Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Di2 Syncro Shift Help Please - Front derailleur
Quote | Reply
Hi,
I have a Cervelo P-Series that came with a mechanical Drivechain and cable disc brakes.
Over the last few months I have been acquiring various items to convert my bike to Ultegra Di2.

I have the following Di2 components installed this week.
RD-R8050 Rear Derr
RD-F8050 Front Derr
SW-R9160 Bar End Shifters
RS910 Bar end Junction Box (with Profile Aeroport mount)
DN110-2 Internal Battery
2x Junction Boxes
Lots of cables

Note that I only have the bar End shifters and these are a single button shifter. There are no shifters on the base bar. That is a future upgrade/modification after Christmas.

My issue is how do I change gears on the front derailleur. I thought Syncro took care of this....

I cannot stop, take out my lap top, plug in my charger/programer and change the shifter settings from Rear derr to Front derr mid ride or race so I can move from Big ring to Small ring. This is how I was changing gears on the front for setting up the system as I could not get the system to change both derailleurs.

E-Tube has my bike set to Syncro so I "assume" this would mean that upshifts will shift all the way up the gears including moving the front and rear derr as needed and the reverse for the down shifts. Based upon the below screen shot from my E-Tube that would be 14 up shifts/down shifts to move through the full range of gears in Syncro mode.

What have I missed, or have I misunderstood what Syncro is and I need additional shifters to change front chainrings.

And to complicate things further I have an event this weekend so need to sort this ASAP or I am stuck in a fixed front gear for the ride leg.... gulp

Regards (stranded Kiwi)
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 Syncro Shift Help Please - Front derailleur [GTNeil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Synchro shifts the front and rear derailleur for you.
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 Syncro Shift Help Please - Front derailleur [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought it would..... but for some reason it only shifts the rear and micro adjusts the front. I must have missed something but I have no idea what I have missed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Odds are pretty high that your bike is in manual mode, not your S1 synchro program. Do you have a Garmin that will connect to your wireless unit? It will tell you shift mode.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As exxxxviii pointed out, you're likely not in the correct shift mode.

Here's Shimano's instructions for switching shift modes from your junction box or your computer:

Changing modes:
If you have both the firmware and the new battery it is easy to tell which shifting mode you are in with a new sequencing of lights on your external EW-90A/B (pictured) or internal EW-RS910 junction box.
A double click of the external button allows you to toggle between modes.
  • A solid red light indicates Manual Shift mode
  • A twice-blinking red light indicates mode 1 (eg full Synchronized Shift mode)
  • A 3-times blinking red light indicates mode 2 (eg semi Synchronized Shift mode).

Each mode is customizable in E-TUBE, meaning you can choose different combinations and customized shift patterns if you wish (for example, two semi-Synchronized Shift modes offering different ‘correction’ shifts, or two full Synchronized Shift modes that assign a front derailleur command on differing chainrings).
For more information: A helpful video explains the benefits of E-TUBE and the potential shift mapping options here: http://e-tubeproject.shimano.com/...semisyncroshift.html
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 Syncro Shift Help Please - Front derailleur [beston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks to the last 2 posters who suggested it was a shift mode issue.
I had missed that somewhere along the line and was in manual mode. Couple of quick presses and I was in full syncro mode and bike changes gear as I expected/hoped it would. Just some fine tuning of the di2 and I will be set to go. (Until the next challenge of installing the base bar shifters next year......

Thanks so much for your wealth of knowledge. Good to know I'm not racing Sunday with a laptop strapped on the cockpit.

Regards

Neil
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
awesome! Good to hear it was an easy fix. Have fun in your race.
Quote Reply