Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Dear Speedplay: No quiero ser zapatero [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
see my post above about the little part that speedplay sells that will fill in that gap between the sole and the cleat...

My LBS can order them for me. I have not seen how to order them from the speedplay website!

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Dear Speedplay: No quiero ser zapatero [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
see my post above about the little part that speedplay sells that will fill in that gap between the sole and the cleat...

My LBS can order them for me. I have not seen how to order them from the speedplay website!

You can't, and as far as I can tell, Wahoo has greatly reduced the number of sku that speedplay makes. I believe the aero adapter was on the chopping block. Only available if you buy a new pair of aero pedals...which are becoming increasingly hard to find.
Quote Reply
Re: Dear Speedplay: No quiero ser zapatero [jharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jharris wrote:
Not to mention they no longer make the X2

Grrrrrr

Wait...for realz? I haven't bought a new set in so long that I'm out of the loop on this.
Quote Reply
Re: Dear Speedplay: No quiero ser zapatero [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
it's all pretty easy. i go thru it here, in text, in pics, with a video. when you identify the value in the most important features of this pedal, it's a pretty compelling system.

Now that is quite helpful, thank you much.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Dear Speedplay: No quiero ser zapatero [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
it's all pretty easy. i go thru it here, in text, in pics, with a video. when you identify the value in the most important features of this pedal, it's a pretty compelling system.

If you were responding to me, then yes, I'm well aware of your article. And believe me, I tried the recommended combination of shims for my shoe, then every possible combo of shims (5F + 6R, vice versa), and I still couldn't get the base plate flat. Or rather, the base plate would not stay flat because, apparently, my shoes are relatively small and this was a known problem with the Zeroes. It may not have happened to everyone, but it's a known thing. Barnes said so. I talked to one mechanic and one bike fitter who both confirmed.

And despite being pretty short and narrow hips, I was able to get my preferred lateral cleat position on SPD-SL cleats, so I'll stick with those unless maybe Wahoo manages to redesign its pedals to work reliably with people with size 40 shoes and under. I know that's maybe not very many men, so maybe they didn't care, but it's a good number of women.

I agree that a lot of the usually stated disadvantages of Speedplay pedals are hogwash. The need for more frequent maintenance is not one of them. In my case, I simply could not get the pedals to stop creaking with their supplied shims. I could have tried out the aluminum extender plate instead, and it did look flatter, but it also blocked me from using the aero surround kit, or perhaps I could have dropped $400-550 on a pair of 4-bolt shoes that may or may not have fit my feet. Plus my pair of plug and play DA pedals had come in, so what, exactly, was the point of continuing to wrestle with my pedals?
Quote Reply
Re: Dear Speedplay: No quiero ser zapatero [weiwentg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
weiwentg wrote:
Slowman wrote:

If you were responding to me, then yes, I'm well aware of your article. And believe me, I tried the recommended combination of shims for my shoe, then every possible combo of shims (5F + 6R, vice versa), and I still couldn't get the base plate flat. Or rather, the base plate would not stay flat because, apparently, my shoes are relatively small and this was a known problem with the Zeroes. It may not have happened to everyone, but it's a known thing. Barnes said so. I talked to one mechanic and one bike fitter who both confirmed.

And despite being pretty short and narrow hips, I was able to get my preferred lateral cleat position on SPD-SL cleats, so I'll stick with those unless maybe Wahoo manages to redesign its pedals to work reliably with people with size 40 shoes and under. I know that's maybe not very many men, so maybe they didn't care, but it's a good number of women.

I agree that a lot of the usually stated disadvantages of Speedplay pedals are hogwash. The need for more frequent maintenance is not one of them. In my case, I simply could not get the pedals to stop creaking with their supplied shims. I could have tried out the aluminum extender plate instead, and it did look flatter, but it also blocked me from using the aero surround kit, or perhaps I could have dropped $400-550 on a pair of 4-bolt shoes that may or may not have fit my feet. Plus my pair of plug and play DA pedals had come in, so what, exactly, was the point of continuing to wrestle with my pedals?

i was responding to thestrobro. shimano makes excellent pedals. i'm a shimano user for gravel and offroad, and i also like their road pedals a lot. so, i don't blame you for choosing shimano, especially considering your particular issues you've faced.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply

Prev Next