Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: No wimmin's allowed. Quick poll. Do it now. [Kempenaer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually that's similar run time, but would chop off my legs to get that swim time! Which is probably the answer to stopping them sinking...

I'd imagine that having a Next% on each limb is what's giving you the run speed back?
Quote Reply
Re: No wimmin's allowed. Quick poll. Do it now. [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, easily and palm on the floor with a bit of effort, but I'm not sure how hamstring flexibility translates into increased athletic performance.
Last edited by: joj4444: Dec 16, 20 3:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, but only just barely.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think my success in this poll has anything to do with my flexibility and more to do with stubby legs/ longer arms (which helps explain why I'm a better swimmer than runner). I'm horribly inflexible.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: No wimmin's allowed. Quick poll. Do it now. [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm wondering if another test could be used as an indicator of adequate flexibility for optimal s/b/r performance:

Can you put your heels on the flow in downward facing dog? Even if spine and knees are bended?
Quote Reply
Re: No wimmin's allowed. Quick poll. Do it now. [ask77nl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm no dancer, but I 'sure nuff can get my heels in the flow ~ on a good day my hips too.

No to a "proper" downdog though.

This dates back to about 1974.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Barely
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hydrosloth wrote:
With all the hamstring-related stuff we saw at Daytona, it made me think of this question.

Can you touch your toes?

Not only can I touch my toes, but when I do the box stretch test the tips of my fingers go aa much as 14 inches past the end of my feet.

All growing up I thought that is was pretty common for runners to be that flexible and even had coaches talk of the likes of Africans Marathonist who could wrap their feet over their head, etc. and who would work on stretching as a form of speed work saying that every inch that I increase my stride would take 8 seconds per mile of my run times.

When I got to college and was running with a Division 1 track and Cross Country Program I was surprised to find two girls on the varsity team with full ride scholarships who struggled to touch their toes. I would take my pointer finger and touch my big toe without even having to bend my back and without the hamstrings even stretching. They would tell me to stop mocking them. I never made the varsity team so I guess flexibility doesn't have anything to do with being a good runner. :-) So...even as a pretty flexible guy I get tons of cramps. For me it has nothing to do with flexibility. I get cramps when I am doing a lot of speed work and when it is hot and humid. I drink like a fish when it is hot and humid, but if I am doing a lot of speed work I still get the cramps so I feel that intensity is the biggest factor in muscle cramps for me. I am normally doing long slow miles and so when I crank things up to a sprint the muscles are not used to it and tend to knot up.
Quote Reply
Re: No wimmin's allowed. Quick poll. Do it now. [curtish26] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
curtish26 wrote:
Hydrosloth wrote:
With all the hamstring-related stuff we saw at Daytona, it made me think of this question.

Can you touch your toes?
I never made the varsity team so I guess flexibility doesn't have anything to do with being a good runner. :-)

There's a theory, with some evidence, that flexibility is bad for distance running speed. The spring reflex and all that. I remember toward the end of her career, Paula Radcliff was trying to get less flexible to improve her running. Kipchoge is famously inflexible.

https://www.sweatelite.co/...e-5-things-suprised/

Last edited by: HardlyTrying: Dec 17, 20 15:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty easily. But I always keep myself pretty loose to accommodate more aggressive bike positions.

Professional Athlete: http://jordancheyne.wordpress.com/ http://www.strava.com/athletes/145340

Coaching Services:http://www.peakformcoaching.com/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Proud to say at 52, there are some days I can almost put my hands flat on the ground too. Problem is, my wrists aren't flexible enough.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, can get the palms flat on the ground too.

Funny, recently I was reading an article basically blasting people as to why they should not "slam their stem" on their road bikes.

Having an appropriate time trial fit that I am comfortable in, I am very comfortable with a low front end, and as such, have eventually slammed the front end of my road bike along with a -17 degree stem to make the stem horizontal. I get a hard time from a few people wondering how I can ride like that, and the local bike shop owner usually pipes up that I'm a time trial guy and used to being folded in half lol.

Anyways, the article said "Go, stand up, and try to bend over, try to touch your palms to the ground. Can't do it? What if I offered you $100? Still can't do it? Then you have NO business slamming your stem"

Or something along those lines.

Well, I stood up, bent over, and palms to ground.

I sat back down, peered over at my bike, smiled, and closed the tab :p
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hydrosloth wrote:
Eroc43 wrote:
The fact that I can, and Ben can not, proves this is a worthless skill.
I would rather have half his speed and be less flexible....

Eroc: I sed, no wimmin's.

Sorry, I missed where you explain why you're excluding our female friends?

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: No wimmin's allowed. Quick poll. Do it now. [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Portion of an exchange between me & my couch, years and years ago

C: How's the hamstring?
R: Yeah, I think I figured that out! It's from the way I was stretching while hanging laundry on the line. I made some adjustments, and it's fine
C: You got a step-ladder?

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: No wimmin's allowed. Quick poll. Do it now. [dfquigley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Dustin! You are quite likely correct about the slam on the road bikes, but as for as tri-position goes, it could be a bit more complicated. I am about 4 inches away from the floor, yet ride all my tri-bikes in a fairly aggressive position. Did the IMC course back last May on a P3-SL, 1 - spacer, no issues.

There are mutants... everywhere.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh I totally agree, I find it easier to get into an appropriate time trial position on my tri bike than an aggressive road position, and power output is easier on my tri bike compared to when I am SUPER aggressive on the road bike, since the tri bike allows for a more forward open hip as well.

The comparison was just more saying that I really like and prefer the low position due to my time trialist nature, but the flexibility allows for the super aggressive road position specifically.

:)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hydrosloth wrote:

Can you touch your toes?

Not unless I sit down and bend my knees to 90 degrees.

Could be my lack of flexibility.
Tho I like to think It's my more highly evolved stature and so do not have knuckle-dragger proportioned arms 😎
Quote Reply
Re: No wimmin's allowed. Quick poll. Do it now. [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BobAjobb wrote:
Hydrosloth wrote:

Can you touch your toes?

Not unless I sit down and bend my knees to 90 degrees.

Could be my lack of flexibility.
Tho I like to think It's my more highly evolved stature and so do not have knuckle-dragger proportioned arms 😎

Wait, which one of these is higher on the evolutionary ladder... ?

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Last edited by: Warbird: Dec 18, 20 15:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
middle of shin is the best I've been able to do, for the last fifty years or so..
Quote Reply

Prev Next