Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

best non latex tubes
Quote | Reply
calling all wattage gurus. So new to me but maybe a issue, you shouldn't use latex tubes with carbon clinchers because of heat build up on the brake tract. I have 3 sets of carbon wheels but i can handle just having one set for mountain trips with descents. My question is which non-latex tube will save me the most amount watts with the fear of heat issues ?.........thanks for any and all advice
Quote Reply
Re: best non latex tubes [bikeman12-1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bikeman12-1 wrote:
calling all wattage gurus. So new to me but maybe a issue, you shouldn't use latex tubes with carbon clinchers because of heat build up on the brake tract. I have 3 sets of carbon wheels but i can handle just having one set for mountain trips with descents. My question is which non-latex tube will save me the most amount watts with the fear of heat issues ?.........thanks for any and all advice

https://www.aero-coach.co.uk/...e-rolling-resistance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use latex tubes on my carbon clinchers every day.
Quote Reply
Re: best non latex tubes [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Same. I train exclusively on carbon clinchers and latex tubes. Not even the slightest hint of an issue. My spare is butyl just so there's slightly less chance I pinch it during install on the side of the road, but other than that it isn't worth a 2nd thought.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: best non latex tubes [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
awesome, thank you
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
i've used some in a set of zipp 202s for years and never had a issue but i just acquired a set of 404 and i was told about the heat issue. i only go to the mountains 4-5 times a year so im not overly concerned but at the same time i dont want a blow out coming down
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe you should change to butyl rubber tubes when you know that you will be using your brakes on steep descents.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bikeman12-1 wrote:

What you are asking is not clear. The best butyl tubes for racing IMHO would be Conti Race Light tubes. Are there faster tubes, which you seem to be implying by "wattage gurus"? Yes but they don't meet a durability/reliability component in my eyes. An example would be Conti Supersonic. I would never recommend this tube no would I personally ride it. You fears of latex are overly irrational. Likely because companies do and say things for liability reasons.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you do want non latex tubes after reading all of the above post's. I'd suggest Panaracer. Made in Japan, thin, light, and very high quality.
Quote Reply
Re: best non latex tubes [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
bikeman12-1 wrote:

What you are asking is not clear. The best butyl tubes for racing IMHO would be Conti Race Light tubes. Are there faster tubes, which you seem to be implying by "wattage gurus"? Yes but they don't meet a durability/reliability component in my eyes. An example would be Conti Supersonic. I would never recommend this tube no would I personally ride it. You fears of latex are overly irrational. Likely because companies do and say things for liability reasons.
I agree with you about a balance of reliability and efficiency also being relevant within the category of butyl tubes, but I don't think the poster is being irrational in avoiding latex for specifically brake heavy routes. I've done the same myself in the past. I have zero hesitation using latex for the vast majority of my riding and I've never had anything else on my tri bike. However, if I'm heading for the alps and doing long sometimes winding descents, like Col Du Glandon or Galibier, or descents that require a lot of heavy braking on hairpins like Alpe D'Huez, I'd rather have tubes that are much less susceptible to fail due to heat, i.e. butyl tubes.
Yes, you are unlikely to have an issue if you are careful with your rim tape, and if you are a light rider, and if you avoid dragging your brakes on descents. I'm a fairly heavy rider (~84kg), I don't want to worry about my rim tape, and while I descent fairly fast and don't think I drag the brakes much, I don't want to take any unnecessary chances, even pretty small ones.
Quote Reply
Re: best non latex tubes [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you nailed what I was trying to get at...I spend 99.9% of my time riding hills and flat group rides but occasionally I do enjoy a trip to the mountains. Some of the descents can last over 20 mins...that’s where the fear of latex was involved....thank you all for your advice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bikeman12-1 wrote:
I think you nailed what I was trying to get at...I spend 99.9% of my time riding hills and flat group rides but occasionally I do enjoy a trip to the mountains. Some of the descents can last over 20 mins...that’s where the fear of latex was involved....thank you all for your advice
I do a fair amount in the mountains but these are mostly pretty small local terrain with climbs and decents rarely exceeding about 300m gain/loss and 5-12% gradients with few tricky bends (think EPIC KOM climb in Zwift). Some descents may take 5-10mins but since it's not too technical and speeds are high, I can limit speed to 70-80km/h just by sitting up a little if I choose. The brakes aren't used much except to scrub a little speed before a bend. I've done these rides on latex on occasion without particular concern. However when I did the Marmotte Des Alpes a few years ago, I decided to switch to butyl for peace of mind. I was glad I'd done so on the Glandon descent where high speeds, plenty fast bends and a lot of other cyclist traffic meant the brakes got a decent amount of use over a fairly extended period of time. i continue to use butyl when I'm doing big or technical descents and especially if every watt is not crucial.
Quote Reply
Re: best non latex tubes [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://www.strava.com/segments/4661416
this segment is my biggest concern....for the more seasoned roadie they may say its short enough not to worry but it has a fair about of speed "for me anyways"....40mph with some hard braking. If you guys dont think its enough to worry over i would love to run latex all the time....thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like continental race light tubes.

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bikeman12-1 wrote:
this segment is my biggest concern....for the more seasoned roadie they may say its short enough not to worry but it has a fair about of speed "for me anyways"....40mph with some hard braking. If you guys dont think its enough to worry over i would love to run latex all the time....thanks
Despite being pretty steep, that segment shouldn't actually require too much braking as it's fairly straight. It's switchbacks and super windy descents that are going to require serious braking. In Albuquerque, the longest descent we had was this one: Sandia Crest Descent. Note the switchbacks on the top half of that, which is also the steeper section. At ~170lbs, I've descended that on my tri bike and road bike, both with rim brakes, carbon clinchers, and latex tubes, with zero issues. You'll be fine on that segment with latex.

Quote Reply
Re: best non latex tubes [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
bikeman12-1 wrote:

Despite being pretty steep, that segment shouldn't actually require too much braking as it's fairly straight. It's switchbacks and super windy descents that are going to require serious braking. In Albuquerque, the longest descent we had was this one: Sandia Crest Descent. Note the switchbacks on the top half of that, which is also the steeper section. At ~170lbs, I've descended that on my tri bike and road bike, both with rim brakes, carbon clinchers, and latex tubes, with zero issues. You'll be fine on that segment with latex.
wow, that is way more intense than mine
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bikeman12-1 wrote:
realbdeal wrote:
bikeman12-1 wrote:

wow, that is way more intense than mine
Its kind of just different. Certainly a bit nasty depending on the weather, but it doesn't get as steep as yours, which is a whole other type of descending!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:

Surprised that you don't know that not all carbon clinchers are equal when it comes to heat-dissipation upon braking?

Plus some riders out there just can't let go off the brakes for even a short time (see, actually smell it quite often).

Count me in on the Continental Race Lights.
Last edited by: windschatten: Dec 16, 20 16:49
Quote Reply
Re: best non latex tubes [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OP said that they sometimes ride steep descents.

Wouldn't it be smart to use latex tubes most of the time and then switch to butyl rubber tubes when riding the steep stuff?
Quote Reply
Re: best non latex tubes [MrB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrB wrote:
If you do want non latex tubes after reading all of the above post's. I'd suggest Panaracer. Made in Japan, thin, light, and very high quality.

Interesting. The panaracer website says their tube has twice the elasticity of standard butyl. Is there any RR data on that tube?

Edit: Nvm, BRR tested is as equal to Conti 28 Light. Do you find it supple like latex?
Last edited by: BigBoyND: Dec 17, 20 0:32
Quote Reply
Re: best non latex tubes [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you look at Schwalbe Aerothan? They are almost as fast as latex but heat resistant and are claimed to be puncture resistant as well. Look at the link to the AeroCoach website in one of the earlier replies where you can see how they performed in tests.
Quote Reply
Re: best non latex tubes [RichardA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I plan to order some for my spare kits and maybe replace my latex tires with them as I get punctures. I'll pay the 1.5W for the pair so I can pump my tires every other ride instead of every single one.
Quote Reply