Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Benefits of leg strength in cycling?
Quote | Reply
This year was the first year I rode consistently, pretty much all year round with the exception of some school holidays travel and heavy work commitments (perhaps 1 week at a time, 3 times over the year). Just ticked over 16.2k.

I've typically ridden with a small group of (ex)colleagues 2-3 times per week with the rest being extended commutes or trainer sessions etc.

Bar 1 guy who just never seems to miss a beat, I've consistently been one of the strongest in terms of putting down some hurt both on the flats (my favourite) and on 'hills' (we don't have big climbs here). The regular 2x weekly ride is about 40km mildly undulating, some extended flats and a few modest inclines.

On some of these inclines (eg 100-300m @ 4-5%) some of the guys like to put in an effort and be first up. One of the older guys is pretty heavy set (not buff, but not fat) and in particular loves those sections. Occasionally I see if I can't quietly beat him up there by going early. Blow me down he tends to reel me in each time.

I'm athletic but light build. Is this purely a leg strength thing and is there any benefit in getting into the gym (I haven't done this for prob going on a year) for overall riding ability? On flat extended sprints or longer climbs I don't tend to have such issues.
Quote Reply
Re: Benefits of leg strength in cycling? [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So thee are like 30-60 second hills roughly?

Everyone has a power curve, depending on your natural attributes and how you train you will have different relative strengths (shape of your curve). Just saying you are riding "consistently" doesn't tell much about what your curve may look like, so its entirely possible some guy who may not look the part trains a certain way or has natural attributes to beat you in that range of the curve even if overall your are better in other power ranges.

So weight training will help, especially in the shorter length efforts, or just do workouts targeting that range of the power curve (if beating this guy actually matters). At the end of the day, I would focus your training on your racing goals, because with more and better training you can improve your whole curve to some extent, but if you you are training for triathlon (longer time trials) the 30-60 power range isn't that important.

Or this older guy is just smarter and lets you "put on the hurt" when you try to and just saves his energy to return the favor on these inclines. It can be hard to judge people from a group ride, even if it seems like you are riding hard, it doesn't mean everyone else is or they are going their hardest when you are.
Last edited by: tri_yoda: Dec 29, 20 23:53
Quote Reply
Re: Benefits of leg strength in cycling? [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That duration is probably a fair assessment. Started the year off having done very little and actually used a lot of short duration Strava sprint segments as motivation to getting back into it. Then started supplementing this with indoor ergvideo sessions (mainly MAP and endurance intervals) as COVID kicked in, before restrictions were relaxed and moved back outdoors to ride with the guys. I don't really race, so the motivation is really just attacking my buddies (and getting fitter in general). Solo rides became longer solid tempo rides. As such probably haven't spent too much time going absolutely all out.

I dragged the below curves off Strava. Nothing stellar but gives an indication of where things are at (I sit around 73-75kg).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you done Hill repeats on the exact location you are talking 6? The first thing I'd want to do to get stronger on hills is do repeats, in a variety of ways.
-general repeats of 5 to 10 times while maintaining the same speed or power each time. This means do it wisely the 1st few runs so you can finish strong as well.
-consider alternating between quick bursts of shooting up the hill and riding up like I mentioned before in the previous group.

Youll find you will make great progress doing repeats. Also, travel to find an area with a longer climb so you develop the legs for longer climbs. Short steep punchy climbs are different than longer slower grinds.
Quote Reply
Re: Benefits of leg strength in cycling? [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I actually do pretty good (relative to the regular small group - and thinking back relative to a larger shop ride) on longer hills, even when they kick up. There’s really only one guy who is a clear standout (not the solid older guy I spoke of).

The inclines Im referring to are shorter and more subtle. Could also be a case that he is more determined on those. But it left me curious as to the benefits of strength (inc gym) work.

I certainly need some structure in the new year rather than just going out most every day and trying to push it. I’m in a constant state of fatigue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
for a short tl;dr
leg strength is going to help that part of the curve to the (pretty far) left of the 15s marker. Aerobic improvements to the right of it.

As Coggan used to say "It's an Aerobic sport, dammit"

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Last edited by: Morelock: Dec 30, 20 6:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I completely suck in general road cycling. My best ever average power over the ride was 250 Watts. I am not fat and fairly muscular however (6' at 190 pounds) and can develop very high peak power so on a very short sprints / hills I am not that bad and can beat many. I guess it is more or less genetic ability.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mv2005 wrote:
But it left me curious as to the benefits of strength (inc gym) work.

No...

Practicing those efforts is the best way to get better at them. Building excessive muscle (even leg muscle) will likely make you slower on climbs. Back when I raced crits a lot, my leg muscles got really big just from the stress of lots of sprinting. But like Morelock said, this only comes into play for very short efforts. The guy who is beating you likely has a high anaerobic capacity, which is largely genetic.

The "constant state of fatigue" isn't doing you any favors. It'd probably be helpful to eliminate intensity from your life 100% for awhile (<70% of FTP always). Ride a lot (as you have been) but no hard efforts, and no group smack downs. Then gradually introduce some hard efforts; once/week max at first, then up to twice/week... only when you are fresh!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I'm a gym rat and love my leg days. 300+ lbs back squat, 400+ lbs deadlift, and I run ultras. I'm also heavy at 5'5" - 170 lbs

My main riding right now consists of mountain biking in Florida which is the definition of oxymoron. Short punchy hills and soft sand. Between crushing my leg days and interestingly enough my Spin classes that I get as part of my gym package, I am able to crush everybody I have been riding with. Last weekend I road with a guy who is over 3K miles for the year. Big power guy on the road bike. Him and his buddy were tag team trying to punish me and drop me but I actually became bored with their efforts as keeping up was easy.

I'm sure my results are anecdotal but I would never discount improving leg strength. Something like 100 body weight squats for time? 2X BW backsquats for high reps. Strength and endurance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mv2005 wrote:
That duration is probably a fair assessment.
(I sit around 73-75kg).

It’s a pretty easy power calculation. That 500w one minute effort, even if done at a lowish rpm, is roughly half your body weight. Higher rpm will reduce the force requirements even further.

By all means weight train, I do, but the difference between a 135 lb squat 1RM and a 305 lb 1RM is going to have a pretty negligible effect on a 500 watt effort. More effective to train a strong aerobic base and repeated 500 watt intervals.
Last edited by: Karl.n: Dec 30, 20 11:16
Quote Reply
Re: Benefits of leg strength in cycling? [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:

Practicing those efforts is the best way to get better at them.

Agreed. But it's not exclusive. People, of course, can both practice those efforts and do some strength work. "The literature," seems to slant towards a possible benefit to strength work done in addition to a quality on-bike work.

Quote:
Building excessive muscle (even leg muscle) will likely make you slower on climbs. !

For most people it's pretty unlikely that they'll suddenly grow massive muscles from doing strength work. Maybe you did from just sprinting. But that's pretty atypical.
Last edited by: trail: Dec 30, 20 11:09
Quote Reply