Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Maltodextrin plus ???
Quote | Reply
Trying to be as frugal as possible with a fueling mix.

I have heard the 2:1 malto to fructose ratio like its gospel. The more labels I look at the more confused I am about what a straight forward training mix would be. Other recommendations are wide ranging in terms of ratio.

Is there a downside to mixing maltodextrin with dextrose???...I vaguely recall someone told me they compete for uptake but they (malto & dextrose) are both in EFS (maltodextrin, sucrose, dextrose per the label of the old version in my pantry).

Tailwind (dextrose + fructose) seems like a valid choice for a penny-pincher and has a lot of great reviews...am I missing out on maltodextrin?

Maltodextrin plus Tailwind perhaps? Straight malto?

Any wisdom on the above would be greatly appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Maltodextrin plus ??? [bthiel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The source of your confusion is probably due to various names for various sugars.

Glucose and dextrose are effectively the same thing...just different names. Maltodextrin is a long chain of dextrose molecules.

Sucrose is table sugar and is a 1:1 ratio of glucose/dextrose and fructose.

When calculating your ratio, maltodextrin, glucose and dextrose all add up together. If there is sucrose/table sugar, you need to divide it up between the glucose and fructose.

I use carbo-gain (pure maltodextrin/dextrose) with some added table sugar as a home-brew sports drink. The only problem is with 2:1, you have to add so much table sugar that it starts to get VERY sweet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
try this thread there is a wealth of info in it regarding your question, and probably more than you are looking for.

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/?post=last-7417228#last
my version of it is I like maltodextrin due to the low osmolity that means it does not upset my stomach and also does not taste sweet, so I can pack a lot of calories into a little bottle, the fructose and glucose are quick forms of energy, even though maltodextrin is not that complex it is long chain which means ti takes a bit of time to break down to glucose. Table sugar sucrose is a disaccharide meaning it is 2 sugars attached meaning it does take a very small amount of time to break into the sub units of glucose and fructose (not much but some time) whereas the glucose and fructose are ready for use. The issue with sucrose, glucose and dextrose is they taste sweet and that can be off putting of you add too much. Maltodextrin has only a hint of sweetness to none at all depending on the chain length and quality.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to have a complicated formula with various sugars and salts and even a vitamin B supplement all mixed together. Eventually I moved on from this complicated mix to pure malto and a bit of table salt, with Crystal Light or some other sweetness and flavor substitute. I still add a squirt of vitamin B to the drink, but only because I bought a lot of it and have not other use for it.

You can make this overly complex, and there are plenty of competing theories and scientific papers on it. In the end I didn't notice any difference (and at the time I was training 20-25 hours/wk SBR). For anything shorter than a few hours, I'll grab a gatorade or other commercial drink and be happy.

---
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been goin with malto then an electrolyte powder to round it out. No fancy mixing just malto and electrolytes!

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Read here:

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...t=last-7417228#first

(very specific & detailed info if you scroll down to my comments)

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Last edited by: DrAlexHarrison: Jan 4, 21 14:58
Quote Reply