Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Quintana Roo Superform [jollyroger88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info Slowman! Does the stem seem original? I'm familiar with Salsa today but not their origins at that time.

Jollyroger88– I'll take a measurement soon and see what I come up with. Right now my plan is to use it for joy rides and see if there's anything I need to change for my personal preferences. I think I will likely change the bars at some point. I might want to find something "period correct" to pay homage to what this thing was designed for. I might want to try a flat bar and go for a "streetfighter" style that is more in line with the rest of my cycling...

For now I'm just enjoying looking at it and going for short rides and reading about the history of how it came together. As a midwest guy I find it pretty cool to have a Teesdale frame.
Quote Reply
Re: Quintana Roo Superform [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Not necessarily related, but did QR at any point (in the 90s?) make a series of 650C road or crit bikes with steep seat tubes and drop bars? I thought they/you did at one point.

you remember correctly.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Quintana Roo Superform [ferdinandtoro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ferdinandtoro wrote:
Thanks for the info Slowman! Does the stem seem original? I'm familiar with Salsa today but not their origins at that time.

Jollyroger88– I'll take a measurement soon and see what I come up with. Right now my plan is to use it for joy rides and see if there's anything I need to change for my personal preferences. I think I will likely change the bars at some point. I might want to find something "period correct" to pay homage to what this thing was designed for. I might want to try a flat bar and go for a "streetfighter" style that is more in line with the rest of my cycling...

For now I'm just enjoying looking at it and going for short rides and reading about the history of how it came together. As a midwest guy I find it pretty cool to have a Teesdale frame.

The salsa stem might be actually part of the original kit; I've seen a few on the Superforms back then. Possibly a bullhorn would look better than a flat bar on that bike, if that fits your riding style
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've seen a photo or two as well with the Salsa stem so I was hoping that was the case. Bullhorns are definitely something I'm considering. Would a Mavic 355 be a reasonable option? Seems period correct. Open to other suggestions on bullhorns that would have been paired with the Roo at the time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ferdinandtoro wrote:
I've seen a photo or two as well with the Salsa stem so I was hoping that was the case. Bullhorns are definitely something I'm considering. Would a Mavic 355 be a reasonable option? Seems period correct. Open to other suggestions on bullhorns that would have been paired with the Roo at the time.

I have a Mavic 355 on one of my rides, a '95 Scott Waimea; it's quite nice and certainly period correct, as Greg Lemond had it when he won the 1989 TdF beating Fignon in the final TT. Another period correct option would be a Cinelli Los Angeles bar, but I would be ok also with installing a cheap modern bullhorn off AliExpress
Last edited by: jollyroger88: Apr 5, 23 5:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info! I'll definitely make a point to post here with any updates/ changes I make.
Quote Reply
Re: Quintana Roo Superform [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Not necessarily related, but did QR at any point (in the 90s?) make a series of 650C road or crit bikes with steep seat tubes and drop bars? I thought they/you did at one point.

you remember correctly.

I'm not sure I ever seen one of those. I remember the small sized (women's) road bikes, whose frames had road geometries, lugged steel tubes, wishbone seat stays, and 650c wheels. I don't know if there was a model name for them

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I googled this one; resembles a mid-90's Kilo (650c wheels and Easton alu frame), but with more RR friendly geo
Last edited by: jollyroger88: Apr 6, 23 6:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IIRC, it was named after Liz Downing

Habitual line stepper.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've just completed another 650c "restomod project": a '95 steel Scott Waimea found cheap on marketplace; here we go!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Finally got around to mocking up the Mavic 355 bars on the Superform. Feel and look good! Need to make a decision on whether to use these levers or some Tektro RX 4.1 TT levers. Then need new / longer cables to route through the bars and a bit of bar tape. Will share final product with y'all when it is done.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ferdinandtoro wrote:
Finally got around to mocking up the Mavic 355 bars on the Superform. Feel and look good! Need to make a decision on whether to use these levers or some Tektro RX 4.1 TT levers. Then need new / longer cables to route through the bars and a bit of bar tape. Will share final product with y'all when it is done.

Hey, those Mavic bull horns look cool. Have you put the tape on, eventually?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:

you remember correctly.

Hi Dan! I'm looking for info about the Scott Tinley bike at 1991 Ironman WC: it looks like a titanium frame, but, as far as I know, they weren't available at the time. It has a "Superform" sticker on the chain stay, but, looking at the seat tube junction, doesn't look like a steel frame. Was that a prototype? For instance, Tinley was aboard a steel frame the subsequent year (1992) and finally on the aluminum "Kilo" in 1993 (I think the first prototypes, delivered to him and Julianne White). Thanks in advance!

Last edited by: jollyroger88: Dec 5, 23 0:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jollyroger88 wrote:
Slowman wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:

you remember correctly.

Hi Dan! I'm looking for info about the Scott Tinley bike at 1991 Ironman WC: it looks like a titanium frame, but, as far as I know, they weren't available at the time. It has a "Superform" sticker on the chain stay, but, looking at the seat tube junction, doesn't look like a steel frame. Was that a prototype? For instance, Tinley was aboard a steel frame the subsequent year (1992) and finally on the aluminum "Kilo" in 1993 (I think the first prototypes, delivered to him and Julianne White). Thanks in advance!

we made 3 and only 3. that's 1. lance had the 2nd. when i say we "made" them, we didn't make them. we gave the geometry to litespeed and they made them for us.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Out of idle curiosity, where is #3?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
jollyroger88 wrote:
Slowman wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:

you remember correctly.

we made 3 and only 3. that's 1. lance had the 2nd. when i say we "made" them, we didn't make them. we gave the geometry to litespeed and they made them for us.

It was my guess too that was a Litespeed built machine, not many titanium builders around at that time. Possibly it's the bike that later evolved in their own branded Tachyon. Thanks Dan!
Quote Reply
Re: Quintana Roo Superform [Robert Preston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Robert Preston wrote:

Good question! The best QR athletes in 1991 were possibly (besides Tinley and Lance A.): Ray Browning, Liz Downing, Emilio De Soto and Mark Montgomery. On that day (Ironman WC 1991) Browning was aboard a white steel frame
Quote Reply
Re: Quintana Roo Superform [Robert Preston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Robert Preston wrote:

went to a business contemporary of mine. there was a 55cm (lance), 57cm (that one you're talking about), 59cm (tinley, based on the image). but we're talking 30 years ago so i couldn't say where any of them are today.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply

Prev Next