Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Chronic adductor strain
Quote | Reply
I have a good friend who is struggling with a chronic adductor strain that prevents him from not only running but cycling. Even the leg motion in cycling aggravates it. He has been through PT, has had x-rays and an MRI, seen an orthopedic and it never gets better. I was hoping someone on this forum has a tip on what else he can try. It has been months with little improvement. Every time he tries to resume running, it comes back within a few days. Even walking seems to aggravate it when it is acute.
Quote Reply
Re: Chronic adductor strain [Pieman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whoa that sounds pretty rough. I am not sure what he has tried already with PT and his doctor and I would consult them in all of this, but I can tell you that I have used one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/FIGROL-Stretcher-Stretching-Flexibility-Gymnastics/dp/B07Q36JWN4/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=groin+stretch&qid=1608250423&sr=8-6

plus abdominal strengthening, and also adductor strengthening with theraband and I feel that has really helped me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A few years ago I had a case of athletic punalgia accompanied with significant adductor strain. I posted about it here:

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=7035462#p7035462

The link above is to the exercises that I was given in PT. If you scroll a few posts up you can read a higher level description of my overall progression from injury to PT to return to sport. In all it was about 9ish months to mostly back to normal and a year to rare twinges. If I seriously overdo it, I can still get sore for a day or 3 in the same areas. Granted, I'm 52....so, I don't heal like I used to.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pieman wrote:
I have a good friend who is struggling with a chronic adductor strain that prevents him from not only running but cycling. Even the leg motion in cycling aggravates it. He has been through PT, has had x-rays and an MRI, seen an orthopedic and it never gets better. I was hoping someone on this forum has a tip on what else he can try. It has been months with little improvement. Every time he tries to resume running, it comes back within a few days. Even walking seems to aggravate it when it is acute.

I had a similar injury and ended up with surgery. The damaged tendon was cut and reattached further up. Sounds bad, but i had mine done in 2004 and got another 10 years of rugby and touch rugby out of it with no problems. And had no problems the last 8 years of triathlon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a chronic strain for more than a year. Your friend's issue sounds very acute. What healed if for me. Stopped stretching including no hamstring stretches.
Quote Reply