Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Marathon Project - Greg Billington
Quote | Reply
fomer team USA olympic triathlete... 2:!5 today. beat jared ward

https://www.athlinks.com/event/346072/results/Event/948040/Course/1968322/Results
Quote Reply
Re: Marathon Project - Greg Billington [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is most impressive about his race is his pacing - looks like it was nearly identical for every split - started out at a 5:10 pace and pretty much held it the whole way through. He definitely knew what he could do, and probably raced to the best of his ability.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't speak for any other locals. But that may as well have not existed. I looked at their media list and there was a lot of podcasts and stuff on letsrun, I don't go to letsrun for anything. They did some stuff with the Arizona Republic which I don't read. The truly major mainstream sports outlet is Arizona Sports 98.7 and its website. And I also understand they did it with no spectators, the first time I heard about it was this morning scrolling on twitter and of course it was a paywalled NYT article.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Marathon Project - Greg Billington [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
natethomas wrote:
What is most impressive about his race is his pacing - looks like it was nearly identical for every split - started out at a 5:10 pace and pretty much held it the whole way through. He definitely knew what he could do, and probably raced to the best of his ability.

Talk about great pacing, the winner went 1:04.29 1:04.30, no negative split though 😜

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: Marathon Project - Greg Billington [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JackStraw13 wrote:
natethomas wrote:

Talk about great pacing, the winner went 1:04.29 1:04.30, no negative split though 😜

15:30 for 1st 5k, then 15:17 every 5k after, like clockwork! He stayed at the back of the lead group until about 5k to go when others started to fade.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This guy is now the 9th fastest ever American marathoner.

https://www.runnersworld.com/...shed-the-trials-10k/
Quote Reply
Re: Marathon Project - Greg Billington [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kny wrote:

He also promptly puked after finishing.
Quote Reply
Re: Marathon Project - Greg Billington [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
I can't speak for any other locals. But that may as well have not existed. I looked at their media list and there was a lot of podcasts and stuff on letsrun, I don't go to letsrun for anything. They did some stuff with the Arizona Republic which I don't read. The truly major mainstream sports outlet is Arizona Sports 98.7 and its website. And I also understand they did it with no spectators, the first time I heard about it was this morning scrolling on twitter and of course it was a paywalled NYT article.

I think that was the point--not to draw any attention and thus, not draw a crowd. Which of course won't be allowed anywhere really. They specifically said no live audience when they announced this event a few months back.

And also, I believe it caught like fire and came together very quickly. The entry list grew very fast. I'm assuming it started as something small, mainly with the Hoka NAZ Elite team, but once word got out about the event, it became much bigger and more complicated to coordinate. They didn't even have a title sponsor until just before the event.
Quote Reply
Re: Marathon Project - Greg Billington [phoenixR34] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well they did a live PPV event and an NBCSN Special...so clearly they wanted someone to know about it!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
Well they did a live PPV event and an NBCSN Special...so clearly they wanted someone to know about it!

As I said, it all came together pretty fast. They didn't even announce the TV coverage until a week or two before. Either due to setting it up at the last minute, or perhaps they didn't want too much publicity for crowd purposes.
Quote Reply
Re: Marathon Project - Greg Billington [phoenixR34] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like how the details for Challenge Daytona were only published last minute as well.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:

i knew it a while back. you more or so had to be in the running circle of life
Quote Reply
Re: Marathon Project - Greg Billington [jeremyscarroll] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeremyscarroll wrote:
kny wrote:

He also promptly puked after finishing.

Actually, NO- that is the second place finisher :-) Look at the time on the race clock, 12 seconds after the winner who was fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah it is good but just to keep this in perspective... 2:15 is not good for a world class athlete. Beating Ward is impressive but he obviously had a bad day and looks like his career is going downhill anyway. An Olympic triathlete needs to run 29:xx in a race and probably sub 29, 28 low in a fresh 10k which is no worse than 2:15

Then the winner 2:08 and a handful of guys under 2:10. The real question is why are American marathon runners not very good. At this point even if you run 2:04 you are not a favorite in any marathon major.

The real winner of this race is Galen Rupp who is proven to be in a league of his own amongst American marathoners plus Adidas for proving once again they can roll with the vapor/alphafly
Quote Reply
Re: Marathon Project - Greg Billington [TBrownRuns] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TBrownRuns wrote:
Yeah it is good but just to keep this in perspective... 2:15 is not good for a world class athlete. Beating Ward is impressive but he obviously had a bad day and looks like his career is going downhill anyway. An Olympic triathlete needs to run 29:xx in a race and probably sub 29, 28 low in a fresh 10k which is no worse than 2:15

Then the winner 2:08 and a handful of guys under 2:10. The real question is why are American marathon runners not very good. At this point even if you run 2:04 you are not a favorite in any marathon major.

The real winner of this race is Galen Rupp who is proven to be in a league of his own amongst American marathoners plus Adidas for proving once again they can roll with the vapor/alphafly

ignore times, as shoe doping tech adulterated them. consider placing. So Billington beating an exclusive distance runner, is note worthy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
YouMadBro?
Quote Reply
Re: Marathon Project - Greg Billington [pacco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I probably would have watched it, or at least had my DVR set before finding out mid-SNF that the special was on and only DVRd parts of it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe you'll reconsider not going to letsrun for running content in the future. The forum is the biggest waste of space on the internet but the front page can have some valid content. I mean, you do you but you can't get mad that a tiny, elite only loop marathon wasn't talked about in the mainstream for weeks ahead of time. It's running (spoken by a lifelong running geek).
Quote Reply