Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Remote physio consultations/treatment
Quote | Reply
Has anyone on here undergone any form of "remote" physio treatment this year? I need to see someone but its not that easy right now where I live due to covid restrictions....just wondered how successful it was without the hands on element? Thank you!
Quote Reply
Re: Remote physio consultations/treatment [hillsider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did for a few weeks but it was with my long time PT that knows me and my limitations very well. Turned out to be an issue that was only resolved thru surgery so didn't really help, but I would not object to remote consults at this point (am seeing her in person for post surgical PT)

Not sure it would work well with someone you don't know already
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ditto Chris - I carried on with my normal physio via a type of zoom call. But she had been treating me weekly/fortnightly prior. Was mainly to get the right progression on rehab stretches / strengthening.

In all honesty then the biggest benefit came after lockdown as I'd been able to keep her income going, so she was still working and available to me. After several years, I'm pretty good at being able to communicate the exact issue though. I admit I' think that there woudl be dubious benefit to seeing a new physio remotely unless it's a reflare of an old issue and you are very experienced in breaking bits of yourself, and so experience of the physio consultations and tests associated with it.
Last edited by: Duncan74: Dec 22, 20 13:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Coming from the practitioner side....TelePT has its place. Will somewhat depend on the case and what you are seeking. I've done several "phone consults" during 2020, but also realize there are some cases I need to put my hands on.

What I've found is a lot of endurance athletes just need some verbal guidance on injury management and/or training progression while dealing with injury. I've had some patients send videos on bike, in the pool or on TM for a bit of bio-mechanical assessment as well. To answer your question....it can be effective to a certain extent.

CB
Physical Therapist/Endurance Coach
http://www.cadencept.net
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like the first two responders, I have also done some PT via video chat with someone I had already seen. My needs have been fairly low stakes and worked out great. I just scheduled another appt for a new (though similar) concern and feel confident in the process.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm with Chris and Duncan.
Have to deal with usual stuff plus a few more casualties from late summer bike crash.
I went to see a new PT this summer, same clinic, because my usal PT wasn't available.
I don't really know how to put it: He just didn't understand "my whole picture", or it's me that wasn't ready to follow his way of thinking. Anyways, after two sessions, and nothing improved, I scratched that guy.
Unfortunately I have to wait till february for my usual PT to come back from maternity leave.
I follow my main masseur/therapist and kinesio's suggestions on messenger (we're FB friends) and it improved the limitations and pain a bit...

Louis :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the responses!
I'm in 2 minds as the reality is I won't see anyone for quite a while, and am pretty desperate to get back training.
I was also considering finding someone to do a running gait analysis by video as my issue is mostly prevalent when I run (or rather afterwards - stiffness all the way from my left buttock down to my calf)..I wondered if someone would be able to identify a weakness somewhere that I could work on.
Anyway, thanks for taking the time to respond, much appreciated.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In some ways then it sounds as if you've not got a lot to lose by trying a few weeks. I'm not sure about the gait analysis as that then conflates potential injuries, your unique bio mechanical structure and your technique into what you do when a camera is pointing at you and your are concentrating very hard to run 'naturally.'

But what do I know, I'm so broken I see my physio more often than my wife....
Quote Reply