between the frames. So I wanted to try something new, absolutely LOVE the look of the speedmax and its genuine integration, and I saved money. It arrives on Wednesday and looks like it's going to be warm and sunny in Taipei on Thursday and I can't wait to ride it!

Time will tell how happy I will be with this choice, but I'm excited for new bike day!
Quote Reply
Re: Which would you choose P3X vs. new Canyon Speedmax [Jae K] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jae K wrote:
Maca944 wrote:
Jae K wrote:
The beam bike style (no seat post) leaves me feeling fresher for my run—as a slow middle aged man I can use every help I can get on my run. :-)

In what way does the absence of a seat post benefit the fresness of your legs? I do like the looks of the P3X, but haven't heard this argument before.

I understand there are limitations to such qualitative claims. :-)
The Hoff seems to believe it—see around 1:37 in his report (YouTube below). And from my subjective POV, I agree with him—granted, the impact is likely less than tire choice, but still with all that time in the saddle, the small differences accrue, I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtHAVX95S0E

It really is a very different “feel”. The drivetrain and bottom bracket are ultra stiff with immediate transduction of torque to the wheels and zero flex—however I feel a slight “float” feel on the saddle. I would not go as far as to say this is passive suspension—it is hard to describe. I thought this might have been just in my head until I switched out my road bike (BMC Roadmachine One which has a conventional rear triangle) for my Cervelo P3X on my Wahoo Kickr for a long indoor workout. When rear hub is completely locked in, it is immediately apparent there is indeed slight flex with the seat. I went back and forth in this experiment, and it is indeed real—anyone can try this. Whether or not this actually translates into any additional “freshness” coming off the bike is purely subjective and individual—I feel it, but fully admit this might be unconscious bias from having spent so much money on this thing. ;-)

Thanks for your reply, it would be great to test ride the P3X and the Felt Ia I'm currently looking at. The flex argument sounds valid and interesting though, and if anything it can serve as a cognitive bias which is also fine ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Which would you choose P3X vs. new Canyon Speedmax [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duncan74 wrote:
E118 is not an e119

Geometry is very different.

Sam Long rode the e118Tri+ to the best bike split at Daytona and not the e119Tri+.

It's the same bike I own and I can tell you it's legit.
Quote Reply
Re: Which would you choose P3X vs. new Canyon Speedmax [eblackadder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eblackadder wrote:
For all the P3x, PX owners out there, how do you travel with the bike, assuming you don’t have the folding p5x bars?
I bought the Evoc Road Travel Bike Bag Pro 300L.
But since I bought it just as COVID hit, I still haven’t used it yet, so I can’t say how the bag performed. I chose this bag because it is designed to have room for aero bars with base bars.
The reviews look quite good, and you don’t need to touch the base bar—less tinkering means less that can go wrong, I think.
I hope to test the setup for real this year! :-)
Quote Reply

Prev Next