Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Rokas slipping and loose
Quote | Reply
I bought myself a pair of Roka prescription glasses. I was sold largely due to the comfortable fit of the test pairs and the whole Geko pad not slipping thing. But...

I have found that the pair with the actual prescription lenses don't fit the same and tend to slip a ton and generally feel loose. I reached out to Roka and they sent out a new pair in case the first pair was just a bad set, and while better than the first pair, the same issues are present.

Any one else experience this or have possible fixes?
Quote Reply
Re: Rokas slipping and loose [JohnnyRocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JohnnyRocket wrote:
I bought myself a pair of Roka prescription glasses. I was sold largely due to the comfortable fit of the test pairs and the whole Geko pad not slipping thing. But...

I have found that the pair with the actual prescription lenses don't fit the same and tend to slip a ton and generally feel loose. I reached out to Roka and they sent out a new pair in case the first pair was just a bad set, and while better than the first pair, the same issues are present.

Any one else experience this or have possible fixes?

as you asked for feedback, i will give you mine. i have bartons, halseys and konas. no slippage. this includes while running.

so, i guess what i'd ask you first is what frames you chose. perhaps you could let us know that. i personally have chosen these thicker plastic frames, with relatively stout temples.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just got my Roka Cambridge prescription glasses this week. No slippage at all - very impressed with the weight and fit of the frames.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did have a slipping issue with my pair of Oslos. In my case I ordered frames only and had a local optician install the lenses. My prescription is too high for Roka to fill. I think the problem is that the prescription lenses are significantly heavier than the blank lenses (see high prescription noted above). To fix the problem, I cut small pieces from furniture bumpers (e.g. from Home Depot) and stuck them to the inner part of the temples. This makes the temples tighter and pretty much solved the slippage problem.

Quote Reply
Re: Rokas slipping and loose [sathomasga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i hear what you're saying. that said, here's a comparison:

this is what i had in mind when i wrote above that i choose frames with beefy temples. i think it depends on your use, obviously, but i got so used to ROKAs never coming off my face under any circumstances that i got spoiled, and i got annoyed when my glasses for other uses (e.g., reading) would fall off my face. so, i read in the Bartons above.

i have had ROKAs with both their own prescription lens, and i've had 5 ROKA's that an optician has fitted with his lab's lenses. i don't have any trouble with any of them. but in each case, the ROKA frame i've chosen was like that Barton, in terms of the contour of the temples.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Rokas slipping and loose [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got the Cade in size regular. They do slip (a little), but more than that they just generally feel loose. For example, if I pull my ears down and look, only the very tip of the earpieces are making contact with my head, so all that Geko-ness isn't making contact with my head. If I take my glasses off, the temple pieces kind of go outward only to return to being inward towards the tip. This is on both pairs they sent me.

I do like the suggestion of wedging something in the hinge. I might try that. I am sort of disappointed I even have to though. Just didn't know if this was a common issue or if there was a fix.

I 100% DO like how light they are and there are no pressure points and generally are comfortable. I am trying to see if another pair is in my future or if this is a common issue.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sathomasga wrote:
I did have a slipping issue with my pair of Oslos. In my case I ordered frames only and had a local optician install the lenses. My prescription is too high for Roka to fill. I think the problem is that the prescription lenses are significantly heavier than the blank lenses (see high prescription noted above). To fix the problem, I cut small pieces from furniture bumpers (e.g. from Home Depot) and stuck them to the inner part of the temples. This makes the temples tighter and pretty much solved the slippage problem.
What kind did you use that were so thin? And, good work cutting them so small and then being able to stick them on! I would have needed the glasses (that obviously were NOT on my face) for that!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JohnnyRocket wrote:
What kind did you use that were so thin? And, good work cutting them so small and then being able to stick them on! I would have needed the glasses (that obviously were NOT on my face) for that!

Something like this. But not necessarily that exact product. I just used whatever I had lying around the house. I didn't use any of the actual bumpers themselves, but rather the excess plastic between the bumpers. FWIW, I stuck these on last March and haven't had either of them come loose in the past 10 months, so the adhesive seems to be pretty solid.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife had same issue with frames being too wide at the temples due to her high index prescription lenses changing the shape of the frames (not Roka).

Same solution as above - I just glued a piece of inner tube with contact cement between the frame and arm to tighten the temple - problem solved.
Quote Reply