Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hagemanns prime number ultra run
Quote | Reply
Thought this super cool event deserved a thread here, for any of you interested in new kinds of Ultra-Events:

Norwegian Ultra running enthusiast Einar Hagemann is hosting an event labelled "Hagemanns primtallkalender". (In english Hagemanns prime number calender). Is a christmas calender of sorts, which start on December 1st. To compete you need to run a number of kilometres every day, equivalent to the prime numbers in ascending order. This means you run 2km on Dec 1st, 3km on Dec 2nd, 5km on Dec 3rd, and so on.

This is very managable the first week, but quickly turns into a true ultra event. F.ex. already on Dec 10th, the bar is set to 29km. Then 31km. Then 37km. You get the picture! :) As of today, Dec 17th, you need to run 59km to stay in the game. The event is a "last man standing", meaning that you stay in the mix as long as you run the required kilometres every day. Needless to say, you will accumulate a LOT of kilometres during December if you stay in this!

To give you some numbers, completing the first week only requires a total of 58km. Week 2 - however - adds a whooping 223 km - for a total of 281 for the first two weeks. To complete the entire week 3, you need another 431km this week, bringing the total to 712 if you were to last until the end of week 3 on Dec 21st. It then goes on requiring 79 km Dec 22nd, 83 km Dec 23rd, and 89 km on Christmas Eve! :) If more than 1 stay in the game after Christmas, it goes on and on. New years eve is 127 km, and then were pushing the boundaries of what you can complete in successive days:)

You are allowed to split the required distance up into several runs, but all must be completed on the same day. Or, more precicely, to count towards your Dec 17 run-requirement, the activity must be started before 23:59 on this day :)

The event is hosted in Norway through Hagemanns facebook-page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1220498728307617.
Contestants need to upload strava (or garminconnect, or other equivalent GPS-tracking evidence) of their runs every day. I do not have the total count, but I believe there were still 3 or 4 contestants still in the mix yesterday, meaning they completed yesterdays run of 53 km.

One of the remaining contestans is Norways undisputed Queen of Ultras, Therese Falk. She just completed todays run of 59km. She is having a real duke-out with Frank Løke (Norwegian ex-handball pro, who turned to ultra-running post retirement). Therese has stated she will not quit until Frank does, and they are both stubborn as donkeys (if that is even an english expression, ha!). I'll be really surprised if anyone can beat Therese in this event.

Just wanted to post this here as well - these kind of events deserve every bit of attention they can get. Super-cool covid-friendly competition, that can give a lot of people motivation! Hagemann is starting a new event with the same rules on Jan 1st (i think), and I'm sure they accept foreign entries! :) Happy running!
Quote Reply
Re: Hagemanns prime number ultra run [lovegoat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My family would really love it if I ran long on Christmas Day, or multiple days in a row during the holidays
Quote Reply
Re: Hagemanns prime number ultra run [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:
My family would really love it if I ran long on Christmas Day, or multiple days in a row during the holidays

Yea just a casual 89km to start your Holiday:-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Des Linden did something similar in October using miles, but not prime numbers. https://www.nytimes.com/...e&section=Sports

i thought she was pushing the limits!
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Dec 17, 20 8:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought of one once where you're run the date - sort of

Jan 1st - 1.1 miles [or 1.01, I forget]
Jan 2nd - 1.2 [or 1.02]

Feb 1st - 2.1 [or 2.01]

The longest run you'd do all year would be New Year's Eve - 12.31 miles, unless you're one of those European weirdos who do the date 31.12, in which case we're back to Des's month, every month

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Hagemanns prime number ultra run [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hehe yea i read about that one.

One quite popular december-activity here is doing something like this, only in kilometers. Also, you are allowed to shuffle around the days. From 1. - 24. december you need to do 24 runs, ranging from 1 to 24 km. (iow 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 and 24). Its managable, but still quite good volume. Nets you 300 km for 24 days :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I can shuffle, that's a challenge I could accept!
Quote Reply
Re: Hagemanns prime number ultra run [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Plus, if you can already run 24K, it's a breeze

Even starting at 0 [or 1] you can trick yourself into only adding 1/2 a K each day to the out & back; kinda like "The Gary the Vale Ultramarathon Training Program"

The Plan goes like this: Every week, you add ONE mile to your long run; ideally, by going 1/2 a mile further on an out-n-back route, so you can look 800yds down the road and say to yourself "Self. We're going down to there next week [or tomorrow, in this case]. Just a little further, that's not so bad, right?"

Now, be warned ... to my knowledge, no one has actually started at zero [or 1, as the case may be] and stuck with it for an ENTIRE year, culminating in a 52-mile run [people tend to do silly things like sign up for races along the way, messing up the progression]

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just a little update. The two most stubborn people (Said Therese Falk and Frank Løke) are still at it.

Yesterday they both did their prescribed 71km run (they are now going about at around 6min/km pace). Therese has already completed her 73km for they day. Tomorrow is 79.

Amazing, in my opinion! Id struggle with 73 km alone, but they are now doing it on the back of a 400km+ week, that comes on the back of a 200 km+ week
Quote Reply
Re: Hagemanns prime number ultra run [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
.... unless you're one of those European weirdos who do the date 31.12....
Yeah, 'cause it makes sense to write the mid sized unit first followed by the smallest and then the largest...... ;) US americans are silly.
Almost the entire world writes it DD/MM/YYYY and I think a few middle eastern and asian countries use YYYY/MM/DD. It's a counting system. It should be logical. The US version is not. Only the US that I know of does not place the units in either ascending or descending order of magnitude with the silly MM/DD/YYYY format. It's absurd, unjustifiable, and irritates rational people everywhere, (as does the crazy attachment to the imperial system).
Quote Reply