Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New Year Big Goals! Recovery Thread
Quote | Reply
Hey ST,

I only started triathloning two years ago, with a fitness level of a strong 0.0 before that. With something of a base now, and some understanding of what I'm getting into, I've set some quixotic-but-feasible-for-me goals for the year. I have a coach and she supports them, with a warning that I'll have to work hard.

As we approach the new year, I'm examining my recovery routines to minimize soreness and fatigue. Especially fatigue--I tend to be pretty cautious about training fatigued, but I'll need to manage things differently if I'm gonna make it through everything. So, friends, lend me your advice: what are some hot tips for avoiding fatigue or getting after it safely while fatigued?

Also, I'm thinking mainly about bike and run training, as I'm a former swimmer and I don't need to significantly grow my swim fitness right now (but feel free to chat about it in the thread).

Here are some of my current recovery-related routines:

1. I hydrate well.
2. I stretch. I should do it more. Tell me to stretch more.
3. I gave in to Normatec's recent sale and got some boots.
4. I sleep enough the vast majority of the time.
5. I'm working on finding the budget for a monthly massage this season, possibly more than that at the height of things.
6. I take ice baths after long runs, unless I'm really cold from running outside in upstate NY, and hot baths with epsom salts at least once a week.

Here are some current workout-while-fatigued routines:

1. I increase the amount of warmup time, especially dynamic stretching.
2. I try to just get started to see if the fatigue will go away eventually.
3. Aaaaaand, honestly, if my legs feel heavy I get scared of injury and stop. Especially when running. (no running injuries yet, but I credit that to caution with run training)

Formerly GiantNewb, but not such a newb anymore.
Quote Reply
Re: New Year Big Goals! Recovery Thread [BingTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You didn't mention nutrition, and that plays a huge part in recovery.

I find that when I track what I eat, I recover better because I can make smarter, more informed decisions about what kinds and how much food I'm giving my body.

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: New Year Big Goals! Recovery Thread [gmh39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cool, thanks. Do you mean generally making sure you're eating clean and hitting goals for protein, carbs, and nutrients, or are there any recovery-specific tips? (I usually have a recovery snack with recommended amounts of protein and carbs, like a smoothie or Hammer Recoverite)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You’ve got me beat... I don’t stretch, don’t do ice baths, don’t have boots, and have never had a massage. But in the 40+ years of endurance sports, nutrition after workouts, and sleep, are my most important recovery tools. Interesting you mention swimming, as that’s my go-to activity, when I’m feeling over cooked from running and cycling. Sometimes I’ll use a buoy, and get a good upper body workout, and let my legs just bask in the weightlessness, and recover.

Athlinks / Strava
Last edited by: Dean T: Dec 26, 20 8:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Subject: “New Year Big Goals”

Content: No goals

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BingTri wrote:
Hey ST,

I only started triathloning two years ago, with a fitness level of a strong 0.0 before that. With something of a base now, and some understanding of what I'm getting into, I've set some quixotic-but-feasible-for-me goals for the year. I have a coach and she supports them, with a warning that I'll have to work hard.

As we approach the new year, I'm examining my recovery routines to minimize soreness and fatigue. Especially fatigue--I tend to be pretty cautious about training fatigued, but I'll need to manage things differently if I'm gonna make it through everything. So, friends, lend me your advice: what are some hot tips for avoiding fatigue or getting after it safely while fatigued?

Also, I'm thinking mainly about bike and run training, as I'm a former swimmer and I don't need to significantly grow my swim fitness right now (but feel free to chat about it in the thread).

Here are some of my current recovery-related routines:

1. I hydrate well.
2. I stretch. I should do it more. Tell me to stretch more.
3. I gave in to Normatec's recent sale and got some boots.
4. I sleep enough the vast majority of the time.
5. I'm working on finding the budget for a monthly massage this season, possibly more than that at the height of things.
6. I take ice baths after long runs, unless I'm really cold from running outside in upstate NY, and hot baths with epsom salts at least once a week.

Here are some current workout-while-fatigued routines:

1. I increase the amount of warmup time, especially dynamic stretching.
2. I try to just get started to see if the fatigue will go away eventually.
3. Aaaaaand, honestly, if my legs feel heavy I get scared of injury and stop. Especially when running. (no running injuries yet, but I credit that to caution with run training)

I like 4 week blocks

3 weeks of each week increasing intensity and/or next 1 week back off 50% from previous week

Next 4 week block start at same as previous week 2 levels

Repeat with 2 1 week sessions completely off.
Quote Reply
Re: New Year Big Goals! Recovery Thread [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
plant_based wrote:
Subject: “New Year Big Goals”

Content: No goals

Maybe that is his goal to have goals?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't be so cautious. You are a former swimmer. Like swimming you are never too sore to bike. You can always bike. Like you can always swim. So do both as much as possible. Running do as much easy running as you can keep doing more. If you are sore replace run with a bike run or swim run where you do 45 min of the other sport and warm up then 15 min jogging. Do lots of those 15 min jogs all over your year as they all add up to allow you to deal with more running but you are not detraining cardio due to sitting around doing nothing.

All your recovery stuff is overrated other than sleep more and eat well. There is limited magic to recovery. It is just a function of how efficient your organs are to rebuild your body. All the other stuff is fine tuning. Your organs just gotta work to clear all the damage and rebuild. They need good food and more sleep. No magic there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stop doing ice baths. They promote short term recovery, but inhibit long term adaptation.

Prioritize nutrition before, during, and after workouts. One of the biggest causes of long-term fatigue for me is when I don't fuel longer workouts. I can get through the ride, but then end up wrecked for the rest of the day
Quote Reply
Re: New Year Big Goals! Recovery Thread [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha, sorry. Think I'm a bit scared to speak its name. It's a full in September.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve been meaning to post about this.... and this seems like as good a place as any to share a recent experience.

I have never really ever stretched in my adult life. I’ve always felt like I should but I never did.

In September of this year I committed to doing a full body stretch for 10 minutes every single day, usually right before bed. At first it sucked but I kept it up every single day. I’m at over 100 consecutive days now.

A strange thing has happened. For the last several years I have felt like an 80 year old every morning when I would get out of bed. Ankles. Knees. Hips. Back. Everything hurt, every morning. It would get better as the day went on but it took awhile. The last 30 days or so I can tell you that I feel amazing when I get out of bed. All those aches and pains are pretty much gone. I’m running faster and feeling better than I have in years.

I’m a now a stretching true believer.

So, I’m telling you to stretch.

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think timing your post exercise hydration and nutrition is kind of overlooked. You only have so many hours between the end of your workout and the next day’s activities, so make the most of your down time.

After.a workout, I walk in the door, make a recovery drink and chug down at least 32 oz of water in the first 5 minutes. Stay on top of the hydration until you are sure you are adequately hydrated.
Quote Reply
Re: New Year Big Goals! Recovery Thread [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To the great advice already provided in this thread I'll add:
1/ Take at least one full day off training every week. Make it as low an activity day as possible - no house/yard work, no big hikes or outings, etc. A day on the couch is highly useful in supporting recovery.
2/ If your work & family sched allows, take naps daily, esp if you're doing double workouts. Even 15-20 minutes is very valuable, providing more pop for that second workout and reducing fatigue.
Quote Reply
Re: New Year Big Goals! Recovery Thread [wannabefaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wannabefaster wrote:
I’ve been meaning to post about this.... and this seems like as good a place as any to share a recent experience.

I have never really ever stretched in my adult life. I’ve always felt like I should but I never did.

In September of this year I committed to doing a full body stretch for 10 minutes every single day, usually right before bed. At first it sucked but I kept it up every single day. I’m at over 100 consecutive days now.

A strange thing has happened. For the last several years I have felt like an 80 year old every morning when I would get out of bed. Ankles. Knees. Hips. Back. Everything hurt, every morning. It would get better as the day went on but it took awhile. The last 30 days or so I can tell you that I feel amazing when I get out of bed. All those aches and pains are pretty much gone. I’m running faster and feeling better than I have in years.

Really?

What do you find so good about stretching

I never stretched for approx 10 years
I stretched religiously for 4 plus years

I’m back to almost zero stretching for the past 5 and see very little of any difference

Hasn’t it been shown that tighter Achilles actually is conducive to faster run times?
Quote Reply
Re: New Year Big Goals! Recovery Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Don't be so cautious. You are a former swimmer. Like swimming you are never too sore to bike. You can always bike. Like you can always swim. So do both as much as possible. Running do as much easy running as you can keep doing more. If you are sore replace run with a bike run or swim run where you do 45 min of the other sport and warm up then 15 min jogging. Do lots of those 15 min jogs all over your year as they all add up to allow you to deal with more running but you are not detraining cardio due to sitting around doing nothing.

All your recovery stuff is overrated other than sleep more and eat well. There is limited magic to recovery. It is just a function of how efficient your organs are to rebuild your body. All the other stuff is fine tuning. Your organs just gotta work to clear all the damage and rebuild. They need good food and more sleep. No magic there.

BINGO!!
Quote Reply
Re: New Year Big Goals! Recovery Thread [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I learned two major things this year that have truly been dramatic in my performance, recovery and well being,

1. Sugars are very important. Getting sugars in during and immediately after has been a game changer in how well i feel and recover. Getting over my fear of sugars and letting them flow, especially on hard days, was massive

2. Significantly reducing fat intake. Fat is important, but realistically the body doesn't need much of it. We tend to eat a lot more fat than we think, especially in pre-prepared foods. Dietary fat thickens blood and can reduce performance by making the heart work harder. I lost body fat, felt stronger and more energetic during workouts and made better gains. I simply feel better overall

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: New Year Big Goals! Recovery Thread [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:
wannabefaster wrote:

Really?

What do you find so good about stretching

I never stretched for approx 10 years
I stretched religiously for 4 plus years

I’m back to almost zero stretching for the past 5 and see very little of any difference

Hasn’t it been shown that tighter Achilles actually is conducive to faster run times?

I have some experience here too. I stretched religiously from my early 20's to the age of 55. I had a 30 minute routine, I did every night, 7 days a week. At approx 52, I added rolling to this routine, as it was the fad of the time. And yes, all this made me feel good and loose. I thought it was making me run better. Then one day, at the age of 55, I got to the point I just didn't feel like stretching/rolling anymore (kind of a Forest Gump moment). I didn't do my routine, and the world didn't end. I didn't feel any different, and my workouts actually started feeling better. About 2 months later I CRUSHED my 5K masters PR, by nearly a minute. The rest of that year, I went on to set my masters PR's at 1 mile, 2 miles, 5K, 10K, half marathon, Marathon, and 50K (and won the event). Nearly 25 years earlier, I had had a sports Chiropractor tell me that stretching pulled muscles apart, and caused micro-tears, just like working out, and needed recovery time. And a lot of why many folks feel "flat" on race day, is because they are tapering, and using the extra time to stretch more... basically traumatizing muscles, that are trying to rebuild, and top off for the race. I didn't listen then, and it took me 25 years to learn he was right. I'm 60 now, and haven't stretched in 5 years, and I feel fantastic, and recover fine.

Athlinks / Strava
Quote Reply
Re: New Year Big Goals! Recovery Thread [Dean T] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great post Dean, I agree.

Stretching is a necessity if it's a weakness. If your frame is tight and you are dealing with minor aches and pains consistently, it is worth it to introduce a stretching/yoga routine. It is important to keep things open and loose, and to work to open joints and break up scar tissue. Especially through the spine, where more serious problems can arise, especially later in life. Once you start to open up and develop that pliability, then it becomes more about maintenance than progression. Ultimately, tight muscles produce more power through elasticity, but there must be a balance between power and pliability.

To emphasize Dean's point, stretching should be treated as a workout with recovery if you plan to pursue a program. As you get better at it and the body more used to the stress of it, you'll require less as with any other program. Developing a flexible base is important, and ultimately it will teach you about the problem areas in your body. This does a great deal going forward in preventing injury and recovery

Strava
Quote Reply