Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

All-around Road Bike Recommendations
Quote | Reply
I'm thinking about buying a new road bike this spring. Currently riding a 2017 Giant TCR w/105 which has been great, but I'd like to upgrade to disc brakes and possibly electronic shifting. I've been very happy with the way the Giant handles though.

Most rides will be 25-75 miles on rolling New England roads with an occasional longer ride. We have a family place in the mountains so something that is fairly light and climbs well is a high priority. In season I ride with a reasonably fast group 2-3 times a week. I have a gravel/cx bike which I plan to keep, so I don't need something that doubles as a gravel bike or fits wide tires. I guess if there is something that excels at both I would consider getting rid of both bikes but that is not a requirement. I'm perfectly happy with my gravel bike and don't want to make any compromises on road handling just for the sake of getting rid of it.

Budget is probably in the $4-$6k range.

Currently considering getting a Specialized Aethos (non S-Works) frameset and building it up with my LBS. I would definitely consider another TCR although I've read that the new ones are stiff almost to the point of being too harsh.

Open to any and all suggestions - whatcha got?
Quote Reply
Re: All-around Road Bike Recommendations [Dgconner154] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A custom Stelbel Rodano disc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So many good options out there I think it’s hard to go wrong with anything in that range.

If I was on your position I would have the Cervelo Caledonia on your short list. I’m a fan new Trek Emonda and the Tarmac SL7 both look nice as well. Obviously they are a bit racier than the Caledonia or Aethos.

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree it'd be hard to go really wrong in that range... find something you love the look of and fits. I like the idea of electronic shifting (and have heard it's terrific), but have seen enough horror stories of teammates' Di2 batteries a) getting left behind, b) forgetting to charge them, c) malfunctioning somehow, d) getting confiscated from their bike bags by enthusiastic TSA agents - yes, it's their fault they didn't put them in their carry-on... but stuff happens. I've had my share of minor mechanical issues, but at least I've never been stuck on one chainring or entirely unable to shift.
Quote Reply
Re: All-around Road Bike Recommendations [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chemist wrote:
If I was on your position I would have the Cervelo Caledonia on your short list.
I've read Dan's review and it's an interesting bike, but I'm not convinced that it's right for me. It can't really replace my gravel bike and seems like it would be a bit of a sacrifice as a fast road bike. Maybe I'm wrong. My LBS is a Cervelo dealer so maybe I'll be able to test ride one.
Chemist wrote:
I’m a fan new Trek Emonda and the Tarmac SL7 both look nice as well. Obviously they are a bit racier than the Caledonia or Aethos.
I like the Tarmac and the Emonda looks sweet too, although I've never ridden a Trek road bike. Seems like the Aethos bridges the gap between racy and comfortable, but that could just be Specialized marketing hype.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dgconner154 wrote:
Chemist wrote:
If I was on your position I would have the Cervelo Caledonia on your short list.
I've read Dan's review and it's an interesting bike, but I'm not convinced that it's right for me. It can't really replace my gravel bike and seems like it would be a bit of a sacrifice as a fast road bike. Maybe I'm wrong. My LBS is a Cervelo dealer so maybe I'll be able to test ride one.
Chemist wrote:
I’m a fan new Trek Emonda and the Tarmac SL7 both look nice as well. Obviously they are a bit racier than the Caledonia or Aethos.
I like the Tarmac and the Emonda looks sweet too, although I've never ridden a Trek road bike. Seems like the Aethos bridges the gap between racy and comfortable, but that could just be Specialized marketing hype.

The only bike I would consider racy and comfortable would be a Madone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've just noticed on Pros' Closet (which I've never used nor have any connection to) that they have like-new 3T Strada - 1X and 2X at pretty good prices. The 2X with Red AXS is $5200. That's a solid deal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been VERY happy with the last several Cannondale road bikes I've had. In your price range with proper sizing, the EVO models would be spectacular.

Ray
Quote Reply
Re: All-around Road Bike Recommendations [wintershade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any mass produced endurance road bike that fits you will be fine.

Get something truly one of a kind. If you go custom it will be build and tuned to your weight, handling preferences, style of riding making threads like this unnecessary.

Stelbel are only about $3K for a frameset. So as long as you don’t go too spec on components, I think you’d be out the door for $6K. It’s a 6-9 month wait though. Steel is real.

My S Works Venge is probably my favorite bike for going fast, but for what you describe I’d go custom steel all day.
Quote Reply
Re: All-around Road Bike Recommendations [wintershade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you really in a position to give advice about an 'all round' bike??
Don't you have a bike for every increment of weather/terrain/purpose... ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: All-around Road Bike Recommendations [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lol, so true. I’m really the last person who should be commenting here.

(Edit to add, but for what it’s worth, if I could only have one road bike, it would probably be the Stelbel Rodance Disc. It does everything well enough).
Last edited by: wintershade: Dec 16, 20 13:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For ultimate versatility, Ritchey Break-Away Carbon Outback.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dgconner154 wrote:
I would definitely consider another TCR although I've read that the new ones are stiff almost to the point of being too harsh.

Open to any and all suggestions - whatcha got?

Nothing a 32 tire couldn't fix. Wider is better nowadays.
Quote Reply