Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zwift jungle circuit - best place to switch to mtn bike and back?
Quote | Reply
I recently learned the trick about swapping to a mtn bike on the zwift jungle circuit mid-event (Hit "A" to slow the bike in that screen then "T" for garage once you're stopped.)

My question is where the 'best' places are to swap bikes to lose minimum time, assuming you're doing the full jungle circuit in-out.

I heard on the Zwift chatter that some folks like to wait until an uphill to switch bikes because the bike stops faster pre-switch, but there aren't any substantive climbs for the first few minutes of the jungle circuit. I've been swapping my bikes anywhere from 30s-60s once I'm on dirt roads (where the dirt clouds are coming up), depending on the group I'm riding with.

I literally have no idea where to swap back to the road bike. I def swapped back to the road bike way too early the last 3 times I've done it, so any tips on where the definitive 'end' of the jungle circuit is where the mtn bike can be 100% abandoned, would be appreciated. In particular, I've been confused near the end of the jungle as there are dirt roads but no further 'dirt clouds' being kicked up, so I'm unsure as to which bike is better. Any pictures of the best spot to switch back would be helpful!

Also, does the mtn bike go slower in the jungle on the wooden bridge sections? Seemed like it to me.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift jungle circuit - best place to switch to mtn bike and back? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Assuming you are discussing todays Fondo, I switch right before the bridge because of the 2% grade, and switch back as soon as I hit pavement. I also feel like the MTB is slower on the bridges, but I always seem to have someone on a road bike holding my wheel on the way down. So, I let them lead through the bridges, then dust them on the climb. I am interested to see what others do.

You can also use the sync screen and it hits the brakes. My wife and I are both on Ipads, and hers froze on that screen forcing her to close the app, but I used to use it on PC all the time with no issues.

I am a bad runner.
I met Javier Gomez once.
I don't speak in miles.
I have opinions.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift jungle circuit - best place to switch to mtn bike and back? [Megaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you or someone could specify what timestamp on this video link below would correspond to the 'pavement' where you get back on the road bike, would be helpful, thanks!

Is it at 25:43 where the roadside orange/white markers start showing up again?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xScgq-PFHw
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift jungle circuit - best place to switch to mtn bike and back? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Given that it takes probably 15s+ to swap bikes (hit "A" to slow quickly, "T" to get to garage, scroll through the menu to find your new bike, exit back to the ride, reaccelerate from a standing stop), I'm not sure you save any time by swapping bikes. Certainly, there is no savings swapping out within the loop. There might be a minor advantage to going to an aero road bike one you exit the loop and are climbing back towards town (though that is not technically part of the route...which only does the descent don to the loop).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift jungle circuit - best place to switch to mtn bike and back? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's close but for sure I was passed by a few lower wattage riders after the jungle circuit on the zwift fondo because they were on mtn bikes. They def got an advantage overall despite the time lost swapping, which made me consider it.

I swapped today and swapped back way too early but still was able to rejoin the riders I started with before leaving jungle - I suspect if I swapped back later I would have had a 20 to 30 second advantage on them.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift jungle circuit - best place to switch to mtn bike and back? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
Given that it takes probably 15s+ to swap bikes (hit "A" to slow quickly, "T" to get to garage, scroll through the menu to find your new bike, exit back to the ride, reaccelerate from a standing stop), I'm not sure you save any time by swapping bikes. Certainly, there is no savings swapping out within the loop. There might be a minor advantage to going to an aero road bike one you exit the loop and are climbing back towards town (though that is not technically part of the route...which only does the descent don to the loop).

According to an article on Zwift Insider, the fastest Mountain bike beats the fastest Road bike on one jungle loop by over 1 min (1:08 I believe). And the fastest mountain bike beats the fastest gravel bike by about 20 seconds. So can definitely be worth it to switch from road to mountain for that section. Though, other factors like group size would come into play in the decision. if you switch and never regain contact with your group...that’s another story. https://zwiftinsider.com/gravel-bike-results
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I switch on the top of the paved hill on my way to the jungle them switch then switch back as I start up the paved hill to leave the jungle.

I may loose contact with the group as we descend but I quickly catch and pass them on the dirt.

Even if people catch back up to you as you switch back, they pushed a lot more to catch you.
Quote Reply