Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Electronic shifting upgrade
Quote | Reply
I have a Felt IA16 that I'm looking to upgrade to electronic shifting for this season. It currently has the stock 105 components.

My wishlist:
2x11 with a compact crank
Ability to run bigger than current 28t in the rear

I'm not opposed to replacing the whole groupset, but I'm happy to keep my crankset. I won't be doing the wrenching, so that's not a concern. Wireless worries me a bit, maybe irrationally so.

I'm thinking Ultegra Di2. What else should I be thinking about?
Quote Reply
Re: Electronic shifting upgrade [UK2ME] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did that upgrade to my IA16: https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...(Felt_IA16)_P6572184

No worries about Di2 electronic. It is fantastic.

I would replace the crankset. The original is total garbage-- very heavy and flexible. Any upgrade will be massive.
Quote Reply
Re: Electronic shifting upgrade [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I followed it as you did it. Glad you're still happy with it! Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something obvious - I've essentially taken the last year off being a tech geek and keeping up with the changes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why won't you be doing the wrenching?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
UK2ME wrote:
I have a Felt IA16 that I'm looking to upgrade to electronic shifting for this season. It currently has the stock 105 components.

My wishlist:

I'm not opposed to replacing the whole groupset, but I'm happy to keep my crankset. I won't be doing the wrenching, so that's not a concern. Wireless worries me a bit, maybe irrationally so.

I'm thinking Ultegra Di2. What else should I be thinking about?

The list of electronic options isn’t long. Sram etap and Di2 are obviously the most popular. Your fear is as irrational as someone who is concerned about buying a cell phone.
Quote Reply
Re: Electronic shifting upgrade [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:

Because I'd rather it were done right, honestly. I left my husband a year ago and he took care of everything, so I'm still learning the ropes of basics and building up my toolkit. I'm OK with paying someone to do the serious work, and I have a great LBS that I trust and a tri club discount.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
UK2ME wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:

Because I'd rather it were done right, honestly. I left my husband a year ago and he took care of everything, so I'm still learning the ropes of basics and building up my toolkit. I'm OK with paying someone to do the serious work, and I have a great LBS that I trust and a tri club discount.

It is really hard to do it wrong.

Tools are minimal and cheap.

Also, if you do it yourself, you will know exactly how it works and you can fix it if there is ever a problem.
Last edited by: jimatbeyond: Jan 3, 21 12:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
UK2ME wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:

It is really hard to do it wrong.

Tools are minimal and cheap.

Beginners can still really screw it up, sometimes dangerously. Like incorrectly setting the limiter screw of the RD, and then you're riding hard, and you've removed your dork disk and the derailleur goes into your spokes - have seen this wipeout of 2 very experienced riders, whom both I presumed incorrectly wrenched their bikes. (Ambulances had to pick them up)

And did you even look at the diagrams from the above poster's DI2 planning?

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1/Di2_Detailed_Upgrade_Write-Up_(Felt_IA16)_P6572184

I can wrench my bike and that does NOT look simple to me. Yes, I can do it, but I guarantee there will be much swearing and tons of wasted time.
Last edited by: lightheir: Jan 3, 21 12:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:

Jim-I know you advocate repeatedly for people to do their own wrenching, but someone people just don’t want to do it. I’m among them. I value more time more than my money when it comes to working on a bike. You may not, but it’s not unreasonable for someone to feel differently.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Jan 3, 21 18:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
UK2ME wrote:

My wishlist:

What else should I be thinking about?

How much bigger in the rear? The short cage RD will handle up to 30t officially (and unofficially up to 32t). If you want the ability to fit 34t and up, you should be looking at the medium cage RD.

One thing worth thinking about is the di2 wireless communications unit. Totally unnecessary for the proper functioning of di2, but useful as it allows you to change head unit screens from the bars (with the hidden hood buttons), see the di2 battery levels on your head unit (removes the fear of a dead battery), and to update/reprogram your di2 with your phone, rather than having to plug in laptop.
Quote Reply
Re: Electronic shifting upgrade [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m confused by this. I had my RD catch my spokes just as you’ve described. My bike came to a screeching halt. But this can only happen if you’re climbing uphill right? Wouldn’t you have to be in the largest cog? I guess I’m not sure how you could be riding hard and have this happen at any decent rate of speed. Of note, my issue was a RD hanger failure. Not incorrectly wrenched gears.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have eTap on my TT bike. Ultegra Di2 on the disc road bike and Campy EPS on the rim brake road bike. Campy would be my first choice because I like the lever shape and the durability never disappoints. For most people though I would do eTap. It works great, it is stupidly simple with no internal wires and you can swap batteries from the FD to RD if you forget to charge at some point. Ultegra-level Di2 would be my last choice. There is something always off with shifting or rubbing brakes,... All the complexity of EPS but way more annoying niggling problems and I doubt it will last anywhere near as long. Knowing that the new Di2 will probably be wireless also suggests that Shimano got caught napping when eTap came out and the technology is solid.
Quote Reply
Re: Electronic shifting upgrade [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triguy86 wrote:
I’m confused by this. I had my RD catch my spokes just as you’ve described. My bike came to a screeching halt. But this can only happen if you’re climbing uphill right? Wouldn’t you have to be in the largest cog? I guess I’m not sure how you could be riding hard and have this happen at any decent rate of speed. Of note, my issue was a RD hanger failure. Not incorrectly wrenched gears.

You can be accelerating quickly while in that gear, esp when down shifting to make a hard jump to stay on a wheel.

Happened both times.in a fast pace line where we picked up the pace. Rear wheel of those guys were totaled, spokes.everywhere. Since then I've been super careful it doest happen to me.

There's a reason new bikes come with a dork disc. If bikes just stopped with the rd going too far in, no need for a dork disc.
Quote Reply
Re: Electronic shifting upgrade [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
triguy86 wrote:

You can be accelerating quickly while in that gear, esp when down shifting to make a hard jump to stay on a wheel.

Happened both times.in a fast pace line where we picked up the pace. Rear wheel of those guys were totaled, spokes.everywhere. Since then I've been super careful it doest happen to me.

There's a reason new bikes come with a dork disc. If bikes just stopped with the rd going too far in, no need for a dork disc.

Which rear derailleurs did they have?
Quote Reply