Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike for my wife
Quote | Reply
Hi all,

I'm going to buy a smart trainer when I can eventually find one in stock, choices are flux s or suito.

The missus wants to use the trainer and wants to come out with me on some slow rides.

Bearing in mind its a first bike and she would this be a good choice?

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/...p;c=BLUE#zoom=opened
Last edited by: Muzza: Dec 29, 20 12:31
Quote Reply
Re: Bike for my wife [Muzza] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How tall is she?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like a fine first bike. Suitable for fitness riding, the occasional century, a first sprint tri (complete, not compete).

Aluminum frame with a carbon fork, 105 grouppo, mechanical disc brakes. A good baseline setup.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It becomes a real pain to constantly swap cassettes and axel adaptors on a smart trainer. The bike you linked is a quick release with 11 spd so that’s only a good option if you are also working with an 11 spd QR option.

Planet X has a Ride London at the same price point but in thru axle 11 spd if that better matches your set up. The 1x ratios on the Ride London are very beginner friendly and there is less thinking involved in shifting.

Had you posted 12 months ago I would have advised to go rim brake as the money saved on brakes would have impacted everything else. However rim brakes are getting scarcer at the price point you are targeting. I bought my wife a LIV thrive for the purposes you are talking about but LIV seems to have gone all disc and increased prices accordingly alongside the other major brands. I wouldn’t immediately discount a flat bar hybrid though as they do have their merits.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike for my wife [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
How tall is she?

5ft 5in/ 165cm

She has a 31 inch inside leg so a dumpy torso :-)
Last edited by: Muzza: Dec 30, 20 0:01
Quote Reply
Re: Bike for my wife [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scott8888 wrote:
It becomes a real pain to constantly swap cassettes and axel adaptors on a smart trainer. The bike you linked is a quick release with 11 spd so that’s only a good option if you are also working with an 11 spd QR option.

Planet X has a Ride London at the same price point but in thru axle 11 spd if that better matches your set up. The 1x ratios on the Ride London are very beginner friendly and there is less thinking involved in shifting.

Had you posted 12 months ago I would have advised to go rim brake as the money saved on brakes would have impacted everything else. However rim brakes are getting scarcer at the price point you are targeting. I bought my wife a LIV thrive for the purposes you are talking about but LIV seems to have gone all disc and increased prices accordingly alongside the other major brands. I wouldn’t immediately discount a flat bar hybrid though as they do have their merits.

My bike is a 2014 Planet X RT57 with Ultegra setup with quick release. It currently has an 11-28T 11speed cassette. I believe it has a short cage derailleur which i hope isn't going to be an issue.

TBH its a bit of a pain that she wants to use the turbo trainer. I was looking at hybrid bikes and also cheaper road bikes but they all seem 8 speed, which i understand means I would have to change the cassette on the trainer every time.

Although I'm loathed to would it make more sense to go with a wheel on trainer? Would we be able to both just jump on and off?

Is it going to be an issue if I have rim brakes and she has disc brakes?

The other issue I could go to all this expense and never use it, but she is adamant she will.

Sorry another question, if I have Shimano and she has SRAM is that another issue?

Thanks for all your replys.
Last edited by: Muzza: Dec 30, 20 1:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The fact that your wife wants to bike with you is awesome. My suggestion would be an eBike. That way, you don't have to go on "slow" rides together, instead you can go on whatever paced rides you want to go on. Plus, you can go further. She can be your trainer and the two of you can go even further together.

Regarding the indoor trainer, why not just get a wheel on trainer and then you don't have to deal with any of that swapping, just bike to bike. Also, if you don't like the wheel on trainer, then you can get a different one later and she can have her own dedicated one.

I understand this is all very $$$, but can you really put a price on not getting into countless arguments with your better half while trying to enjoy a ride?
Quote Reply