Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Is usual to have a higher heart rate when running than cycling?
Quote | Reply
In the last years my heart rate when running was record by the optical sensor of the watch. However I found this this data quite confusing due to the fact that on almost all runs (including easy runs of 6-8km) the maximum heart rate is over 200 or even 220 in some cases. A few weeks ago I said enough wrong data I need an hr belt for running and I bought one.
The use of the hr belt solved that records of maximum heart rate over 200 from the data however now the average heart rate on every run is higher. Even on easy runs the average heart rate is around 170 (maximum around 175).
Here is some data for comparison:

Today's easy run with the new hr belt (ANT+ connectivity thus I can connect it only to the watch):
Distance: 7.71 km
Pace: 05:16 min/km (one min/km slower than half marahton pb)
Avg hr: 170
Maximum hr: 180
Min hr: 85
First km: pace - 05:19 min/km; hr avg: 157
Perceived effort: easy, able to maintain a conversation and breathing easily through nose

Indoor cycling (easy/recovery) from Sunday using an phone app for training with the hr belt from the old watch (bluetooth connectivity and also not compatible with the current watch):
Power avg: 123w
Max power: 145w
Duration: 1h
Avg hr: 121
Maximum hr: 132
Min hr: 82
Perceived effort: easy, able to maintain a conversation and breathing easily through nose
Quote Reply
Re: Is usual to have a higher heart rate when running than cycling? [nav|gator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perfectly normal.
Quote Reply
Re: Is usual to have a higher heart rate when running than cycling? [nav|gator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Max achievable HR is a little different for most people between the two sports, with most having a slightly lower max HR when cycling.

However you are comparing sub-maximal efforts at each sport so there's little point comparing them. From your description it seems the run was relatively easy and the cycle was very easy. An average HR of 170bpm for a run would be fairly high intensity for most people, but it depends on your max HR. If that felt easy and you were breathing easily through your nose then I'd guess either the HR data is wrong or your max HR is higher than average.

I used to routinely get inaccurate readings in the 170-175bpm range from Garmin chest straps for the first 10mins of winter runs. Once I got a little sweaty and the connection to the strap pads was better it would sort itself out. Rarely had the issue in winter. I've been using a Scosche Rhythm+ for about 5 years now and it's been very reliable. however if it's loose it can record your cadence instead of your HR, presumably due to consistent variations in light leakage as you move during your stride. I only get really reliable data from the optical sensor when worn on my upper arm above the bicep. When I tried the wrist or forearm the data was not good.
Quote Reply
Re: Is usual to have a higher heart rate when running than cycling? [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One issue that could happen is that if the HR strap is not lubricated to transmit HR it'll pick up run cadence and broadcast that as your HR. This often happens when it's colder and you don't sweat as much. What I've been doing when running outside lately is wetting the entire HR strap so that it stays solidly in place. Have the strap portion wet helps it from slipping down, which can happen without much sweat in colder situations.

As to the main question, you are using more muscles for running and therefore need a higher heart rate for a comparable effort. As a reference point, in 70.3 races my run HR tends to be nearly 10 bpm higher than bike HR even at consistent efforts for that race distance.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Is usual to have a higher heart rate when running than cycling? [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Next time I'll try to wet the entire hr belt (it's a hrm-tri) instead of only the sensors area. In this period the temperatures are below 10ºC and it's windy most days thus I'm not sweating too much on easy runs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Normal for it to be higher. But not 50bpm higher on same effort.

I often got cadence with the optical wrist based HRM. Chest strap should eliminate that.

You're also likely doing your easy run way too fast
Quote Reply
Re: Is usual to have a higher heart rate when running than cycling? [indianacyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
indianacyclist wrote:
Normal for it to be higher. But not 50bpm higher on same effort.

I often got cadence with the optical wrist based HRM. Chest strap should eliminate that.

You're also likely doing your easy run way too fast

I don't know what it is, but as a bike riding person my HR is lower for a given RPE running versus on the bike. Not higher.

For me to reach my hour power for the bike HR on a run, I pretty much have to destroy myself. And I usually won't as I don't want to risk injury to impress a bunch of people with my slow AF running pace.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The trend is towards higher running hr but im sure factors such as economy come into play. If youre a lifelong runner and newer to the bike, then i could see bike hr being higher

Strava
Quote Reply