Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Di2 Compatibility question...
Quote | Reply
Hi all, I currently have a non-syncro Di2 setup consisting of the newer gen Ultegra derailleurs, and the two button (two buttons on each) tt brake levers and extension end shifters.

I'll be getting a hydraulic setup which I guess means the single button hydro brake levers. What happens if I continue to use the two button extension shifters?? Will I still control the FD with those? Or do the hydro levers automatically throw the system into syncro??

Thx!
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 Compatibility question... [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
More importantly, what battery do you have? Specifically, the newer DN110 is what enables synchroshift.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don’t have the exact answer to your question....

I run almost the same setup but with single button brake levers for caliper brakes. So this should run the same way as you are proposing.

I have my system setup to run the RD from the brake levers; right hand to a harder gear, left hand to an easier gear. I figure if I am standing I would only be shifting the rear derailleur anyway. This was easily setup on my computer using the desktop etube app.
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 Compatibility question... [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is synchroshift? One button for downshifting or upshifting?

I liked the look of the double button shifter, and was wondering what happened?
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 Compatibility question... [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Disregard. Just looked into it. Interesting...I think I'd rather have the older version.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
I'll be getting a hydraulic setup which I guess means the single button hydro brake levers. What happens if I continue to use the two button extension shifters?? Will I still control the FD with those? Or do the hydro levers automatically throw the system into syncro??
The default will be your old 2-button will behave as they are now, and the new hydro brake levers will shift the RD up and down.
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 Compatibility question... [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
SBRcanuck wrote:
The default will be your old 2-button will behave as they are now, and the new hydro brake levers will shift the RD up and down.

So even if I have the newer battery (need to check), they would behave as you've stated, and they won't automatically shift the front derailleur?

Though maybe I'll just bite the bullet and try synchro with the single button shifters all around....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
exxxviii wrote:
SBRcanuck wrote:

So even if I have the newer battery (need to check), they would behave as you've stated, and they won't automatically shift the front derailleur?

Though maybe I'll just bite the bullet and try synchro with the single button shifters all around....

Assuming you have the newer battery, you customize shift setting using the etube software
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
exxxviii wrote:
SBRcanuck wrote:

If you want front shifting with single buttons, you will need to use the synchro mode. Although with synchro, you can still override the front shifting with a 2 button shifter.
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 Compatibility question... [mcalista] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK so if I understand correctly though...... regardless of how I configure/program this, IF I use the Di2 hydraulic single button brake levers, there is no way for me to manually shift the front derailleur from the base bar?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
Yes. It is a little confusing, but the buttons do not affect shift mode. They are independent. The buttons are assigned to a shift action, and that never changes. Separately, you program shift modes (manual, semi-synchro, and synchro). So, you would leave your bike in Manual mode with the new buttons. Or, if you have the ability with the newer battery, you could program a synchro mode and switch to that. And, you can switch in and out of synchro while riding.
SBRcanuck wrote:
IF I use the Di2 hydraulic single button brake levers, there is no way for me to manually shift the front derailleur from the base bar?
Correct.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you use synchro mode, then front shifting will occur with gear changes automatically.

For example, if you are on the base bars in the big ring as you approach a corner, and start working your way down the gears with the single button. Initially this will be through rear shifts, but when the gearing reaches the predetermined shift point, it will then shift down into the small ring (with a compensating rear shift). As you accelerate out of the corner, and start moving up the gears (again with the single button), you will shift up the cassette until it reaches the shift point, then it will shift back up into the big ring.

With manual or semi-synchro modes, you can't access front shifting with a single button.
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 Compatibility question... [mcalista] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK, sorry, another (hypothetical) question...

If I have an older battery that isn't syncro enabled, and I install all single button shifters......how would the FD ever be shifted?

Etap is starting to sound more and more attractive....lol
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wouldn't it be easier to buy a new battery?
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 Compatibility question... [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Wouldn't it be easier to buy a new battery?

I was kind of getting at - how could I use hydraulics and still be able to manually shift the FD from the base bar.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
OK, sorry, another (hypothetical) question...

If I have an older battery that isn't syncro enabled, and I install all single button shifters......how would the FD ever be shifted?

Etap is starting to sound more and more attractive....lol

Yes, it’s possible to control both derailleurs in this situation. You can program different buttons to do what ever you want using the E-TUBE software.

You could set it so that your extension buttons shift the rear derailleur, and the base bar buttons shift the front derailleur. ...not sure that’s an ideal solution, but at least it’s a solution to you hypothetical.
Quote Reply