Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Moving to Portugal, the Algarve region
Quote | Reply
Hi fellow Slowtwitchers,

Soon, my wife and I will be move to the Algarve region in Portugal. I was wondering if some of you live in the Algarve and know of any local triathlon "rich" communities.
I'm aware of a couple of places with swimming pools but I don't know anything about good biking friendly areas.

Any advice and/or experience you could share would be very helpful.

Thank you,
Boki
Quote Reply
Re: Moving to Portugal, the Algarve region [boki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi, Portuguese here. Try to reach out to “Louletano”, I think it’s the biggest tri club over the region

https://facebook.com/LCTriatlo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ask for David Caldeirao in Algarve. Everyone knows him (OK I'm overestimating).
He is one of the most enthusiastic triathlon figure.
Pm me and I can send contact.
He belongs to the louletano team the biggest in Algarve.
If you come to Lisbon then I will be your contact m;)

=====================================
S�rgio Marques
When it hurts is when it feels good ;-)
Sergio-Marques.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Vila real Santo Antonio/Monte gordo you can find a few people also and athletes doing training camps.
Quote Reply
Re: Moving to Portugal, the Algarve region [lsousa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you. I checked out the FB page.
Quote Reply
Re: Moving to Portugal, the Algarve region [sergio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PM sent.

Thank you!
Quote Reply
Re: Moving to Portugal, the Algarve region [Cescorcio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for the info.
In my research I found the indoor pool in Vila Real de Santo AntĂłnio. Definitely on the list of places to check out.

Boki
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
VRSA/Monto Gordo is really a great training place, you will love it!!!

coaching via trinergy.pl
TP Training Plans
IG @kowalski.coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd have a lot more respect for you if you moved to the northern border region (where my parents are from), the temps for the coming week are all highs in the mid 40s F (7 degrees) and raining everyday. That's some character building weather! lol
Quote Reply
Re: Moving to Portugal, the Algarve region [tomekbielany] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!
Adding it to our check out list.

We are planning to rent for 4 weeks initially to explore and try to find a one year more permanent location and we'll go from there.
Quote Reply
Re: Moving to Portugal, the Algarve region [347CX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, I lived in Serbia for a long time (born and raised) - cold winters/hot summers. I trained through all the extremes. Currently I live in Florida and my cold temperature "resistance" went down to zero. I admit, I am a wimp. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have spent a lot of time in Portugal for work near a town called Torres Vedras close to the Atlantic coast. I always liked visiting - not sure if I would want to live there. Would you mind sharing why Portugal, why that part of Portugal, and why not Florida?

Andrew Inkpen
Quote Reply
Re: Moving to Portugal, the Algarve region [AndrewPhx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The number one reason - cost of healthcare. Long story...

The second reason is opportunity to semi-retire with passive income. Portugal is offering a Non Habitual Residency (NHR) status for foreigners with passive income which allows 10 years of no double taxation (on certain type of income).
So, our plan is to spend up to 10 years in Portugal. Who knows, we might like it and stay there longer or we might not like it as much and just come back to Florida - we are not selling our house.

Which brings me to the 3rd reason - we want to experience different culture(s), learn a bit of different language, etc. We can just get into our car and drive through Europe.

Algarve - simply the warmest area.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm looking forward to following your journey.

Dan Kennison

facebook: @triPremierBike
http://www.PremierBike.com
http://www.PositionOneSports.com
Quote Reply
Re: Moving to Portugal, the Algarve region [dkennison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan,

You are always welcome to visit after we settle. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triathlon aside, be sure to hit O Charneco for an amazing dinner. An all time favorite.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
boki wrote:
The number one reason - cost of healthcare. Long story...

The second reason is opportunity to semi-retire with passive income. Portugal is offering a Non Habitual Residency (NHR) status for foreigners with passive income which allows 10 years of no double taxation (on certain type of income).
So, our plan is to spend up to 10 years in Portugal. Who knows, we might like it and stay there longer or we might not like it as much and just come back to Florida - we are not selling our house.

Which brings me to the 3rd reason - we want to experience different culture(s), learn a bit of different language, etc. We can just get into our car and drive through Europe.

Algarve - simply the warmest area.

Thanks - sounds like a good option.

Andrew Inkpen
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
boki wrote:
Well, I lived in Serbia for a long time (born and raised) - cold winters/hot summers. I trained through all the extremes. Currently I live in Florida and my cold temperature "resistance" went down to zero. I admit, I am a wimp. :)

I visited Serbia in 2003 (mainly Belgrade, Trstenik). Loved it. Didn't seem like the easiest place to train for triathlon though.
Algarve is my retirement dream destination. But, no EU passport...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Algarve - simply the warmest area."

You cant beat that, at least the ratio Warm/cost of living ;)

=====================================
S�rgio Marques
When it hurts is when it feels good ;-)
Sergio-Marques.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ha! No worries, I was just having a bit of fun considering most folks who consider moving to Portugal go to Algarve vs Tras-os-Montes (the northern region where my parents grew up, just a few miles from the Spanish border). I live in New England so I'm hardened to the weather already lol Having never been south of Lisbon, I'd love to visit the Alentejo and Algarve regions someday. But the north is great for some mountain climbs, I can be out the door and at the top of a category 2 climb in an hour, in an ideal world I'd do a cycling camp there and just do repeats up and down the mountain!

If you're into some cycling challenges, I'd recommend the Serra da Estrela granfondo (this will be on July 4th 2021, I believe), that ride will kick your butt and it's in a beautiful region in central Portugal. Other than that, try not to eat too many pasteis de nata (Portuguese custard tarts)
Quote Reply
Re: Moving to Portugal, the Algarve region [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, Serbia is a beautiful country but it can be rough. I went through two wars and a lot of hardship. Looking back I can't even imagine how I was able to ride on those roads. Now days even in Central Florida (Clermont) is getting more and more challenging traffic safety wise.

Regarding your dream look up the D7 visa for Portugal.
Quote Reply