Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Altra causing MORE pronation
Quote | Reply
I have a pair of Escalante 2.0s and a pair of Superior 4.5s. They both seem to cause me MORE pronation. And I don't mean more compared to another shoe...I mean I feel I pronate more in them than in bare feet. At least that is the way it feels and it is not the most comfortable.

Am I crazy? Any possible fixes?
Quote Reply
Re: Altra causing MORE pronation [JohnnyRocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JohnnyRocket wrote:
I have a pair of Escalante 2.0s and a pair of Superior 4.5s. They both seem to cause me MORE pronation. And I don't mean more compared to another shoe...I mean I feel I pronate more in them than in bare feet. At least that is the way it feels and it is not the most comfortable.

I tried a bunch of Altras on really wanting to make them fit with my Orthotics and I felt the same way as you. I felt the toe box was a lot bigger than any other shoe I had tried before and when I ran in them it "felt" like I was rolling in (pronating) more. The only other show I felt that with was the first gen Hoka's (I forget what model).
Quote Reply
Re: Altra causing MORE pronation [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you mean the Hoka Stinson

Jeroen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Re: Altra causing MORE pronation [TRIPRO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TRIPRO wrote:
I think you mean the Hoka Stinson

Jeroen

Sounds right.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JohnnyRocket wrote:
I have a pair of Escalante 2.0s and a pair of Superior 4.5s.........................it is not the most comfortable.

Life is too short to wear uncomfortable shoes.

Go to your local running store and try on a few pair.
I actually posted something on my coaching page just yesterday regarding this: https://www.facebook.com/Accelerate3Coaching

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zero drop and no posting, so they definitely aren't going to do anything to impede pronation...as to "causing" more than bare feet, maybe it's just a side effect of them being shoes, so they do have x amount of cushioning, letting you land significantly harder, and the resulting forces are giving you a sensation of (or really allowing) more of that inward motion/collapse.

The whole point of the shoes (along with the generous foot shaped toe box, which I really like) is to "encourage a low impact landing" - which translates to you need to keep yourself in alignment and not crash inward (at least not any more than is natural/good), because the shoe isn't going to do it for you.
Last edited by: skip: Jan 7, 21 13:28
Quote Reply
Re: Altra causing MORE pronation [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Easier said than done. Not many places carry my size.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what size are you?
What shoes are you looking for?

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
JohnnyRocket wrote:
I have a pair of Escalante 2.0s and a pair of Superior 4.5s.........................it is not the most comfortable.

Life is too short to wear uncomfortable shoes.

Go to your local running store and try on a few pair.
I actually posted something on my coaching page just yesterday regarding this: https://www.facebook.com/Accelerate3Coaching

Word! I was fortunate to have worked in a specialty running store so picking shoes was a bit easier. But comfort was (and still is) ALWAYS king.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
what size are you?
What shoes are you looking for?

I like lower drop shoes, but doesn't have to be 0 drop. The most comfortable pair I have run in were a set of Brooks Addictions back in the late 2000s. Before you reel at that heavy motion control shoe vs the more minimal Altras, the reason they were comfortable (I think) is because they have a straight last, NOT because of the posting. Currently, I am also wearing some NB 1080v2s with a Superfeet to make them feel straighter (my arch area doesn't feel the curve/ledge as much).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hmm
brooks launch come to mind
You may find the Nike tempo miler or infinity react to your liking

Specialty running stores don't stock many 15s and they tend to be in the most popular shoes. The Ghost or addiction, the NB 860/880, maybe the Pegasus, usually a beast/addiction or nb940/840 or Asics GT 4000 and maybe the GT 2000 or Cumulus. Maybe a Bondi or stinson.

What you can do is try on 14s. If you like the shoe then order the 15s. You'll pay at the store Brooks and iirc Asics will drop ship to your door. The other brands will ship to the store.

ETA: If you're ever swinging by Tucson LMK prior to. I'll take you into the Running Shop and get you sorted. I've got a few pro & AG runners/triathletes I do this for.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Jan 7, 21 13:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
hmm
brooks launch come to mind
You may find the Nike tempo miler or infinity react to your liking

Specialty running stores don't stock many 15s and they tend to be in the most popular shoes. The Ghost or addiction, the NB 860/880, maybe the Pegasus, usually a beast/addiction or nb940/840 or Asics GT 4000 and maybe the GT 2000 or Cumulus. Maybe a Bondi or stinson.

What you can do is try on 14s. If you like the shoe then order the 15s. You'll pay at the store Brooks and iirc Asics will drop ship to your door. The other brands will ship to the store.

ETA: If you're ever swinging by Tucson LMK prior to. I'll take you into the Running Shop and get you sorted. I've got a few pro & AG runners/triathletes I do this for.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I need some new water shoes and bought some Xero Aqua X Sports. I have this same thing! They feel like my feet pronate MORE than even just barefoot shoes. I think after a while, this feeling (not enjoyable) would get super annoying. I did not feel this with VFFs I had previously for water shoes.

Is this a thing? What could be causing it?
Quote Reply
Re: Altra causing MORE pronation [lightning33] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I came upon this thread as i am experiencing the same issue. I wear custom orthopedic inserts and love the space and feel of Altra Escalantes. My problem is that i am on my second pair and the inner heal wears then the air cushion ruptures. I contacted Altra the first time this happened and they instructed me to return to the retailer, and i picked up a new pair with the same result after 187 miles.

Do I have poor running form or should I find and alternative shoe and if so any recommendations?
Quote Reply
Re: Altra causing MORE pronation [lubemupski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Altra uses air cushioning? Like a Nike Air shoe?

If the inner heel is wearing, and I assume you mean the insert is wearing out (getting a hole) and then you're wearing down the midsole material. Might mean that your shoe is too large/doesn't fit your foot right and your foot is sliding around and friction is wearing out the inside of the shoe. If that's the case, you could try some aftermarket inserts, like superfeet, which have a plastic bottom and won't wear through. Sounds like you may be a heavy heel striker so your form may need some work (hard to say without seeing you run).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:

Most stores don’t stock a 14 either. Just 13.

I usually just order eight or ten pairs on Zappos and use the free shipping to return the unwanteds.

Then I just have my local shop order more of what I like when I need them as long as they still exist. Once the models change, I go through the process again.

All of my local shops charge a 15 or 20% restocking fee if I don’t like a pair and want to return. That gets old pretty quickly.
Quote Reply