Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Spartan Race - 21% off flash sale
Quote | Reply
Just saw that Spartan Race is doing a flash sale of 21% off all of their entries.

Spartan Race | Become Unbreakable

I have never done one of these and never really considered it before. For those of you that have. What are your takes on it? I have heard that OCR is dying or that there is no such thing as a real competition because there is such a long line at each obstacle that you wait around more than you are actually racing. Also, how do triathletes usually fair in these events/are they even competitive?

Anyway, just thought I would share for anyone who races these and wants the discount.
Last edited by: LifeTri: Dec 31, 20 11:10
Quote Reply
Re: Spartan Race - 21% off flase sale [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a friend who races them. If you race "elite" you are racing and you can win prize money. (this is what he does)

If you just do the "event" category - its an event and not a race.

There is a fair amount of "upper body strength" needed to do well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I've done a pile of OCR races. I race myself and the clock. Yes, sometimes there are lines at obstacles but not really horrible. Lots of upper body and grip required. Think monkey bars and pull ups for days.

If you can run decently you can leave just about 90% of the field behind. Lots of walking at these events. A cool community and lots of fun. Do a long race and get more fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife has raced quite a few and I've usually spent the day on the longer ones volunteering.

Yes, upper body strength is important. As is being able to run (and go from running to said upper body event... you'll need to climb a rope and do monkeybars at basically every one I've ever seen, as well as scale some things) if you want to do well. Be very comfortable with doing burpees, maybe a LOT of them.

I highly suggest from my time volunteering and observing that you do the first one "for fun."

There are backups at some stations... but if you are towards the frontish (which as another poster said, basically requires you to be running when most folks will be jogging or walking) it's unlikely you'll get slowed down too much. This also can depend on what "wave" you go off in. If you're towards the tail end, obviously you're going to have to deal with slower folks from the earlier waves.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Spartan Race - 21% off flase sale [ScoutMac187] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Burpees - check
Rope climb - I’m good at that
Monkey bars - pretty solid there

Pull-ups - shiiiit

Burpees and pull-ups should help the swim, though! I just may sign up for the one in New Jersey that comes near the end of 2021. I have zero illusions of a KQ and IMLP next year and it shouldn’t be a conflict. I may even be able to get my brothers to do it with me.
Last edited by: LifeTri: Dec 31, 20 15:24
Quote Reply