Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Upgrade wetsuit or watch? £100 gift card.
Quote | Reply
I have been gifted a £100 voucher for wiggle.co.uk
I have no other disposable cash at the moment.
Should I:
Replace my garmin foreunner 10 (6 years old) with a new Garmin forerunner 45.

Or

Replace my decathlon short distance wetsuit (1 year old) with a dhb aeron wetsuit.

Goal is to move from half to full IM by summer.
Quote Reply
Re: Upgrade wetsuit or watch? £100 gift card. [Earthwormjim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd go for the watch.

The GPS will be higher quality, it supports speed/cadence sensors for the bike (but not power), and (most importantly) it will BT sync to your phone so your workouts upload to Connect/Strava/etc. automatically.

It's also something you will use every day.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok. As nobody else has replied...

We don't know your strengths / weaknesses and background etc. So don't know where you'll get best benefits.
So - can you tell us more ?

And also describe the 2 wetsuits. Is the decathlon one 'smooth skin's or a fabric faced type ? The best wetsuit is the one that fits best. A fabric faced one will be slowing you tho over a smooth skin one.

However I bet a lot here would say the best way to spend £100 in Wiggle Vouchers would be on a pair of Conti gp5000 tyres and latex tubes, for best bang for buck. Just be careful fitting them.
(Other than a bike fit or swim video analysis - but obvs you can't get those with a Wiggle voucher unless one of your mates gives you the £100 for the voucher. Also unfortunately you only get a pretty basic fit for £100 !).

Fancy watches are nice. I have a middle-ground one and like it. But Chrissie Wellington only used a basic watch and she won the world champs 4 times.
Quote Reply
Re: Upgrade wetsuit or watch? £100 gift card. [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Bob

Running is by far my strongest discipline, I have been doing it competitively since I was 8 but moved to triathlon last year for a new challenge. Swimming form is definitely a weakness but my club get a swim analysis as a group session every now and then and the coaches are really helpful. I've already invested loads into my bike and am running conti-gps.

My wetsuit is smooth on the core, shoulders, tops of the arms and fronts if the legs. side and backs of legs are fabric. Shoulder movement is tight above the head, some of the seams are straight through and let cold water through.
Quote Reply
Re: Upgrade wetsuit or watch? £100 gift card. [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
I'd go for the watch.

The GPS will be higher quality, it supports speed/cadence sensors for the bike (but not power), and (most importantly) it will BT sync to your phone so your workouts upload to Connect/Strava/etc. automatically.

It's also something you will use every day.

Apologies for saying nobody had replied - your reply wasn't showing on my phone screen when I started to type - but clearly you had replied before me.
Quote Reply
Re: Upgrade wetsuit or watch? £100 gift card. [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No worries. Happens from time to time.

To the OP: FWIW, I had the FR10 back in the day (sold it on ST Classifieds when I upgraded). At least for me the wireless sync is huge. It won't make you faster, but (at least for me) having my workouts instantly post to Strava without having to do anything gives me more motivation to train, engage in Strava challenges, etc. With the FR10, I just used the data in-workout and that's it.

Agree on the GP5000s with latex tubes. They really make the bike feel faster and more lively.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Firstly, the other person who replied (Titanflexr) I'm sure has a lot more experience/ knowledge and wise words than me, based on many many other posts of theirs.
And their advice was ... take the watch !

(I'd always be wary of getting another wetsuit without being able to try and really get to swim in it 1st. You could be out of the frying pan and into the fire if the alternative suit's fit isn't right. And it's so hard at present to get to try stuff etc in Covid times I've found (i got a new wetsuit earlier this year but luckily could get the same model and size again, so had noproblems. But the cut / sizing acrsoss different brands hmcan be really different (eg for me the Zone 3 suits just don't fit - the proportions of chest to legs to body length just don't work for me - irrespective of price But for others they are great).

For water ingress through seams - I'd not be worried unless its gushing loads amd loads in. I have 3 swim wetsuits I've accumulated over the years - and bar the 2020 new one, the other 2 let water in either under the arms or legs or the whole side panel as they are just worn through from lots of use. But they don't gush water in through the neck or wrists, so no problem. (I do get a little colder in winter using them, but nothing too bad). I swim with a couple of guys where I'm sure their suits are made of more holes than neoprene !
Quote Reply