Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cartilage Defect in Knee
Quote | Reply
Hello,

Has anyone ever dealt with Chondral Defects in their knees? I was recently diagnosed with a full-thickness defect as a result of an accident. My Dr. is suggesting a Maci Procedure as a better alternative to transplant or micro-fracturing. Looking to get anyone’s first hand experiences with this.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Cartilage Defect in Knee [djordan76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had an autograft cartilage repair in January. I am pretty sure (with a few glances at google) that it is similar to the MACI repair, except my surgeon did not go in twice. I had my harvested cartilage mixed with stem cells and implanted. I feel like I have been recovering "blindly" as there is very little information out there about return to sport. Recovery has been long, and still in progress, but it is doable. I was able to start swimming 10 weeks post surgery (however, I got to swim for a week and then pools closed). I was on crutches for about that long too. I started biking (very easy) about 12 weeks post surgery. I think my first bike ride was 10 minutes and maybe 50 watts, and it took about a month to be able to unclip my shoe. However, swimming and biking have come along well. I am probably the same swimming (mostly due to closures/access) and am definitely stronger on the bike now. I started running at 6 mo post, and that has been the slowest to come back. I had to start at :30 on/ 1 min walk. Currently running about 3 days a week; if I do harder intervals, I walk recoveries. Otherwise, for now my longest run is 5-6 miles. I have also incorporated some functional strength training and band work to make sure I keep my lower body strong. I still have days that I swell a bit and my knee definitely gets cranky, but overall, I am making progress. Hoping to race for 70.3 Worlds next year. Happy to answer any questions you may have - like I said earlier, there is not a lot out there for return to sport, so I happy to share my experiences. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Cartilage Defect in Knee [Lauracasto0612] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for the response, I have been having a hard time finding anyone who has dealt with a similar issue. There is so little in regards to return to sport. Everything I am reading is about a year to get back to full training, and its encouraging to hear you are running a few times a week. I also have aspirations of making Kona and 70.3 worlds in the future, so I am trying to return to some level of 'hard' training. About a year out from your procedure, how would you rate your knee to 'normal'?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would say 7-8 out of 10. This is sort of a hard question to answer because I am not sure what has turned normal for me during this year (if that makes sense). I have noticed that every time I take a step up in training, my knee gets cranky for a few days (yes, I panic every time). I took an FTP test and had a nice jump in watts and then needed ice, advil and compression boots for days after (ha). Those first steps out of bed are still tough, but that goes away quickly. I've also noticed the cold can affect it a bit. I have over-analyzed everything, so I apologize if I am giving too many details. I usually don't feel it on the bike (only occasionally if my form gets sloppy). I can usually feel it at the beginning of a run, but it feels pretty normal within the first mile. I am probably running 1/3rd of what I was running prior to surgery, so around 2 hours per week. Hoping to increase this in the next few months. Running is not exactly my forte - I'd race a half ironman around 8:20 pace. Right now, it's a small victory to hit race pace for intervals that are 5-8min and I do walk recoveries still. I'd say my comfortable, everyday running pace is about :30- :45 sec/mile slower than before surgery. I am trying not to hurry the running, my next race isn't until June (hopefully). My surgeon encouraged the swim and bike as much as you want, but limit the running approach. My coach does a great job supporting this too - especially in the winter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jeesh, if this was available for my first knee surgery (left), I would have pursued it. Since it wasn't, my doc drilled holes to promote growth. This may have helped a bit for me. My last knee surgery (right) three years ago, didn't need something like this. Either way, age (52) and 40 years of running have really had a negative impact on my knees (and hips). I may be done.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi, Not quite what your asking for but just to inform you about microfracture. I had microfracture on my left knee back in 2008. It really didn't work too well, no real scar tissue build up after the surgery on the top of the tibia, but I was able to get back to some running maybe up to 8 or 9 miles at a go but nothing like I used to.

It was okay for a good few years, kept it going with the Synvisc injections as well which did seem to help. But the past year or so the knee has gotten very sore and stiff after bike rides and walking, stopped running a couple of years ago. I saw a different orthopedic doc after my last recent MRI which showed a lot of issues he said unfortunately Micro Fracture does cause cartilage deterioration over time but it I guess the surgery served it's purpose when I had it done for a number of years, but I guess none of the fixes last forever especially when we are so active. Best of luck with your alternative procedure you mentioned, I hope it works for you. Cheers LA Rob
Quote Reply
Re: Cartilage Defect in Knee [hercules] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you, this is helpful. Microfracture and transplant were presented as options, but secondary to the Maci Procedure. I have not heard very good things about either microfracture or transplant. There is just so little information about any of it. I am 28 and trying to avoid a lifetime of knee issue. Really just looking for any feedback and thoughts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you wind up doing the surgery?
Quote Reply