Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Am I ruining my beam bike with a top tube wall mount?
Quote | Reply
Trying to organize the workout room a bit, and have already mounted my road bikes with the park tool universal mount. The bike basically hangs from its top tube, which rests on the two arms of the mount. https://images.app.goo.gl/JeimRqZ7RXS8Aeov6

Having assembled and disassembled my Dimond Marquise many many times (twice for each race), it seems like the beam is totally designed to brace against loads coming from top to bottom. However, if the force were applied from underneath the beam, it seems like all of the bike's weight would be hanging on the small bolt at the bottom of the storage compartment.

So would it be a bad idea to mount up the Dimond on this type of bike wall mount? Wondering if anyone has already done so without any issues. And if not, what mounting solution Dimond/beam bike owners are using.
Quote Reply
Re: Am I ruining my beam bike with a top tube wall mount? [vonagut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn’t have any concerns about mounting a beam bike that way. The top tube is already designed to carry the weight of a rider, so I don’t see an issue with holding just the weight of the bike from two points underneath the tube.

Plus, carbon fiber is crazy strong. I’ve had to cut down several carbon fiber seat tubes, which have very thin walls, and it’s literally like cutting steel or aluminum.
Quote Reply
Re: Am I ruining my beam bike with a top tube wall mount? [vonagut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I mount my first Dimond that doesn’t even have the bolt this way. Never thought twice about it, should be fine. Ask Eric or TJ if you’re worried, they’ll respond to an email.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's supporting ~18 lbs static load. It's fine.

When you are on the bike it's supporting .... 180 lbs (bike included) and that's just static load. Substantially more dynamic load when you run over bumps and potholes.

Yes the beam is designed to carry loads down not up but it's just 18 lbs.
Quote Reply
Re: Am I ruining my beam bike with a top tube wall mount? [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone, guess I'm just paranoid about my baby. Gonna mount it up now.

Merry Christmas!
Last edited by: vonagut: Dec 24, 20 11:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The concern you hear or read about is generally a compression load with some torque applied, that creates a moment and high stress at the edges of a clamp (I.e. in a work stand).

The layup is thin and not designed to handle that load case.

Hanging the bike, as pictured - no issue.
Quote Reply
Re: Am I ruining my beam bike with a top tube wall mount? [SBRinSD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For added point:
https://silca.cc/collections/hirobel-1/products/hirobel-clamp

This clamp (originally made for hirobel) is basically the same mount you have, but made to safely put bikes in workstands
Quote Reply