Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How has your easy running pace changed over the years? [rucker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rucker wrote:
When I was in high school, I could run mid/high 17s for 5km and my "easy" pace was 7:15-7:30, sometimes into the high 6s. I ran maybe 30mpw. I bumped my mileage up to 45-60 and slowed my easy pace down to ~8min/mi, and got a lot faster.

Easy pace isn't a great indicator of fitness, IMO. I know plenty of people who run way too fast on their daily runs, insisting it's easy, and race at a pace barely faster than the easy days. These are 18:30-19:30 5k types who run 7:30/mi on easy days (5k pace + 60-90sec). I know plenty of fast runners (2:30-2:45 marathoners) who run easy days at 7:30-8min pace (marathon pace + 2min).

Had similar experiences. I think HSers across the board are all doing easy runs way too fast. I have a buddy who broke 14 recently for the 5k and I see him doing his regular easy runs at 7:15 pace when in HS he was doing his easy runs closer to 6:50 and running 15:30 for the 5k

In general I wouldn't advise to try to run your easy runs faster. One thing I have found helpful for keeping pace low is running off time for easy runs instead of mileage. This way you are running 45 minutes or 60 minutes or whatever time you have scheduled and it is going to take the same amount of time whether you run 7 minute pace or 8 minute pace
Quote Reply
Re: How has your easy running pace changed over the years? [duganator99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While aging up in the younger age groups can make you faster, aging up in the older age groups usually indicates an oncoming performance decline. Now you have to use old age & treachery more often when racing to go as fast.

I used to run 11k at my day in day out pace 10 years ago. Now that's 10k in the same time.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: How has your easy running pace changed over the years? [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting because I find the treadmill keeps me honest. Running outside I'm feeling good and run too fast on the easy runs.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: How has your easy running pace changed over the years? [SnowChicken] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's all perception. I take "easy runs" literally, a step above shuffle. If you think I got faster over the years, you would be fooling yourself. Easy, with a capital E.
Quote Reply
Re: How has your easy running pace changed over the years? [duganator99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What feels easy to me is 30-45 seconds faster than it was 10 years ago, because I run a lot more than I did.

I struggle to run slower than 8:00 pace. I know that by the 80/20 rule, I am probably doing the wrong thing, but when I get out and start running, it just feels nice to run 7:30-45.

Of interest, running slower than 8:30 pace for me is counter productive. It hurts! Something with my mechanics is worse when I run slow. I did a 24 hour running challenge not so long ago, starting out at 9-9:30 pace, forcing myself to run that slow. By six hours in, my quads and hips were killing me and I dropped out. I think if I would have run more like 8-8:15 that I would have been better off.

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.
Quote Reply

Prev Next