Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Latex tubes with screw stem
Quote | Reply
What latex tubes with screw down stems do you use and where do you get them? I’m not looking for the fastest tubes in the world, just trying t9 find some reasonable ones at a reasonable price for latex tubes.

Not a coach. Not a FOP Tri/swimmer/biker/runner. Barely a MOP AGer.
But I'm learning and making progress.
Quote Reply
Re: Latex tubes with screw stem [LEBoyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Like this? Removable valve? Or is a screw-down stem something else I'm unaware of? https://www.jensonusa.com/...mpetition-Latex-Tube

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Re: Latex tubes with screw stem [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm assuming OP is referring to stems with threads and a nut on the outside so you don't push it in when you attach a pump head, which can damage latex tubes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have never even thought about securing the valve on a latex tube.
Quote Reply
Re: Latex tubes with screw stem [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
I'm assuming OP is referring to stems with threads and a nut on the outside so you don't push it in when you attach a pump head, which can damage latex tubes

Good point. Hadn't thought of that. I have never had a latex tube become damaged from pushing the tube in, so if that's the OP's interest, my 2 cents of encouragement would be to not worry too much about it. For context, I run exclusively latex in all my road and track tires. I don't keep them pumped regularly because we have a couple bikes we don't ride often, so I've definitely pushed them all the way in more than a few times. I could just be lucky!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, I meant the screw to hold the stem. The purpose is not to hold it in place while airing, but to keep it from clicking while riding. I recently purchased the bike and it has latex tubes. I heard some clicking and didn’t know what it was. Then I noticed tape on the stems and found a GCN tech or similar YouTube video that showed how to put tape on the stems to keep them from clicking. My son looked it over and said that yes it was the stems clicking. I figured that if the video existed the clicking must be somewhat common and if somewhat common, then someone must make latex tubes with screw stems,

Apparently the clicking may not be as common as I thought. :). I thought I’d just ask and get several answers of where to buy them.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the tape over stem method to prevent that noise too. Not sure how the GCN Tech show informed you to do it but I just take a small piece of electrical tape and press it straight onto the valve top which punctures the tape. Then I slide tape down and secure it smoothly to the rim, parallel to the direction of travel.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, that’s pretty much what they said and of course it’s not difficult. I just thought a lock screw would remove the need to do that.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Makes total sense. I'm not sure I've ever seen latex with a ring/nut on the stem.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not familiar with stems that have threads, but of course there are valve extenders with them. I use Silca Speedshields on my wheels. I have no illusions that they're making me significantly more aero but they look nice and I buy my tubes from Silca anyways.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Before installing the tube check where on the stem it exits the rim,then check the diameter difference between stem and hole. Knowing that wrap some tape around the stem til it fits snug—->no rattling

-shoki
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LEBoyd wrote:
What latex tubes with screw down stems do you use and where do you get them? I’m not looking for the fastest tubes in the world, just trying t9 find some reasonable ones at a reasonable price for latex tubes.
You mean like this?

I don't know of any brands making them. If you're trying to stabilize the stem against clicking noises, probably best to just use a piece of tape.
Quote Reply
Re: Latex tubes with screw stem [HTupolev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, like the photo is what I was wondering. Guess no one makes them and tape it is. Not a big deal.

Thanks folks.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tape is the most common option. https://www.slowtwitch.com/...nder_Trick_3758.html

I've also seen folks use a section of drinking straw pushed down on the stem. It reduces the gap, and the soft plastic eliminates the rattling noise. The regular size straws from Starbucks work well.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply