Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Does the ramp test estimate the same thing as the Sufferfest 4DP's maximal aerobic power?
Quote | Reply
By way of background, about a month ago, I did a 4DP session on Sufferfest. For those of you who don't know, it directly tests your power for/at neuromuscular efforts (5s sprint), anaerobic capacity (1 min), maximal aerobic power (5 minutes), and functional threshold (based on 20 min effort) in one session. The sequencing is warm up, two sprints, 5 min test, 20 min test, then 1 min test. Based on uploading a dual-recorded file from my Quarq to Strava, I believe the MAP estimate is 100% of power during 5 minute test, and the FTP estimate is 100% of power during the 20 minute test (which, remember, comes after two sprints and a 5 min all out effort, hence they don't use the traditional 95% multiplier).

Sufferfest thinks that VO2 max is my weak spot. In data on an early 2020 blog post, they seem to show (second graph) that the median male (or at least, the median male in their data) has MAP about 125% of FTP. About 6 weeks ago, I had an FTP of 212W and an MAP of 264W, and my Sufferfest MAP is about 124.5% of my FTP, so I'm around their median. Put another way, my FTP is about 80% of my SUF MAP, whatever that is. I believe Trainer Road has said that MAP can be estimated by a 5-min all out effort, so I assume that the SUF estimate is in the ballpark - or is it?

By contrast, my understanding of the ramp test is that it directly measures your MAP or something like it, and you estimate your FTP from there. The standard multiplier is based on 0.75 of the power during your highest complete 1-min interval, plus a pro-ration of any uncompleted portion of the next interval. That implies that the average athlete has an FTP of 75% of their MAP, with some variation around that average. I think I've heard it can range from 72% to 78%. Or, again, is the ramp test measuring something other than your MAP, or are they measuring different definitions of MAP?

I ask because I just did a ramp test on Zwift, mainly to see what it was like. I figured I could see if the FTP estimate was plausible, and then manually adjust it using the Sufferfest multiplier (0.80) if it wasn't. And there are two problems. One is that I was given an estimated FTP of 245W, which implies an MAP of 326W and a 20 min FTP test target power of 258W. I don't think I can hold 258W for 20 minutes, or 245W for a long period. Looking at my Zwiftpower record, of my completed races, I held something like 240W for 20 minutes about a month ago. The second issue is that if I use Sufferfest's estimate of my FTP as a % of their MAP estimate, I would actually be adjusting my estimated FTP higher. So, is something off with my math or Sufferfest's logic? Or, again, are the 'MAP' estimates from SUF estimating a different quantity than the MAP measured by a ramp test?

Sufferfest did classify me as an attacker, meaning that I have a relatively strong anerobic system without being a pure sprinter. Logically, this should lead to something like a ramp test overestimating my FTP, so I'll just manually adjust my FTP downward. Next time, I'll focus on the traditional 20 minute test.
Quote Reply
Re: Does the ramp test estimate the same thing as the Sufferfest 4DP's maximal aerobic power? [weiwentg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just stick with whatever FTP each program creates for their program. None of these things are exact and the results will vary each day and time you take them. You take one in the training program you are using when they suggest you use it. People way over think these things. The numbers are just intended to be a point to set power within their own training programs and have the workout power based upon how they build their plans.

I think I understand what you are going after, but you are just running into different design philosophies here. None are right. None are wrong. Just use the training program you want to use and stick with their numbers.
Quote Reply
Re: Does the ramp test estimate the same thing as the Sufferfest 4DP's maximal aerobic power? [iamuwere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iamuwere wrote:
Just stick with whatever FTP each program creates for their program. None of these things are exact and the results will vary each day and time you take them. You take one in the training program you are using when they suggest you use it. People way over think these things. The numbers are just intended to be a point to set power within their own training programs and have the workout power based upon how they build their plans.

I think I understand what you are going after, but you are just running into different design philosophies here. None are right. None are wrong. Just use the training program you want to use and stick with their numbers.

YES!

Also, remember that FTP is best possible avg for an hour. Next time your legs are fairly fresh, do the 'Ven-Top' route in France on Zwift, take 5-10 watts off those estimated numbers and try an hold that for an hour.

Wade Cruser | AP Racing
Quote Reply
Re: Does the ramp test estimate the same thing as the Sufferfest 4DP's maximal aerobic power? [WadeCruser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WadeCruser wrote:

YES!

Also, remember that FTP is best possible avg for an hour

Except that no where is FTP defined as an hour. It is quoted often as such, but Dr Coggan clearly states it is not an hour. Could be a good bit shorter and a good bit longer. Again, FTP is an approximation of an approximation. These training programs need something to hang a hat on and they use this as a benchmark to define workouts. They look at data and try to decide whether these levels are doing what they are supposed to do and adjust their workouts and FTP protocols to garner as much success as possible.
Quote Reply
Re: Does the ramp test estimate the same thing as the Sufferfest 4DP's maximal aerobic power? [weiwentg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x2 on iamuwere.

Don't overthink it. Just pick a methodology, and stick with it. There are always going to be variations.
Quote Reply
Re: Does the ramp test estimate the same thing as the Sufferfest 4DP's maximal aerobic power? [iamuwere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iamuwere wrote:

I don’t mean to be grouchy. This is a perfectly sensible response. However, and i should have stipulated this beforehand, I am actually interested in a response to the question as asked. I am not interested in “don’t overthink it.” If I get no responses that I consider useful, I will just self adjust.
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fair enough.

I’m a fan of Seiler, so my perspective of setting zones comes from best 60:00, 6:00, and :60 efforts.

I suppose in a world of theory it comes down to an individual’s preference. More than one way to skin a cat.

Wade Cruser | AP Racing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Okay, then to get specific, this is where you are going wrong: "One is that I was given an estimated FTP of 245W, which implies an MAP of 326W and a 20 min FTP test target power of 258W. I don't think I can hold 258W for 20 minutes, or 245W for a long period."

You are trying to extrapolate that ramp FTP is MAP and then place those into Sufferfest numbers. Each of these programs probably is calculating ramp numbers differently, using different formulas to calculate FTP/MAP/etc. Unless you know the formulas and timings of each of these programs, you can't make these leaps. I certainly have never seen or found the calculations each program is using to compare. Even one picking 76 vs 77% would totally change these numbers, for example. Top 20 vs 22 seconds of your ramp and so on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
weiwentg wrote:

I don’t mean to be grouchy. This is a perfectly sensible response. However, and i should have stipulated this beforehand, I am actually interested in a response to the question as asked. I am not interested in “don’t overthink it.” If I get no responses that I consider useful, I will just self adjust.

There are a bunch of questions, but the answer to the subject line and most of the questions is, that, yes, both the ramp tests and the MAP test in 4DP are ways to estimate MAP.

But can you describe why you'd want to "self-adjust?" For what purpose? Is it, for example, you think that, say Sufferfest's estimate is too high, and you're struggling to complete workouts in Sufferfest or Zwift using that estimate? Or are you trying to determine what power to use on a TT race?

If it's the latter, then, as Coggan frequently repeated on here, use the race as the test. If you held 240W for 20 minutes, then he's a great place to start on your next TT race (I hope you're referring to Zwift TTs because power from mass start races won't be reliable indicators unless you were racing solo off the front or back or the group you were in just magically happened to be right at your 20-minute power).

If it's the former, then, sure, self-adjust. But per imuwere, I wouldn't try to cross-adjust across platforms. If primarily Zwift, do the Zwift ramp test, and figure out some reasonable scale. If Sufferfest, do the Sufferfest methodology, and scale a bit as needed. Sufferfest is nice in that you can scale any of the 4DP values at the start of every workout.
Last edited by: trail: Dec 25, 20 8:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're trying to use SF to figure out Zwift's FTP equivalent, you could always use the Sufferfest's ramp test (half monty) and see where that leads. Though SF uses the ramp and a HR test sequence to estimate FTP on that one so still not a 1:1 comparison.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
weiwentg wrote:
. Or, again, is the ramp test measuring something other than your MAP, or are they measuring different definitions of MAP?

So there's a short answer and a long one. The short answer is they have the same idea of MAP but they have different ways to estimate it. The long answer is long.

In statistical decision theory, we distinguish between a thing, the estimate of the thing, and the estimator that produces the estimate. The estimate is a number that describes the thing, the estimator is an algorithm or procedure or method that produces the estimate. You may be familiar with the least squares estimator, or the maximum likelihood estimator, or a minimum variance estimator, or a robust nonparametric estimator, or a minimum distance estimator.

The protocols you're seeing are estimators. Different estimators have different characteristics and different strengths and weaknesses. In this case, they're all trying to estimate something that can be used to anchor a training plan.

One other complication: VO2Max is supposed to be the maximum amount of oxygen (usually normalized by body mass and time) that your muscles can process during exercise. The estimators you're discussing don't measure oxygen; they're one level farther removed from that; they're trying to estimate the power that you produce at VO2Max. So that's MAP. From there, they derive another protocol (like, multiply that by 0.8 or 0.75) to get the anchor for the training plan.

There are many links in this chain. The chain has, at its end, an anchor. That training plans all sorta work, more or less similarly, means that the anchor isn't all that critical. In fact, I occasionally ask coaches how precisely one must measure FTP, and how closely one should adhere to their training levels or zones; if they answer (as some have) at a particular level of precision then I discount most of what they say after that.
Quote Reply
Re: Does the ramp test estimate the same thing as the Sufferfest 4DP's maximal aerobic power? [RChung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RChung wrote:
weiwentg wrote:
. Or, again, is the ramp test measuring something other than your MAP, or are they measuring different definitions of MAP?

So there's a short answer and a long one. The short answer is they have the same idea of MAP but they have different ways to estimate it. The long answer is long.

In statistical decision theory, we distinguish between a thing, the estimate of the thing, and the estimator that produces the estimate. The estimate is a number that describes the thing, the estimator is an algorithm or procedure or method that produces the estimate. You may be familiar with the least squares estimator, or the maximum likelihood estimator, or a minimum variance estimator, or a robust nonparametric estimator, or a minimum distance estimator.

The protocols you're seeing are estimators. Different estimators have different characteristics and different strengths and weaknesses. In this case, they're all trying to estimate something that can be used to anchor a training plan.

One other complication: VO2Max is supposed to be the maximum amount of oxygen (usually normalized by body mass and time) that your muscles can process during exercise. The estimators you're discussing don't measure oxygen; they're one level farther removed from that; they're trying to estimate the power that you produce at VO2Max. So that's MAP. From there, they derive another protocol (like, multiply that by 0.8 or 0.75) to get the anchor for the training plan.

There are many links in this chain. The chain has, at its end, an anchor. That training plans all sorta work, more or less similarly, means that the anchor isn't all that critical. In fact, I occasionally ask coaches how precisely one must measure FTP, and how closely one should adhere to their training levels or zones; if they answer (as some have) at a particular level of precision then I discount most of what they say after that.

Your second paragraph is pretty close to what was going through my head when I typed the question out.* As I said earlier, I believe the SUF estimate of MAP is based on a 5 minute effort (after a warmup, two sprints to test neuromuscular power, then a recovery from those sprints, plus you get a vid of a short mountain TT while your eyeballs are popping out of their sockets). In retrospect, I definitely can't hold the max power from my ramp test for anything near to 5 minutes even if I started fresh and warmed up. So, that's consistent with the SUF 4DP test and the ramp test being different and not comparable estimators of the same physiological concept.

In response to trail and others, I am switching from SUF over to Zwift. I prefer the latter environment in terms of engagement. However, as I said, if I take the Zwift ramp test's estimate of my FTP, I expect I would struggle almightily in any intervals around my sweet spot or FTP. That's why I was hoping to adjust my FTP mathematically based on the SUF data. For the person who asked about my race result, that 240W for 20 minutes was actually from a B crit. A crit in which I got dropped from the leaders, where I was trying to chase back on, and where my variability index was pretty much 1. So, a time trial-like effort nonetheless. If the ramp test estimate of my FTP is accurate, then I'm actually a low A, which is potentially inconsistent with me struggling to finish with the lead B riders in most of the races I show up to.

And yes, while it's not going to make or break my day, I would like to know roughly how to pace a shorter effort. It appears that a bunch of people on Trainerroad said that there's no way they can hold their ramp test-estimated MAP for 5 minutes. And I think I maxed out at 320W, and there is no way I can hold that for 5 minutes, either.

* I was thinking more along the lines of how many questionnaires estimate, for example, your level of depression or some other subjective construct, but they all do so differently. The Patient Health Questionnaire just goes through the DSM symptoms, which include somatic ones. The Geriatric Depression Scale focuses only on affect and cognitive symptoms. Basically, different estimators of the same construct. I am familiar with a few of the statistical estimators that RChung mentioned, but I mainly use maximum likelihood or least squares - quite frankly, this means that I type the appropriate command and I know that the computer is maximizing the likelihood or is applying least squares.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To go back to statistical decision theory, a thing we might be interested in is the "middle" or the "center" of a distribution, and there are several estimators of that we use: a mean, a median, a mode, a winsorized mean, a biweight mean, etc. A problem is that the "thing" in this case (the "middle" or the "center") isn't well-defined. So people have reified estimators like the mean, or the median, etc. as if they were the actual thing we were interested in. Then you can get into arguments where they say the middle isn't the middle, the mean (or median or mode) is the middle. That's mistaking the estimator's estimate for the thing.

In this case, the "thing" is "how much power can you put out aerobically?" Like the mean or mode above, people have reified the estimator (like, a 5 minute test, or the top step of a ramp, or 125% of a 20 minute test, etc.) as if it were the thing -- and then they apply a coefficient to that to get FTP which is what they're using to set their training levels, or to determine what racing cat you should be in Zwift.

If you think Zwift v. TR v. SUF is contentious, stay away from the blood-letting that occurs during debates on Likert v. Rasch scaling.
Quote Reply