Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Victoria 70.3 IM returns 2022
Quote | Reply
Just thought I would pass on some good news. I was offered a deferral for Ironman 70.3 Victoria to May 29, 2022. So they will be returning after all. This shows Ironman is really trying to make things happen and help those that had a specific race in mind (even if it is 2 years later). Working through Covid and business problems was tough.
Ironman has restored may faith in them.
Quote Reply
Re: Victoria 70.3 IM returns 2022 [Jgill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great news! I would like to try this event; any recommendations for/against the Victoria 70.3?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm so excited. They let me cancel my deferral to Boulder in 2021 (which I never wanted anyway) back to Victoria 2022. Can't wait!

Now just to get my lazy butt back in shape...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jgill wrote:
Just thought I would pass on some good news. I was offered a deferral for Ironman 70.3 Victoria to May 29, 2022. So they will be returning after all. This shows Ironman is really trying to make things happen and help those that had a specific race in mind (even if it is 2 years later). Working through Covid and business problems was tough.
Ironman has restored may faith in them.

Which event are you deferring from ? I see the Vic 70.3 page has now been updated with a 2022 event. Not restoring my faith anytime soon with their brutal refund and deferral policy. I was given the option of Tremblant or travelling to the US.

Maybe consider supporting a local grassroots race: https://www.thevictoriahalf.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Victoria 70.3 IM returns 2022 [writersblock12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ll be doing the Pinnacle Victoria Half this May, if COVID allows.
After two deferrals, the WTC forced me to choose another race, so I switched to the Renton, WA race in September. When I heard that they were restarting the Victoria 70.3, I asked for, and received, a transfer. The email arrived this morning.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Deferred from 2020 to 2021. Then that race was cancelled and did not get a race deferral of my choice. Finally they came through with my original choice just 2 years later which i am fine with!
Quote Reply
Re: Victoria 70.3 IM returns 2022 [Irezumi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't done this race but have friends that live there and have done it. I have heard it has a few minor issues but overall a fun race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Irezumi wrote:
Great news! I would like to try this event; any recommendations for/against the Victoria 70.3?

I haven't updated my blog in several years - does anyone blog anymore? - but here is some info on Vic 70.3. TL;DR - yes highly recommend! Feel free to PM me for any details or if you have any questions about the race or area.

http://yearofalison.blogspot.com/...ief-history-and.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Irezumi wrote:

I've done this race 2x.

Pros:
great run course, imo one of the best on the IM circuit that I've seen anywhere on the globe. Mostly packed dirt trails, shaded through the woods on the front side and some exposure on the backside to the sun, probably 70% shaded. The technical sections of the trail are maybe 400m long for the entire race
solid bike course, rollers, flats, a few sharp hills yet nothing that will break the legs and I'd say it's a pretty fair bike course. meaning it doesn't favor flat landers or climbers. Both will have their place to shine
temps are usually favorable for someone coming from AZ. Even a "hot" day is just warm
no long ass run from the swim exit to T1 like some races.
local craft beer scene isn't bad, isn't the best I've seen either
a fair bit to do outside of racing
everything downtown is walkable, good dining scene
1 transition area which is imo appreciated (cough cough St G 70.3)
USD is worth ~ 25% more than the Looney at today's valuation. IIRC I entered for < $225 USD the last time on T1 early entry.
Canadians! Some of the nicest people around.

Cons:
island traffic sucks balls - for the record I've always stayed in downtown Victoria. Haven't stayed in Sydney. Even race morning allocate minimal 25 minutes to get to parking and another 10 to stroll to transition. There are some pay parking spots close by and some right across the street but it's very limited
hotels can be pricey. Yet, you can also find some great deals. I stayed in a national lower budget chain last time and the rooms had just been redone, it had a kettle, micro, stove, fridge, bfast in the morning, great views of the harbor from the higher floors and I had a balcony to hang out on. Even the hotel snobs among us were giving it 2 thumbs up and the price was way lower than I'd have thought possible for downtown.
not a ton of airbnbs or lodging close to race site
not the easiest place to get to. You're flying in in a hopper or taking the ferry.
The f*cking awards ceremony takes place well after the race is over. (score 1 win for covid - no awards ceremony!) Hey WTC no one wants to hang around for as much time as the race took for awards.

All in all I've raced this race 2x and would race it again. I mean the weather, highs lower than the lows in Tucson. How can you not be sad about that.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Jan 5, 21 16:57
Quote Reply
Re: Victoria 70.3 IM returns 2022 [alligatorCAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alligatorCAN wrote:
I haven't updated my blog in several years - does anyone blog anymore? - but here is some info on Vic 70.3. TL;DR - yes highly recommend! Feel free to PM me for any details or if you have any questions about the race or area.

http://yearofalison.blogspot.com/...ief-history-and.html

What a fantastic write up and yes, some of us still blog :)

I signed up for 2021 because COVID permitting, I think that Pinnacle Fitness will do a good job with the event.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Im curious about this. Lance Watson and Paul Resenbrough sold their west subaru series to WTC pre WANDA years. That turned into Vic 70.3. All the other races WTC cancelled.

I think Paul is part of this new 2021 race? So now WTC comes back in 2022. I assume taking over this 2021 placeholder event?

Im just curious is all.

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Re: Victoria 70.3 IM returns 2022 [rhys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rhys wrote:
Im curious about this. Lance Watson and Paul Resenbrough sold their west subaru series to WTC pre WANDA years. That turned into Vic 70.3. All the other races WTC cancelled.

I think Paul is part of this new 2021 race? So now WTC comes back in 2022. I assume taking over this 2021 placeholder event?

Im just curious is all.

Not sure either.

I don’t think Pinnacle would go to all the trouble of organizing a half only for it to be a one year placeholder.

Optics make it look like Ironman recognized they made a mistake and are now trying to muscle their way back into the market for 2022 by allowing athletes to reverse their prior deferrals.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jgill wrote:
I haven't done this race but have friends that live there and have done it. I have heard it has a few minor issues but overall a fun race.
Biggest issues IMO (done the race 5 times) is logistics and parking. Race is 20-30 minutes north of downtown hotels. Parking near transition is limited for checkin and nonexistent race morning. Bring a sherpa to drop you off for check-in. Race morning if you can't have someone drop you off it is possible to park on the other end of the lake and take a shuttle to transition. Shuttles are slow school buses taking backroads. It takes forever. Swim start is 6 AM. You need to get up 4 AM at the latest. if you want to drive up, park, and take the shuttle. That's the biggest gripe I have about Victoria. The race itself is great. Swim is clean and temps ideal. Roads are safe. Run is a gravel and dirt path around the lake.

Ideally stay at an airbnb near the race and have a sherpa drop you off race morning. So so much less hassle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
writersblock12 wrote:
rhys wrote:

Im just curious is all.

Not sure either.

I don’t think Pinnacle would go to all the trouble of organizing a half only for it to be a one year placeholder.

Optics make it look like Ironman recognized they made a mistake and are now trying to muscle their way back into the market for 2022 by allowing athletes to reverse their prior deferrals.

BC is very restrictive and unfortunately I doubt this race will take place in 2021, hoping IMC at the end of Aug will take place
Quote Reply
Re: Victoria 70.3 IM returns 2022 [pokey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just checked here: https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid

Entered American, no symptoms, never had Covid, AM VACCINATED, purpose of travel Amateur Sports. It says I'd likely be denied entry even if vaccinated.

Victoria indie race moved to July 18th this year. Great. End of May was too early. So now a gamble whether the restrictions will be lifted by then or not?
Quote Reply