Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Pain Cave Features [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PS - I only have 120v, not financially prepared to wire for 220, or hard pipe propane at the moment. I am limited to 120v electric, or 20-30# propane tanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Pain Cave Features [Tmontgomery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used to train in an unheated external garage in the north of UK - outside temp typically got to -5degree centigrade outside. I never felt the need to have a heater or insulation, just a fan for cooling. I have mild asthma, but even so, starting off wearing a medium fleece and then shed layers as I went on. However, I accept I just used to do the iMagic rides, not any weights or other things. So that could change the ideal temp.

Only thing I needed was to be sure there were dry warm layers to add after I finished, or even during the cooldown. Of course a lot does depend on your personal heat tolerance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You will be surprised at how effective one of the 120v oil space heaters can be. Get one you set the temperature on and just let it run. You don’t need much.

My first winter in this house was really cold. I just put layers on and took them off as I warmed up. Just keep the shoes inside- makes a HUGE difference. You Will still want a fan.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wouldn’t go propane since it takes the O2 from the inside which you will need.
What about just put some clothing on appropriate to the temperature and just figure out what exactly you need when rolled in for 15mins. There won’t be wind and you produce (or at least should) heat. Would try that first and go from there.Probably the cheapest version. An electric heater is thrown in with ease.

-shoki
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You may be ok with electric baseboard heat, chances are you won't want to keep it at the same temp as the rest of your house anyway which will cut down on how much heat you need. Do me a favor and reply with the town your new house is in and the approximate layout dimensions of the garage. I will run a heatloss calc and get a ballpark for how much heat input you will really need.
Quote Reply
Re: Pain Cave Features [rrutis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is my layout on the third car side . We live in Chicago and the winter are pretty brutall. This setup is perfect all year round .
Horse stall mats on the ground
Insulated garage doors and walls
Mr Heater 80,000 btu garage heater
TV
Smith Machine
Last edited by: Zientom: Dec 27, 20 6:10
Quote Reply
Re: Pain Cave Features [mikemelbrooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you look at what he has.... I don’t think he is worried about budget. Lol

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Re: Pain Cave Features [prefersdirt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed on the Tractor supply mats, will never go back to anything else
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would add HomeKit lights like Lifx or Hue so you can change the color ambience.
Quote Reply
Re: Pain Cave Features [Eroc43] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is genius idea. I don't know if it will work in my situation. I will vet it out when we get moved in - 01/15. Do you have an images of someone who has used it? The TV mount would be nice if you could mount a larger TV stacked on top of a smaller one. The large visible while on treadmill, and both functional while on the bike in the TT position.
Quote Reply
Re: Pain Cave Features [rrutis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That would be great, really appreciate it. It's a 3 car with the 3rd space being ~10' x 20', and the 1 / 2 side being 19' x 23'. The whole garage is 1 open area, the 3rd stall is the space I will be training. I am only concerned with heating the training space, but there isn't a way to isolate it. After running some numbers I realized I need to upgrade my garage breakers to 20 amp, so when I called the electrician I had him quote installing a 220v outlet. I was amazed to hear he could do it for $250. It wasn't something I had planned for, but YOLO. With that being said, I will have 220v to power a heater. Thanks again, for running the numbers, and providing the technical advice.
Quote Reply
Re: Pain Cave Features [khouryd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had never heard of them until you mentioned it. They are pricey, but SUPER cool. I may have to wait, but definitely going to do it. Thank you.
Quote Reply
Re: Pain Cave Features [Roda2222] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you to everyone who provided reviews on their mat set up - 6' x 4' x 3/4" rubber from TSC. I called their customer service, and politely asked for a 10% coupon, and they obliged. Something to consider if anyone else if on the fence about purchasing mats.
Quote Reply
Re: Pain Cave Features [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Excellent point - we have a Belgian Malinois trained up to chew the face off would be intruders. ha. I tried to attach a video of her in action, but don't know if it will come through.
Quote Reply
Re: Pain Cave Features [dcohen24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats! Sounds like a very nice set up. What cabling are you using to connect your laptop to the stacked TV's? I have 1 - USB C, 1 - HDMI, and 3 - USB ports on my laptop. Having only 1 HDMI I am not sure what the best way to connect both displays. Thank you for the insight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For those of you that have a treadmill and bike trainer or have a dual purpose room, here is a tip. I bought a tv mount that is made for going above a fireplace mantle. It allows you to mount a tv higher on the wall and then pull it down for a better viewing angle. I pull it down when I am on the trainer so it can be at eye level and keep it higher when on the treadmill. It can also tilt up and down and swivel from side to side.
Last edited by: RonMar: Jan 19, 21 11:19
Quote Reply

Prev Next