Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Dealing with a partner’s abusive ex [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
As anticipated, the behavior hasn’t stopped, just ebbs and flows.

This past week he texted and accused her of lying and manipulating the kids (the details are irrelevant; both are complete fiction) and yesterday during pick up, after telling him to stop ripping up the grass and driveway when he comes—he does a K-turn and burnout in the grass for effect nearly every time—he called her crazy in front of the kids, before peeling out of the driveway again.

Recently she emailed him and said that the kids will be reachable by skype nightly, as per his request, and that all other communication between her and him will be via email, and that as long as he continues his belligerence he won’t have access to her phone via calling or texting. Naturally his response was, fuck you, you don’t make the rules. Nothing in the divorce or custody order specifically states that she must be reachable by phone or text at all times so I don’t think this runs afoul of her obligations, but I don’t know for certain. I’m not sure how to handle the ongoing pickup belligerence except to get a restraining order, which will complicate pick up and drop off more than it is already.

I hate to say it, but the answer is lawyers. Document, make sure she’s acting within advice from legal counsel, and when appropriate, she has the option to revisit his parental rights if necessary. Turnover of kids during visitation under supervision may be the best thing, but again, I suspect that’s a legal issue.

Sorry this is still going on, but unfortunately as you said, fairly predictable.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Prep the driveway beforehand

Quote Reply
Re: Dealing with a partner’s abusive ex [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was thinking of that last night actually. Can’t say he wasn’t warned.

But then he’s stuck in my driveway for however long, and that won’t end well.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
I was thinking of that last night actually. Can’t say he wasn’t warned.

But then he’s stuck in my driveway for however long, and that won’t end well.

Post a sign.

Also have video running
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The kids are pretty young, right? Like 3, I think? You have 15 years ahead of you. The most important thing is to survive it— no deadly encounters with guns. To the extent you can absorb trifling insult, you should. An insult is meaningless when the opinion of the one who insults is meaningless. You guys are strong and can handle it.

It’s not a surprise that this guy is calling your wife a liar in front of the kids. He does it away from her as well. When he does it in front of you, your response is important. A calm, “no” seems appropriate. You don’t need a fight, but the kids are observing and this guy is trying to re-write reality.

This guy’s behavior is a temper tantrum. A temper tantrum at 45 looks a lot like a temper tantrum at 2. Obviously, you don’t respond to a temper tantrum with one of your own.

Although windy’s suggestion isn’t practical, I do like changing the dynamics by changing environmental conditions. It takes mental agility and creativity to deal with this abusive behavior. Those are good skills to model for the kids. In a way it also builds confidence. It’s scary to interact with someone who is mentally and verbally abusive. It takes bravery to say “no” and remain calm. The kids will see it and it will be very meaningful to them. You will be able to observe them learning to identify and respond to abusive behavior.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What if you/she just pulled out your cellphone and hit record every time the guy is around. I don't mean secretively. Let him know it will be happening, and why.

He may seethe about it but if he has any sense at all, he wouldn't pull this crap knowing there would be video evidence of it.
Quote Reply

Prev Next