Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: $160K worth of bikes stolen from Specialized [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JackStraw13 wrote:
Gonna be tough to unload those if they are unique.

Or they'll be broken up. Sell the wheels. Sell the mechs, the shifters, cranksets etc.
Sell the seatpost and sell the saddle. Sell the brake calipers. Etc etc.
For the mtbs sell the forks, shocks and dropper post too.

How long before they parts start appearing bit by bit on Fleabay ? (It's impossible for the online platforms to police it when its down to parts.

Easier too especially when there's a scarcity of new parts out there.

Burn the unique frames. Sell the normal.

Happens with stolen bikes all the time.
They're bastards who should be used for drug experiments.
Quote Reply
Re: $160K worth of bikes stolen from Specialized [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BobAjobb wrote:
JackStraw13 wrote:
Gonna be tough to unload those if they are unique.

Or they'll be broken up. Sell the wheels. Sell the mechs, the shifters, cranksets etc.
Sell the seatpost and sell the saddle. Sell the brake calipers. Etc etc.
For the mtbs sell the forks, shocks and dropper post too.

How long before they parts start appearing bit by bit on Fleabay ? (It's impossible for the online platforms to police it when its down to parts.

Easier too especially when there's a scarcity of new parts out there.

Burn the unique frames. Sell the normal.

Happens with stolen bikes all the time.
They're bastards who should be used for drug experiments.

Not sure that makes sense, they dumped a truck to get these and while that could have been stolen, if they were so desperate to steal 18 bikes and sell their parts for a much, much smaller amount than they could get for them as a whole, why dump a truck they could have sold for parts (and gotten more than the bike parts they stole)?

one or few of them will pop up again some day, perhaps after 3 years when the statute of limitations expires and collectors can flaunt them on instagram.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: $160K worth of bikes stolen from Specialized [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tell me more

There’s a 3 year statute of limitations for stealing someone else’s nice stuff?
Quote Reply
Re: $160K worth of bikes stolen from Specialized [mvenneta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mvenneta wrote:
Tell me more

There’s a 3 year statute of limitations for stealing someone else’s nice stuff?

Idk, I'm no lawyer, I just googled California burglary statute of limitations so could be wrong. I am confident there is some sort of statute of limitations, only stuff like murder doesn't, so my point stands that it is easy for a collector to keep something in hiding until it isn't a crime and by that point, there is no way evidence will exist to tie the buyer to the procurement.

Even if I am wrong about that I can't see how it makes sense to sell parts of a bike when they dumped a truck for it. Sure a great groupset goes for a few hundred but if they just wanted parts, the truck would be a lot of money wasted.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: $160K worth of bikes stolen from Specialized [trimule] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trimule wrote:
"Third time (twice at HQ) since 2015 Specialized has been hit with thefts?!?! I think it’s insurance premium just went up."

Yeah! When I saw this I checked the date - thought it must be one of those "Zombie" post from years back that pops up every now and then. There seem to be some slow learners down there.

So, they've had their HQ hit before and they don't have security?

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: $160K worth of bikes stolen from Specialized [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:

Idk, I'm no lawyer, I just googled California burglary statute of limitations so could be wrong. I am confident there is some sort of statute of limitations, only stuff like murder doesn't, so my point stands that it is easy for a collector to keep something in hiding until it isn't a crime and by that point, there is no way evidence will exist to tie the buyer to the procurement.

Selling (or buying) stolen property is a fresh, new crime. Only the original theft would be subject to the 3 years. But that doesn't mean the stuff is yours after 3 years. It's still stolen property.
Quote Reply

Prev Next