Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Composite vs carbon sole cycling shoes
Quote | Reply
For those of you that have used both, is there much of a performance difference? Obviously, there’s a price premium for carbon soled shoes...I’m just wondering if it’s worth it.
Quote Reply
Re: Composite vs carbon sole cycling shoes [JoelO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I definitely feel the difference. The plastic ones bend a lot more especially in the higher power ranges. It also feels like the shoe is bending in half when I’m sprinting.
If you are someone that can barely hit 200 watts and is in a really tight budget, they work just fine. But if not get at least an entry level carbon soled shoe. They have lower stack height which helps with bike fit and stability.
I have also used both $275 and $400 carbon soles shoes. The $275 ones are the Shimano TR9. It’s a bit soft for my taste but it does help with dampen vibrations which is good for entry level riders. The $400 ones were the highest level shoe that bony sold. They were insanely stiff and I definitely had complete power transfer in my sprint, especially since I am in the 1400 watt range in my sprint. They were terrible at absorbing road vibrations and a beginner would probably get fatigued from the vibrations alone.
I personally preferred my bonus ride performance, unfortunately though, it did not align with my foot’s arch and felt it digging in too much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used both extensively (composite referring to fiberglass-reinforced nylon).

The carbon soles are slightly lighter, significantly stiffer, and a few mm thinner.

All that being said, stiffer soles do not translate to better power transfer. Numerous studies have conformed this. It's usually a question of if you prefer the feel, and want the higher-end features that usually come with the more expensive (and thus carbon-soled) kicks.

Personally, the only reason carbon shoes make any sense is that you can typically keep cycling shoes for years, so the yearly premium for top-of-the-line shoes is far less than for other shoes (ex. running). I have some Sidi Ergo2 Carbons that are my every day riding shoes. They are just about dead....but I bought them in 2008. I race tris in some $79 Garneau LA84s (composite sole, laceup) that are lighter and more aero, but not as stiff or adjustable while riding.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMO a huge difference. The carbon ones are so much lighter and really feel like the power transfer is going to where you want it....the pedals. I have had a number of shoes through he decades of cycling, and whenever I've opted for the carbon it has been very appreciated by my body in the way the lack of flex has been felt as power. Currently I've moved to a couple of Lake models which have been real eye openers. Great materials in the uppers and a thin yet stiff powerful sole. Try them side by side I think you'll see the expense is well worth it.

Kiwami Racing Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JoelO wrote:
For those of you that have used both, is there much of a performance difference? Obviously, there’s a price premium for carbon soled shoes...I’m just wondering if it’s worth it.

A tangent, but carbon soles are still composite soles. Composite merely means something made of two different class of materials. In this case, fiber reinforced plastic. There's still a plastic substance in "carbon" soles (usually cured epoxies reinforced with carbon fiber).

Having said that, carbon fiber is a lot stiffer than nylon or any other sort of fibers used for reinforcement purposes.

Personally, I'd buy the CFRP shoes when they go on sale (haven't worn nylon reinforced shoes in almost a decade).
Quote Reply
Re: Composite vs carbon sole cycling shoes [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If there are any real differences in power it's very very hard to measure and the difference is tiny. I tried to tease out a difference with a pair of Spd touring shoes (flexible) and my lake mtb shoes (stiff carbon). I feel a difference but there's no measurable difference.
Most of my bike shoes have carbon soles but I can't feel much between them.
Quote Reply
Re: Composite vs carbon sole cycling shoes [Charleslo_99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your shoes aren’t damping anything like that. Your tires are. Not sure where you got that.

To me the expensive shoes just usually fit and feel nicer. Hold out for a sale or Ebay for folks who bought a wrong size.

I have bought my Giro SLX all for under $200. One pair was ridden once by someone, wrong size, then $100 to my door.
Quote Reply
Re: Composite vs carbon sole cycling shoes [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
Your shoes aren’t damping anything like that. Your tires are. Not sure where you got that.

To me the expensive shoes just usually fit and feel nicer. Hold out for a sale or Ebay for folks who bought a wrong size.

I have bought my Giro SLX all for under $200. One pair was ridden once by someone, wrong size, then $100 to my door.

If there's any damping in the shoe, its probably the insole (and the knit of the socks being worn.).
I got a new pair of Lake carbon soled shoes 6 months ago. Initially they felt almost too stiff on the ball of my foot.
I swapped the insole to something sliggtly thicker (the Lake one is pretty thin) and they are more comfy under foot now.
Quote Reply
Re: Composite vs carbon sole cycling shoes [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone...that’s helpful. My LG tri shoes are getting a little long in the tooth so I think I will use this opportunity to try out some shoes with upgraded features such as carbon soles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m 185 lbs and sprint at 1600 watts aaaand... I can’t tell a difference. What I look for in a shoe is fit, support, easily adjustable while riding, low stack, good ventilation. A lot of that is only achieved with a carbon sole, but I’ve never been riding, whether on bont vapors or entry level spd shoes, and thought the shoe was too flexible.
Quote Reply
Re: Composite vs carbon sole cycling shoes [Karl.n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Composite vs carbon sole cycling shoes [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
plant_based wrote:
How tall are you?

192 cm, size 46/47 shoes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It may depend on the brand.

I cannot feel the difference between a Sidi Carbon, Carbon Composite or Nylon Composite except for the weight.

Other brands may vary.
Quote Reply
Re: Composite vs carbon sole cycling shoes [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ordered a pair Fizik Transiro Infinito R3’s. We’ll see how they fit and feel. They do have carbon soles.
Quote Reply