Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ironman Gets Win In COVID-19 Cancellation Suit [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Of the 85 teams that had already registered only 2 teams wanted the refund, the remaining teams all opted to be moved to 2021. And many of them inquired if they could help us out financially, by buying swag from us.

------

I know yall are a "indie" race and the SR is sorta a niche of the niche, but that's actually what I think would happen. People signing up for races, especially an LC event....WANT to do the event. So granted for the 1/1000 person who can only do it Nov '21 and not March '22 when the race gets moved to a new date *doesnt work* for said person, but for 95% of the people moving the race to a new day = "yeah ok cool I'll make it work".

Again does that mean they shouldn't offer a refund? I kinda think it would work because I dont think they'd lose all that much money, especially if it's only if the race is cancelled and not "yeah I dont want to race that anymore so I'm *injured* so I want my money back" (unless you buy race reg insurance).

But I also know the can of worms it sorta opens up.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Gets Win In COVID-19 Cancellation Suit [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Even our small race does not have all the money a team pays including on that day when the team registers. The runsignup fee is included in the $400 we charge per team - and that means we have only $380 in hand. We then constantly have to pay for items and services and these charges occur whether we have a race or not. And yes we can avoid some charges but certainly not all. And depending when you have to cancel or postpone it - you may have spent a ton of money already.

Most other races have to pay for staff too and again that cost of doing business is always there.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Gets Win In COVID-19 Cancellation Suit [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh for sure about some sunken costs. I think my point is more that more often then not actual refunds will be less than what you think.

So when someone brings up concert refund vs race refund imo they are different imo. Concert refund is pretty easy since there isn’t all that much sunken costs. Plus a race is physical + emotional attachment, ppl WANT to race so I think most are cool w postponing.

So I think the actual number of refunds a race would ever give out isn’t all that high cus I bet same person will just turn around and pay next year. That’s more my point. But I realize it’s a can of worms you don’t really want to open your biz up too if you don’t have too.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply

Prev Next