Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: So it’s 14 degrees - treadmill ideas [darkwave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
darkwave wrote:
DKMNTRI wrote:
I'm running on it at 195 pounds often at 11-11.5 mph and the service tech told me I'm in the 'wrong class' of treadmills.

I think your combination of body weight and speed puts you at the pointy end in terms of demands on treadmills. I'd think you'd do best with a commercial treadmill, honestly.

I can't recommend the TrueForm Runner more. I weigh more than the above and can sprint up to 15km/hr (not for long, I'm slow!) without as much as a hiccup on the belt. I used to cause the belt on my 3hp treadmill to slip often. It's helping my form and glute activation immensely. No more "lazy" running.
Quote Reply
Re: So it’s 14 degrees - treadmill ideas [Tri.Tony] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri.Tony wrote:
swimbikerun66 wrote:
Slowman wrote:
i'm about to write a review of a horizon 7.8 AT treadmill. long story short i'm very impressed. it's a consumer direct brand, i got the pallet dropped off, it took 2hr to assemble, and it's exceeded my expectations. this is their top of the line treadmill, and it's $1,999.

I bought my 7.8 AT last month and could not be happier with the new treadmill, I looked around a lot and I decided that I would rather pay for heavily engineered treadmill over one that has more bells and whistles. The Bluetooth connectivity works really well and it makes running on Zwift super easy. The only snag I had with the Zwift integration was remembering to switch Zwift to the running program before turning on the treadmill, otherwise the treadmill will connect to the "controllable trainer" on the cycling side and not function properly until you disconnect and restart the treadmill and Zwift. Be prepared though this treadmill is heavy, I moved mine into the house Egyptian style with dowel rods under the box to roll it to the pain cave. Assembly is easy for anyone that is competent with hand tools and written directions. Now early morning runs are much more frequent and enjoyable during the cold weather months.

The direct to consumer probably presents a good value proposition. My concern would be my ability to assemble it properly. I also would have been concerned about getting it to where it needs to be, but for the post above-great idea!

I’ll be on the lookout for the review.

the review is up on the one I got earlier this month. it took me 2hr to assemble. i got a note from horizon this morning, they made a code for us: SLOWTWITCH100

this is good during january. well, from now thru the end of january. we don't participate financially in this, and horizon is not a partner or advertiser or anything like that (but one can hold out hope!). they do have inventory now, is what i heard this morning, but, i don't think they're chock full of them.

i'll answer any questions about this treadmill that i can, if you have any, and if i know the answer.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: So it’s 14 degrees - treadmill ideas [robyb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
robyb wrote:
darkwave wrote:
DKMNTRI wrote:
I'm running on it at 195 pounds often at 11-11.5 mph and the service tech told me I'm in the 'wrong class' of treadmills.

I think your combination of body weight and speed puts you at the pointy end in terms of demands on treadmills. I'd think you'd do best with a commercial treadmill, honestly.

I can't recommend the TrueForm Runner more. I weigh more than the above and can sprint up to 15km/hr (not for long, I'm slow!) without as much as a hiccup on the belt. I used to cause the belt on my 3hp treadmill to slip often. It's helping my form and glute activation immensely. No more "lazy" running.

i have one of these in the workshop, and i think it's a great unit. really solid. takes a little acclimation. easy on the legs once you get used to it. if you want to stream with it, and the unit you have doesn't have built-in BLE, you just put a RUNN unit on there and you're good.

the only issue with this is if speed is a factor. in my opinion, were i trueform i'd build an app, put a wifi card in the unit along with the BLE capacity, the app would allow me to "normalize" the speed of the treadmill to reflect the effort i'm producing. in other words, if this treadmill tends to run 30 percent slower than a standard motorized treadmill on the same effort then allow me to fake-speed-up the treadmill to reflect the effort i'm actually running. then transmit that normalized speed to zwift, or to strava or whateve i'm syncing to. this gives me the value of the treadmill but doesn't penalize my achievements.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: So it’s 14 degrees - treadmill ideas [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan- will the code work for any treadmill from Horizon, or just the 7.8 AT?
Quote Reply
Re: So it’s 14 degrees - treadmill ideas [TheMan232] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheMan232 wrote:
Dan- will the code work for any treadmill from Horizon, or just the 7.8 AT?

apparently not. i just tried to buy the 7.4 using the coupon code and it didn't accept it. but when i tried buying the 7.8 it did accept it.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To everyone buying a treadmill for Zwift, I’d add that having a larger monitor is quite a luxury. I was using an iPad Air and happy with it until I used my iPhone 11 for Zwift and plugged it into my 32 inch tv. Very sharp and easy to read all names, see pace, and all the fonts. Map and other runners really jump out. It just makes it much more immersive. The iphones native wide aspect worked great for monitor, the iPad with a 3/2 aspect, much less so; the iPad plugged into the tv creates giant borders on the left and right side.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Tri.Tony wrote:
swimbikerun66 wrote:
Slowman wrote:
i'm about to write a review of a horizon 7.8 AT treadmill. long story short i'm very impressed. it's a consumer direct brand, i got the pallet dropped off, it took 2hr to assemble, and it's exceeded my expectations. this is their top of the line treadmill, and it's $1,999.

I bought my 7.8 AT last month and could not be happier with the new treadmill, I looked around a lot and I decided that I would rather pay for heavily engineered treadmill over one that has more bells and whistles. The Bluetooth connectivity works really well and it makes running on Zwift super easy. The only snag I had with the Zwift integration was remembering to switch Zwift to the running program before turning on the treadmill, otherwise the treadmill will connect to the "controllable trainer" on the cycling side and not function properly until you disconnect and restart the treadmill and Zwift. Be prepared though this treadmill is heavy, I moved mine into the house Egyptian style with dowel rods under the box to roll it to the pain cave. Assembly is easy for anyone that is competent with hand tools and written directions. Now early morning runs are much more frequent and enjoyable during the cold weather months.

The direct to consumer probably presents a good value proposition. My concern would be my ability to assemble it properly. I also would have been concerned about getting it to where it needs to be, but for the post above-great idea!

I’ll be on the lookout for the review.

the review is up on the one I got earlier this month. it took me 2hr to assemble. i got a note from horizon this morning, they made a code for us: SLOWTWITCH100

this is good during january. well, from now thru the end of january. we don't participate financially in this, and horizon is not a partner or advertiser or anything like that (but one can hold out hope!). they do have inventory now, is what i heard this morning, but, i don't think they're chock full of them.

i'll answer any questions about this treadmill that i can, if you have any, and if i know the answer.

Just bought mine, or I should say my wife did. The extra 100 bucks savings with the code sealed the deal. Thanks very much. Easy to justify the cost since we both had gym memberships we had to cancel. I had a second one by my office that I also cancelled. They are on back order. I hope we don’t have to wait too long.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dang it! I spend the weekend convincing the wife we needed two (1 for her and 1 for me), went to purchase and they are out of the 7.8AT's. Hope they come back soon - she's known to change her mind lol
Quote Reply
Re: So it’s 14 degrees - treadmill ideas [Boschery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Boschery wrote:
Dang it! I spend the weekend convincing the wife we needed two (1 for her and 1 for me), went to purchase and they are out of the 7.8AT's. Hope they come back soon - she's known to change her mind lol

what i'd heard is that when they're out, they're only out briefly. let me ping them and see what the prognosis is.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: So it’s 14 degrees - treadmill ideas [Boschery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Boschery wrote:

FYI, horizon just expanded its discount code to the 7.4AT. SLOWTWITCH100 i believe it is. last i checked, that one they had stock in. pretty much the same treadmill, biggest difference 3.5hp motor instead of 4.0hp motor.

i don't understand the difference in the motors. i don't get it. either the motor runs the treadmill or not. so, for the bigger motor to be needed, what? you've have to be running at a very high speed, up an incline? or you'd need to be 300 pounds running at 5min miles? what? perhaps it's a question of how quickly the treadmill accelerates when you increase the speed, but how much of an issue is that? a few tenths of a second?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply

Prev Next