Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

54T 1x OR 55/42 2x?
Quote | Reply
Need some help sorting things here. I’ve run both in races. I’d ride a 11-28 with the 55/42 or a 11-32 with the 54T (can get a 36T if I wanted)

What’s the better solution? For steady riding I’m essentially same chain line (forget off top of head but think it’s the 17t I’d use on either). Maybe even better chain line on 54t as it’s offset to inside.

I do lose the 16t on the 32. As the next step down is 15t. I didn’t mind in Augusta not having it. I’m happy over a wide range of cadences.

I’d run the 42/28 on a course like Placid. I lose one top gear if I run the 32 and keep same ratio if I run the 36. I’d mostly run the 32 tho.

So my question - how much climbing do I need to have to have the chain line loss offset the aero gain in steady state riding?

I think Josh with Silca said 2x is always better but I think that’s based around chain line losses - can anyone confirm? Since I’m in same 17t in both cases, I don’t have that issue. True statement?

I still lose some efficiency from the NW profile, correct?

Chain length stays same for both. RD stays the same. It’s actually lighter with the 1x and 32t cassette. 1x right has aero cover.

I want to run 1x as I like the look but not convinced it’s NET faster - or, if it is, when is it not? Riding the 54/36(or32) up a mountain would be worse chainline than the 42/28.

Josh - if you read this, I’ll do whatever you say without questioning it...
Quote Reply
Re: 54T 1x OR 55/42 2x? [Jnags7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This might not be a full answer to your question, but last Winter I was also looking into converting my Speed Concept to 1X. Also because I like the look and well, marginal gains right?

For the races I did around here this year, I got a pan cake flat course and I got a course which is 64km/40mi with 1300m/3900ft of climbing in it with the steepest climb being 1k at 11.7% average and 23% max.

With the idea being that at race speeds I want my chainline to be as straight as possible, that provides some issues because of the wide range of gearing I would need to either do 12kph/7.5mph up a climb or 50kph/30mph with tail wind on the flats. I either end up swapping chain rings or cassettes for each race, which brings me to the next issue I had which was I wanted a cassette with tight spacing around race speeds, so I wanted that 16T cog. With a 1x setup it was really hard to get into that same range, even without request for the 16T cog.

I ended up going for a 54/38 in the front with 11-26 SRAM cassette and did not have any issues at those races. The weight of the derailleur in the front and the small chain rings is easily offset by going into the porter potty before the start of the race, it just might not look super clean.
Quote Reply
Re: 54T 1x OR 55/42 2x? [Tri_Joeri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah. That sounds similar to my quest except I don’t see my speed needing to change on flat (3.18 vs 3.24 ratio). That’s why I’m struggling to understand which is faster as I’m not downsizing the front ring nor adding a clutch RD (comparisons between 1x vs 2x I’ve seen that show 2x faster have done those things).

I didn’t measure but I think the chainline is about the same in the 17th but now that I look it up, The 17t on the 32 cassette is one position further away from the tire and the 1x ring is 6mm offset towards the tire. That would make it ~10mm combined different (in favor of straighter). I think that makes it a winner - lighter, more aero, straighter chainline in 17t.

I know I’d lose out as gear ratio decreases just don’t know where that point is and how much cumulative time needs to be there to net lose out
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is going to make you fastest is spending more time on the bike. What I often find over looked is the benefit of doing recovery/easy rides in the aero position to get your body more efficient in that position. This will also help you be able to adapt more aggressive positions. A good recovery ride is impossible to do with a 54T chainring. That is pretty much the only reason I run a 2x setup on my bike.
Quote Reply
Re: 54T 1x OR 55/42 2x? [rowleycd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rowleycd wrote:
A good recovery ride is impossible for some to do with a 54T chainring.

Fixed it for you. I run a 54 and if I so wanted I could pedal low watts and still move at a decent pace. Plenty of others on here that can do the same as well. Not that I believe in recovery rides, but that's another convo and one I don't care to have.

My YouTubes

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for those points but not what I’m after here. I’m not giving up range. Or not in a way that affects me.

It’s a chainline efficiency question and the inflection point of when it’s worth having / not having the FD. System optimization is what I’m after in this post.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A 54-25 at 90 rpm is 15.3 mph

Can you recover on that?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you’re a TT guy the 1x is the way to go. I’d rather cross chain a bit and blast up a climb than lose momentum shifting to the small ring. I run a 56 with a 11-23 or 11- 28 depending on the course.
If I was a triathlete I’d definitely run 2x. I’d be concerned with holding my preferred cadence so I’d want a tighter cassette.
Quote Reply