Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Stats for Sub 11, 50+ Age Groupers [Dan Funk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan Funk wrote:
TX83 wrote:
Is there a specific reason why the bike course is 4mi long??? Not sure I understand why they can't get it correct.

It's long on purpose. I believe to compensate for the down-river swim which can be insanely fast.

Interesting. That makes sense. I guess that's why IM Chattanooga had a long bike course as well since that swim is a down current swim. What's comical is that many participants were all getting 144.6 stickers. I had a friend bragging about how they beat another friends IM course time from a completely different IM event and even injected the "and I even had to bike 4 miles longer". ugh.

With that said, I don't agree with it and many courses like that don't have adjusted distances. I'd prefer to know that I am racing the prescribed distances. Each course has it's own unique characteristics and there shouldn't be a reason to change the actual distances to "adjust" for time.

Sorry for the side convo.....and now back to our regularly scheduled programming :)

Cheers, Ray
Quote Reply
Re: Stats for Sub 11, 50+ Age Groupers [TX83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't live in Chattanooga and therefore don't know the roads well, but the bike course is kinda like a lollipop with a shortish stick and two loops around the candy part, if that makes sense. And once you get out of town on the bike, it is very rural. Given all of this, I am not sure if it is even possible to shorten the two loops by two miles each (ie I don't know if the roads exist to cut off two miles per loop). So maybe the long bike course is simply a result of there being no other realistic options.

TX83 wrote:
Dan Funk wrote:
TX83 wrote:
Is there a specific reason why the bike course is 4mi long??? Not sure I understand why they can't get it correct.

It's long on purpose. I believe to compensate for the down-river swim which can be insanely fast.

Interesting. That makes sense. I guess that's why IM Chattanooga had a long bike course as well since that swim is a down current swim. What's comical is that many participants were all getting 144.6 stickers. I had a friend bragging about how they beat another friends IM course time from a completely different IM event and even injected the "and I even had to bike 4 miles longer". ugh.

With that said, I don't agree with it and many courses like that don't have adjusted distances. I'd prefer to know that I am racing the prescribed distances. Each course has it's own unique characteristics and there shouldn't be a reason to change the actual distances to "adjust" for time.

Sorry for the side convo.....and now back to our regularly scheduled programming :)
Quote Reply
Re: Stats for Sub 11, 50+ Age Groupers [JasonGeorge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasonGeorge wrote:
Hopefully some of the info about myself and my most recent IM race (Sept 2019 Chattanooga) will be of use to you.

I am currently 58 yrs, and when I raced IM Chattanooga, I was 57....sadly, no results from this year. Weight is a very steady 67kg (about 148lbs).

Bike: FTP is 251W
Run: On a solo marathon (ie not in a tri) I have run just under 3:00 on two occasions in the past five years. Last November, about 6 weeks after IM Chattanooga, I ran the NY Marathon in 3:02. Half marathon PB is 1:23:15
Swim: 1,000m in 17:00 (equates to a 1:42/100m pace...note that this test was done in a 50m pool); if I were just swimming a stand-alone 100m (in a 50m pool), I imagine that my time would be 1:35, plus or minus

IM Chattanooga results and comments
Swim: 57:59...the swim was downriver; no wetsuit (3rd fastest swim in my AG)
Bike: 5:32...the bike course was officially 186km (about 123miles); 183W; 1,126m (about 3,700 feet) of elevation gain: it was VERY hot on the day of the race, with the 3rd highest DNF rate in IM history (5th fastest bike in my AG)
Run: 4:07...I was very disappointed in my run; but again, it was brutally hot; 351m of elevation gain (about 1,150 feet); (2nd fastest run in AG)
Overall: 10:53 (2nd place in AG)

Good luck to you and let me know if I can be of any further help.

Am I reading this wrong our does this not say a 123 mile bike in 2019?
Quote Reply
Re: Stats for Sub 11, 50+ Age Groupers [Calvin386] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Calvin386 wrote:
Am I reading this wrong our does this not say a 123 mile bike in 2019?

Post 18 the OP of that statement corrected it to 4 miles over (so 116). It was a metric conversion thing. He states 186km long for the bike but somehow the translation ended up at 123 instead of 116.

Cheers, Ray
Last edited by: TX83: Dec 14, 20 8:33
Quote Reply
Re: Stats for Sub 11, 50+ Age Groupers [JasonGeorge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasonGeorge wrote:
I don't live in Chattanooga and therefore don't know the roads well, but the bike course is kinda like a lollipop with a shortish stick and two loops around the candy part, if that makes sense. And once you get out of town on the bike, it is very rural. Given all of this, I am not sure if it is even possible to shorten the two loops by two miles each (ie I don't know if the roads exist to cut off two miles per loop). So maybe the long bike course is simply a result of there being no other realistic options.
Ah, that makes sense. Same thing happened at IMNC70.3 last year. It was a long course and the organizers said there was no way to get 56 perfectly with the out and back lollipop design so they went over several miles (ended up being 58 miles).

Cheers, Ray
Last edited by: TX83: Dec 14, 20 8:36
Quote Reply
Re: Stats for Sub 11, 50+ Age Groupers [Gville] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
55 years of age now. Did a 9.47 in 2018 and 9.50 in 2019. Roughly 1.05 swim, 5.00 bike and 3.35 run plus transitions.

Don't know what my FTP is because I use HR in my cycle training and RPE in races. I have cycling pb's of 20.56 for 10 miles, 57.00 for 25 and 1.55 for 50 all done in last 3 years.

I hardly race stand alone running events but did 10k in 39.30 in 2018. Been in the sport 30+ years and there is virtually no difference in my standalone pace to that off the bike.

I'm decidedly average at swimming so 1.35-1.40 for 100m repeats on 2.00 minutes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
good luck in your quest to break 11. i have gone 10:12 and 10:20 at iMAZ. looking to step up an go sub 10 next year at IM California. we'll see. i'm currently 52. about a 1:10+ or so IM swimmer but really focusing on that this fall/winter. have run 3:42 and 3:53 at IMAZ. paced this past year a bit too fast trying to get into the top 5-7 in AG and ended up running low to mid 9' splits the last 6 miles. best bike was 5:04 this past year and FTP is 270 ish. have run an 18:51 and 40:04 5/10k and a 3:15 marathon to BQ in 2019. i didn't start endurance sports until i was 43, so never too late.
Quote Reply
Re: Stats for Sub 11, 50+ Age Groupers [Velocibuddha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Velocibuddha wrote:
Gville wrote:
Whoever wouldn't mind indulging me, if you're over 50 and race sub 11:00 IMs, what are your cycling W/kg, lactic threshold running pace and 100m pool splits? Thanks!

I am turning 50 next year and hoping for a Kona podium.

1) 4.4 W/kg

2) 6:15 minute/miles (or 3.55 minute/k) - that is the pace I do 10k tempo runs at in training.

3) 100m free- 60 (I was once a competitive swimmer.

Hoping to go faster than 9:30 in Kona.

Cough, Cough. At 53 years old and a recent lumbar fusion that is healing amazingly well, this just makes me want to go back into forced retirement.

Wow. Just Wow. Inspiring if it were a different AG.

I used to be a 2:05ish Oly guy with 4:30ish HIM pace, but haven't raced since 2015. Good luck to OP and all others on here with your goals. As we all age up, it's nice to still be fit compared to the regular population.

Brian

"We don't inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children." --Chief Seattle
Quote Reply
Re: Stats for Sub 11, 50+ Age Groupers [Joss1965] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Joss1965 wrote:
55 years of age now. Did a 9.47 in 2018 and 9.50 in 2019. Roughly 1.05 swim, 5.00 bike and 3.35 run plus transitions.

Don't know what my FTP is because I use HR in my cycle training and RPE in races. I have cycling pb's of 20.56 for 10 miles, 57.00 for 25 and 1.55 for 50 all done in last 3 years.

I hardly race stand alone running events but did 10k in 39.30 in 2018. Been in the sport 30+ years and there is virtually no difference in my standalone pace to that off the bike.

I'm decidedly average at swimming so 1.35-1.40 for 100m repeats on 2.00 minutes.

Very impressive, thanks for the inspiration (from a fellow 1965 to another). As for the standalone run times and off the bike, when we were 25, my times off the Olympic distance bike were something like 90 seconds slower than fresh. I bet if I do it right now, it won't even by 90 seconds, it will be identical but this is because I have some mechanical limitations running. Cardio is not my limitation!!!! I am looking forward to 2021 where I hope to do several Olympic tris and get my legs working under my cardio.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gville wrote:
Thanks gents, I'm in the ballpark. But my swim is not even close to you guys. I've gone 11:21 and 11:31 at IMFL and 11:23 at IMLP. Trying to go sub 11 at IMFL next year.

Placid must be 30 min slower than flat and fast Florida. (*at least 24 min...). đŸ˜‰
Quote Reply
Re: Stats for Sub 11, 50+ Age Groupers [Dan Funk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan Funk wrote:
TX83 wrote:

I believe it is long because to make it 112 would either have to cut off a church on Sunday morning which was a problem or they could throw in a Lookout Mountain climb, which would dissuade many are groupers from participating.

Interesting, my opinion is that it over-compensates for the faster swim.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
60 now, but did my last sub-11 at 56, and think that on the right day I still have one in me. Geeze some of these folks are unreal. Swim - my 100 times are SLOW in a pool b/c I am adult onset and don't flip, however I am frequent first out of the water for my age group at all distances and first out at my last 3 non-WC IM events. Bike - FTP 230ish at 76 kilo - this seems low compared to some of the other responses but I usually have one of the fastest age group bike splits. Run is and always has been my weak link . . . maybe LT of 7.45.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Stats for Sub 11, 50+ Age Groupers [dtoce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dtoce wrote:
Gville wrote:
Thanks gents, I'm in the ballpark. But my swim is not even close to you guys. I've gone 11:21 and 11:31 at IMFL and 11:23 at IMLP. Trying to go sub 11 at IMFL next year.

Placid must be 30 min slower than flat and fast Florida. (*at least 24 min...). đŸ˜‰

Actually one of my very close friends who has KQ'd at both Florida and Placid 3-5x times (raced both that many times and Kona qual'd almost every time) seems to be 20-25 minutes apart between the races. He is a strong biker and runner and generally the Floriday bike was 30 min faster for him, but the Florida run was 5-10 min slower. He attributes it to zero breaks during the Florida bike and Florida run. LP you have coasting breaks downhill on the bike and heart rate breaks downhill on the run. In both cases with the heart rate dropping there is a better chance to digest and recharge too and the muscles get mixed around. In that context my previous times in LP and Kona were 2-5 minutes apart. LP hills made up for Kona heat and wind, and Kona there are coasting breaks too in both sports (assuming your heart rate can settle in the heat and use that at a microbreak to help digestion and recovery). I tthink as we get older those micro breaks are even more important since our organs also get less efficient than young people (its why old guys can't do day over day over day hard training and we can't do the volume of intensity inside a single workout)
Quote Reply
Re: Stats for Sub 11, 50+ Age Groupers [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
dtoce wrote:
Gville wrote:

Actually one of my very close friends who has KQ'd at both Florida and Placid 3-5x times (raced both that many times and Kona qual'd almost every time) seems to be 20-25 minutes apart between the races. He is a strong biker and runner and generally the Floriday bike was 30 min faster for him, but the Florida run was 5-10 min slower. He attributes it to zero breaks during the Florida bike and Florida run. LP you have coasting breaks downhill on the bike and heart rate breaks downhill on the run. In both cases with the heart rate dropping there is a better chance to digest and recharge too and the muscles get mixed around. In that context my previous times in LP and Kona were 2-5 minutes apart. LP hills made up for Kona heat and wind, and Kona there are coasting breaks too in both sports (assuming your heart rate can settle in the heat and use that at a microbreak to help digestion and recovery). I tthink as we get older those micro breaks are even more important since our organs also get less efficient than young people (its why old guys can't do day over day over day hard training and we can't do the volume of intensity inside a single workout)

You maybe right but if that's the case I'm an outlier. I do better when I can run better after a flat ride (riding tempo) with a low VI. On hilly courses my run is worse even with the coasting. Hot races just suck and I train in the heat a lot since I live in the south. The older you get its almost impossible to keep your HR down in the heat.
Quote Reply
Re: Stats for Sub 11, 50+ Age Groupers [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
‘Mechanical limitation’......that’s a good way of putting it.
Running is the area that is the most challenging to manage as we age. Gone are the intense run sessions, big miles, even consecutive days of running are a thing of the past. It does mean we can hammer the bike though!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wild to me that you’re swimming 1:05 with repeats of 1:35-1:40 on 2:00. Where was the race and how hard were you going?

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Joss1965 wrote:
‘Mechanical limitation’......that’s a good way of putting it.
Running is the area that is the most challenging to manage as we age. Gone are the intense run sessions, big miles, even consecutive days of running are a thing of the past. It does mean we can hammer the bike though!

I THINK i am now able to run a decent amount in spite of mechanical limitations is because I am running at such a low percentage of my aerobic capacity (relative to how hard I can swim and also bike). When I was younger, I was always beaten up from running. I remember training for marathons where all miles were at 4min per km or below after warmup, and training for those marathons, I would be cripple most of the time (but still stupidly went out semi hard every run). Now with all my runs usually between 5:30 and 6:30 per km range, it allows to go back again and again, but with no speed/intensity (because I can't even apply enough push off force to run fast).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cycling FTP about 320 W (4w/kg), threshold run pace roughly 6:40min/mi, best 100m swim split is 1:17 for 100m...went 56:50 at IMLP a couple years ago for a 10:16:xx total time (5:35ish bike, 3:36:xx run)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
starting my last ironman i had about these numbers ( at 73 kg)

Bike: about 4.1 wts per kilo - I am an ex-bike only guy (slower now than i used to be.)

Run: i am getting slower. After 50 i cut the amount of speed work i do because thats when i get injured. I would probably be about 39 min for a 10km but i rarely run fast anymore - in a half iron i try for 1:35 (doesn't always work) and in an ironman i try to survive!

Swim: Adult onset swimmer here - took up swimming when my wife told me no more bike racing... an all out 100m short course is about 1:33 but i cant do many of those. Realistically i swim 1:45's - ironman swims have between 1 hr 10- 1 hr 20 - i have struggles to swim straight. My open water times are terrible compared to my pool times.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am 57, 160/72.5kg, IM W/kg is about 2.7, 100m repeats 1:24 ~ Swim 1hour typically, Run sub 3:24 or faster as needed.

Thresholds are very individual as much as HR and nutritional needs. The latter two are crucial for IM racing - it is really about speed over distance with fueling. Each person is their own biology experiment in this regard.

Will also add that being injury free is key, regular massages during key build weeks, always do progressive runs, always run 4-6 miles after every bike, bike 30-40 miles before Sunday Long Run. Dont do speed workouts because I do progressive runs and they are too painful and cause injuries - for me anyway.

I am in my best race fitness when my swim fitness is at its highest. I think the hypoxic nature of swimming helps overall aerobic threshold. Learn how to use training peaks ATP feature and manage your own weekly volume.
Last edited by: scca_ita: Dec 14, 20 22:16
Quote Reply
Re: Stats for Sub 11, 50+ Age Groupers [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The 2019 race was Challenge Roth. The swim split was about 1.03. It’s an ‘easy’ swim, very easy to navigate and no chop/swell etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Stats for Sub 11, 50+ Age Groupers [dtoce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dtoce wrote:
Gville wrote:

I'm thinking so too, which makes me think I might be able to go sub 11:00 at Florida if I train correctly. I just had my swim stroke filmed this morning though, and I need a LOT of work on that. I had a ton of side-to-side motion - I looked like a water snake!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gville wrote:
dtoce wrote:
Gville wrote:

I'm thinking so too, which makes me think I might be able to go sub 11:00 at Florida if I train correctly. I just had my swim stroke filmed this morning though, and I need a LOT of work on that. I had a ton of side-to-side motion - I looked like a water snake!

There's a good way to solve a lot of that side-side-motion. Do some ankle banded swimming. It'll force you to keep alignment in your pull correct, as you can no longer compensate by doing that fishtail kick. It may feel impossible at first, but hang in there and it'll happen. It's the best drill bar none for removing extra unnecessary motion from your stroke.
Quote Reply
Re: Stats for Sub 11, 50+ Age Groupers [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
Gville wrote:
dtoce wrote:
Gville wrote:

There's a good way to solve a lot of that side-side-motion. Do some ankle banded swimming. It'll force you to keep alignment in your pull correct, as you can no longer compensate by doing that fishtail kick. It may feel impossible at first, but hang in there and it'll happen. It's the best drill bar none for removing extra unnecessary motion from your stroke.

I will definitely try that. Fortunately I have enough time right now to work on technique and get some of these kinks worked out before I start race-specific training. Thanks for the tip!
Quote Reply

Prev Next