Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

TRI shoes VS Road shoes
Quote | Reply
Ok so I'm a bit curious about the outlook you guys have on this topic. It seems when I watch TRI coverage that the pro field is split (not sure what percentage the split would be though) on athletes choosing TRI shoes and standard road shoes.

What's the general consensus of the SlowTwitch community?

ig - @servicecourse_evv
Quote Reply
Re: TRI shoes VS Road shoes [ProWrench84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you only watching Ironman and Half Ironman coverage?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ProWrench84 wrote:
Ok so I'm a bit curious about the outlook you guys have on this topic. It seems when I watch TRI coverage that the pro field is split (not sure what percentage the split would be though) on athletes choosing TRI shoes and standard road shoes.

Outside of a sprint where every second counts, and thus need a shoe that you can get on and fasten super quick, I'd say the consensus is that you go with whichever shoe you find most comfortable.
Quote Reply
Re: TRI shoes VS Road shoes [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:

I'm not referring to any specific organization or distance. Just something I have noticed while watching race coverage. My initial thought was the ones who made the choice for traditional road shoes ran a cleat position that wasn't accessible on a TRI shoe or they just personally see value in training and racing in the same shoes to be sure to avoid any differences what so ever on race day.

ig - @servicecourse_evv
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ProWrench84 wrote:
jaretj wrote:

I'm not referring to any specific organization or distance. Just something I have noticed while watching race coverage. My initial thought was the ones who made the choice for traditional road shoes ran a cleat position that wasn't accessible on a TRI shoe or they just personally see value in training and racing in the same shoes to be sure to avoid any differences what so ever on race day.

The reason the prior poster asked about which events your are watching is because race distance ratio to transition time can cause an athlete to choose a different shoe.

I race bikes, but would have to assume the more aero road shoes would be better the longer the race. Transition time already probably being a tad longer than a sprint. In a sprint, I'd think you want a lightning transition versus trying to gain a watt over the next 30min of bike riding.

Also, people put elastic laces in road shoes now so that they work just like slipping into an elastic lace run shoe. Bridging the gap on aero and transition time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
His point (and I agree) is that the consensus is likely to be dependent on race distance. Sprint/Oly are short enough where every second counts and so I honestly can't think of a single pro in ITU that wears road shoes.

HIM and IM distances road shoes are more prevalent for a variety of reasons.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not aware of anyone in the World Triathlon Series wearing road shoes. Then maybe those are the athletes off the back so I don't see them.
Quote Reply
Re: TRI shoes VS Road shoes [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I was doing draft legal sprints, seconds made a difference between making the group or riding by myself.

It was get on the bike and ride as hard as you possibly can to get on someone's wheel because they were trying to get on the wheel of someone 5 seconds in front of them. It was a lot of 200% efforts at the beginning.
Quote Reply
Re: TRI shoes VS Road shoes [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For me, the justification for tri shows is ventilation. My feet are wet after swimming. If I am racing in a hot climate, I am dousing myself with water at aid stations. Also taking care of nature’s business. My Specialized Trivents give decent ventilation. Doing all those things in a road shoe would be miserable, even if it saved me a few watts ( which it probably would).
Quote Reply
Re: TRI shoes VS Road shoes [Waingro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've never ridden in specialized tri vents, perhaps they have great cooling that I'm not accustomed to.

I ride in Sidi T4's and G10's, I don't feel any difference between them in cooling but I do wear the T4's without socks and they are much easier to get on while on the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My first pair of cycling shoes were touring shoes because they were cheap and I didn't own my own bike at the time. So I used those training on spin bikes and using a mountain bike in my first tri.

I have road shoes right now, never really thought about getting tri specific shoes until now, three years after rolling with my road shoes. Some people have multiple shoes, some people don't.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I personally use road shoe for IM/HIM because I find them more comfortable and probably a bit more aero. Sprint/Oly I do tri shoes because I'm done in 30-70min or so and transition time takes precedence. I've also never had issues with wet feet going into my road shoes and never had liquids (of any kind) bother my feet on an IM/HIM so that becomes an easy decision for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Road shoes are typically more comfortable and more aero, but harder to get into.

As mentioned, for short races (and events where "making the pack" is critical), tri-specific shoes make sense.

For longer events that are effectively time trials (ex. Oly and up for non-elites), the time savings of a road shoe almost always overcomes the extra transition time (esp. if you aren't doing flying mounts).

Personally, I use tri shoes for sprints and lace-up shoes (with elastic laces and lace covers) for 70.3 (for the superior aerodynamics). Oly is kinda a toss up and course dependent.

Compare them (eyeball wind tunnel) to tri shoes:

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Last edited by: Titanflexr: Dec 22, 20 11:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ProWrench84 wrote:

If they are professionals they should be choosing their equipment wisely. Sponsorship dicates some decisions but some athletes just don't do a good job in general of understanding aerodynamics. Athletes in the know should be choosing aerodynamic shoes as long as they fit and have bearable comfort. See a lot of pros doing elastic laces on lace ups which I highlighted many moons ago in 2016. If you care about time choose an aero setup, if you aren't there for time then choose whatever is most comforting to you.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: TRI shoes VS Road shoes [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
ProWrench84 wrote:
jaretj wrote:

The reason the prior poster asked about which events your are watching is because race distance ratio to transition time can cause an athlete to choose a different shoe.

I race bikes, but would have to assume the more aero road shoes would be better the longer the race. Transition time already probably being a tad longer than a sprint. In a sprint, I'd think you want a lightning transition versus trying to gain a watt over the next 30min of bike riding.

Also, people put elastic laces in road shoes now so that they work just like slipping into an elastic lace run shoe. Bridging the gap on aero and transition time.

I *think* that is what Ed O'Malley (RowToTri) is trying to do with his VeloVetta shoes--bridge that gap of aero & fast transition. I know there were some weight concerns he had initially with the mech on the shoes but I haven't heard much of an update on the latest, weight comparisons, etc. It looks like an interesting project, and if it is all that plus a stiff enough shoe for most TT folks--with a fair price, I think he may have something on his hands. Ed doesn't know me from Peter or Paul but thought I'd just toss that out there since this seems to be along the lines of possibly fitting both spectrums. Of course, everyone's feet are different. I prefer velcro only because they are fast to put on & I've become accustomed to those type of shoes. Not a huge BOA fan on shoes. Pressure points are an issue.
Quote Reply
Re: TRI shoes VS Road shoes [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the weight on the shoes Ed will produce is very competitive against the market, may not compare against the lightest tri shoe, but definitely hold its owne with the premium road market. Can't wait for those to go on sail. #MarginalGains

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: TRI shoes VS Road shoes [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m in the market for some new shoes. The modified Empires look nice but most of my races are shorter distance (with an occasional 70.3). Fizik has some nice looking triathlon shoes (look more aero than most tri-specific shoes).

https://www.fizik.com/...shop/shoes/road.html

Does anyone have any thoughts/experiences related to these?
Quote Reply
Re: TRI shoes VS Road shoes [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Curious to hear if anyone has takes on these two from Specialized:
EXOS Road Shoes
EXOS 99 Road Shoes

Reading some reviews, it sounds like they could be a PITA to slip into since the upper is so dang flexible.
Quote Reply
Re: TRI shoes VS Road shoes [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Curious about your lace-up shoe set-up: What's your process for getting your feet into the shoes?
I'm assuming you're coming out of T1 jumping onto the bike with your feet atop the shoes already clipped into the pedals. Then what? How do you get your foot in with that lace-cover? Do you use an elastic lace setup like Yankz to cinch up your shoe laces?

And that lace-cover: do you have the lace-cover already on the shoe coming out of T1? Which lace-cover do you use? Is it specific to those shoes or generic?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use road shoes for all training, and races half and longer, tri shoes for all else.
Quote Reply