Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Training in SD
Quote | Reply
I will be staying a couple of weeks in san diego, more specifically near rancho santa fe in crosby and was wondering if anyone could help me with recomendations of routes to train or roads to avoid to be able to train as well as what areas to avoid. I have heard that for the swim la joya cove is pretty good and even read somewjere that there are buoys. For the bike i’ve heard that highway 101 towards oceanside and del dios highway towards palomar. As for running I haven’t really found much. What other routes would you recomend? Thanks a lot!
Quote Reply
Re: Training in SD [trirrr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know North County riding and running routes super well since I live a little further south, but I know a lot of folks ride the 101 (long and flat-ish) and Del Dios (not so flat). There is lots of gravel riding in and around Rancho Santa Fe too if you're into that.

As far as running, you can find nice flat running pretty much anywhere along the coast, with the benefit of seeing and smelling the ocean. If you're looking for running closer to where you're staying, maybe others can help with first-hand knowledge; I'm sure there are plenty of trails.

La Jolla Cove is great for swimming, and there are people out there all the time, so the chances of being able to join up with a group are pretty good, especially if you go in the morning or afternoon. There are also multiple parts of the Bay that have buoys for swimming if you prefer calmer (but slightly ickier) water.

And you should definitely get down to Fiesta Island while you're here to do some laps at the birthplace!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In my opinion, you're in the middle of the best riding in the county without venturing out into the rural roads of east/north county. Just make sure to stop at stop signs and stop lights because cops will ticket you on both the coast and in Rancho Santa Fe. $400+

Del dios, harmony grove, the 101, san dieguito, stud loop, 56 bike path are all right next to you. Most roads either have a bike lane or are quiet in that area. If you aren't driving to go ride somewhere, just stay north of Miramar if you're east of the 5. Anything south of there becomes more congested with stoplights and traffic. Via Rancho is the only bike route road in that area that isn't as bike friendly as it should be. It gets busy and the speed limit is pretty high. If you have a gravel bike, bring it since lake hodges is perfect for gravel biking.

I'm not picky about where I run (I would be content with doing laps around my neighborhood), but if I were to drive someplace to run I'd end up either at lake hodges, Lusardi Loop (closest to you), PQ, or one of the beaches. Black Mountain, Torrey Pines, and Mission trails are hilly. It'd be more of a hike/run in one of those places. And of those 3, TP is definitely the best.
Last edited by: bearlyfinish: Dec 30, 20 22:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trirrr wrote:
I will be staying a couple of weeks in san diego, more specifically near rancho santa fe in crosby and was wondering if anyone could help me with recomendations of routes to train or roads to avoid to be able to train as well as what areas to avoid. I have heard that for the swim la joya cove is pretty good and even read somewjere that there are buoys. For the bike i’ve heard that highway 101 towards oceanside and del dios highway towards palomar. As for running I haven’t really found much. What other routes would you recomend? Thanks a lot!

You are legally required to do the rides up and down both Torrey Pines and Mt. Soledad. I'm a big fan of parking in Bird Rock and running up soledad and back down on that side of things both because it's not super long but it has great climbing in it. Also you can finish by Bird Rock Coffee.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ocean water is mid to low 50s fyi,
Quote Reply