Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Fast Track Triathlete workouts.
Quote | Reply
I'm just wondering if anyone has already transcribed the book's plans to a structured format for zwift, TP, garmin connect or any other.

Thanks and happy new year!
Quote Reply
Re: Fast Track Triathlete workouts. [Jonny89] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the workouts in this book should be used directly. As far as I understand what the author is trying to say about training process for busy amateurs. I could be wrong.

The training has to be specifically designed to match your life and your strengths/weaknesses. The book gives good ideas on how this to be done.

The example workouts are just an example. They're specifically designed to match a specific Joe/Jane with a specific set of weaknesses. You might not have the same set.
Personally for me I think it's a bit too much emphasis on mid-range running (my strength) than I'd prefer for IM-build and not enough bike volume (my weakness).

So I definitely follow the ideas of the book, but create my own workouts.
Last edited by: ask77nl: Dec 28, 20 11:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Jonny!

I've been using Matt's 70.3 plans from the Fast Track Triathlete book now for a season and a half - really enjoying them, especially how he gives the purpose of each session and also some options depending on time and fatigue level. Planning to use the 140.6 plan for my first full-distance race in Chatty next year as my B race, and modify it for 70.3 WC in St George as my A race. (yes they're insanely close - I'm going to enjoy the process!)

I'm reading your question as to whether anyone has "uploaded" or entered the plan into a structured format like TrainingPeaks/etc/etc - and so far I haven't seen anyone that has, at least not for no-cost. From what I understand, if you join Purple Patch (Dixon's camp/team) you also get a free account to Today's Plan - and the workouts are customized for you to some degree and you get the digital structure through there on your device, enter the post-workout log into the app, etc.

Here's a post to how I've used the plans on a daily basis https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=7404518#p7404518. Essentially, I cut the pages from the book, scanned them to PDF, loaded it to my phone, and use the "Books" app on my iPhone to memorize the session and then I execute it from memory (except the swims which sometimes take an extra look or two during the session as they tend to bigger or more complex). I use Training Peaks to analyze my session afterwards, and don't sweat whether or not I hit everything to the exact second, instead focusing on the quality of my work.

Hit me up on a PM if you think the PDF would be of interest - can give you a better feel of what it looks like.

Hope this helps!

Travis
Last edited by: mrfreeze: Dec 28, 20 17:20
Quote Reply
Re: Fast Track Triathlete workouts. [ask77nl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I see your point. The main 14 week programs for IM and HIM are highly adjustable indeed, now I'm going to start again the prep and base phases, and those workouts suggested for those weeks are much more rigid.

I understand the mentality behind the book, I just find it better to follow a structured bike workout on zwift for example... Maybe I'll try to transcribe them if I have time.
Quote Reply
Re: Fast Track Triathlete workouts. [mrfreeze] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Travis,

Thank you very much for the time you took to write this post. I'm doing something similar, I just have the book next to the trainer and memorize the workout before jumping in =P.

I'll send you a PM because I'm really interested in the PDF, specially for the strength part.

Happy new year for you!

João
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Guys.... buy the Ebook..... you are wasting your time

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Re: Fast Track Triathlete workouts. [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sbernardi wrote:

I'm not sure if the driver is that I've been doing IT work most of my life and am on screens more than not - but sometimes I really feel like going "digital" is actually more of the time-waster than going paper!

There's nothing quite like thumbing through a book that I dog-eared or put small Post-It reference tabs on - I've learned that it's a key part of my learning process. Attached pic as case in point, and though I'll sound even crazier for saying it sometimes I'll buy the paper book AND the audible version :)
Last edited by: mrfreeze: Dec 29, 20 18:20
Quote Reply
Re: Fast Track Triathlete workouts. [mrfreeze] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mrfreeze wrote:
Sbernardi wrote:

I'm not sure if the driver is that I've been doing IT work most of my life and am on screens more than not - but sometimes I really feel like going "digital" is actually more of the time-waster than going paper!

There's nothing quite like thumbing through a book that I dog-eared or put small Post-It reference tabs on - I've learned that it's a key part of my learning process. Attached pic as case in point, and though I'll sound even crazier for saying it sometimes I'll buy the paper book AND the audible version :)

I prefer the kindle / ebook versions now for sure.

Main reason is that I can take selected screenshots of stuff like the upcoming week's workout diagram and paste it into my weekly google doc or whatever else. Makes it a lot more useful for me.
Quote Reply