Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What’s your morning turnaround time? (early AM workouts) [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Depends on sport.

Turbo I can do twenty minutes. Run I need about 35-45mins for the coffee to push things through pre run, otherwise I know I will end up in trouble at probably the furthest point from home...

Also depends on time year. A lot easier in spring/summer. Really struggling at the moment to get up before 6am (UK based).
Quote Reply
Re: What’s your morning turnaround time? (early AM workouts) [jn46] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What...nobody on here sleeps in their training gear?
Quote Reply
Re: What’s your morning turnaround time? (early AM workouts) [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
now tell us your post ride shower routine.
Quote Reply
Re: What’s your morning turnaround time? (early AM workouts) [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I shoot for 15-20’ but sometimes it’s a few mins more like if nature calls.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
30 min is the shortest for me. Have to have some coffee first and get my brain working.
Quote Reply
Re: What’s your morning turnaround time? (early AM workouts) [mclongy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Definitely approve of your goggle set up;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
10-15 min , depends on bathroom.. I have everything done and near bike the night before. All done, coffee made, bottles filled all in cooler near bike. kit layed out.
Quote Reply
Re: What’s your morning turnaround time? (early AM workouts) [NAB777] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NAB777 wrote:

night before a race, I do!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wake up at 5:00 and am swimming in the ocean by 6:10. Ocean is 10 miles/25 minutes away. Out the door by 5:25.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: What’s your morning turnaround time? (early AM workouts) [FasterTwitch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FasterTwitch wrote:
now tell us your post ride shower routine.

I live in an RV full-time and sort of do the snowbird life while working full time remotely, so my shower routine might look a little different than most!
  1. Turn on water heater during peak sun hours (solar on roof).
  2. Grab bike bottles. Fill 2 of them while running enough water through pipes to get warm water in shower.
  3. Turn water off in shower, with on-off switch installed near hot and cold dials.
  4. Get in shower.
  5. Turn water on (it's now hot).
  6. Douse self in water for ~10 seconds.
  7. Turn water off.
  8. Shampoo on head.
  9. Soap everywhere else.
  10. Turn water on and rinse head.
  11. Turn water off.
  12. Shampoo & conditioner on head.
  13. Turn water on.
  14. Rinse everything.

Not the most time efficient. But only uses about a gallon of water for showering with our 0.75gpm high-pressure head from Bricor. ;)

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Re: What’s your morning turnaround time? (early AM workouts) [Karl.n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Karl.n wrote:
I’ve done close to 5 minutes between wake and bike workout, which comes down to wake up, number 1, shorts and socks (leave the shirt you’ slept in on if necessary), nespresso and soft breakfast bar, get on bike. By the time you’re awake enough to realize how bad it is, the coffee kicks in.

Running is much trickier bc the kids have to go to the pool.

Literally nailed my exact experience lol.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alarm goes off at 4:15.
Do my morning dump.
Brew a cup of coffee.
Leave house 4:32 I watch the local weather and traffic
At Y 4:50 swim starts at 5:05 for one hour.
Teleworking day home by 6:30
Regular day I can shower and be at my work desk by 6:40

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Re: What’s your morning turnaround time? (early AM workouts) [Billabong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alarms went off at 5:10
Brush my teeth then cook my breakfast
Leave home at 5:50
Then ride my motorcycle to the sports centre next to my office such is only about 8 km away straight line but requires a detour in order to avoid the most expensive harbour crossing in the city, making the ride 30 minutes
Start the workout at 6:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We are all starting to sound a bit like American Psycho

"The person on top of the mountain didn't fall there." - unkown

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Re: What’s your morning turnaround time? (early AM workouts) [boobooaboo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
boobooaboo wrote:
We are all starting to sound a bit like American Psycho

I take offence at that.

Psycho is fair, but I would hope I am far more advanced than 'starting' and as for the American...

;-) #pink, etc,
Quote Reply
Re: What’s your morning turnaround time? (early AM workouts) [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DrAlexHarrison wrote:
Fastest possible method if morning time-cost is greater than evening time-cost.

Pre-make bottle with 1:1 ratio of glucose:fructose. 8-12oz fluid. 30-50g sugar, total. ~300mg sodium. Set caffeine pill out on bedside table. Running shoes pre-tied and shorts in bathroom by toilet. Carb-beverage within arms reach of toilet. Run shirt, laid out within arms reach of path from bedroom to bathroom. Running socks, slept in overnight. Running watch by house exit door, on charging cord.

Alarm goes off.
  1. Covers off.
  2. Caffeine pill under tongue while standing up.
  3. Shirt on while walking to bathroom.
  4. Drop pants, sit, and slide on shorts up to ankles simultaneously.
  5. Drink huge gulps of carb beverage and swallow pill while using restroom.
  6. Put shoes on while using restroom.
  7. Finish restroom use.
  8. Walk to house exit door while finishing beverage.
  9. Open door
  10. Grab watch
  11. Walk out door and close door.
  12. Push start on watch and start running.
  13. Put on watch.

Benefits of this method: caffeine pill absorption will be faster when completed in part through the lining of the mouth. Nutrition is almost completely optimal, rather than letting solid food linger undigested in your gut for half your run and only starting to provide glucose to working muscles and your brain, at the tail end.

Best of all, it's comfortably under 5 minutes. Sometimes near 2 minutes. Bathroom use time is the only potential bottleneck.

I love the specificity and efficiency of this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This one is tough, since both of us have worked at home since March it has been quite difficult to get up early and back into a regimented routine.

Been trying but holy shit I need to be in bed at 930 for that to work out well. Now, if the boss lady goes back to the office it probably gets easier because we'll be able to set into a routine.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am NOT a morning person (my body's ideal sleep schedule is 3:00 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.), but need to leave my house at 5:20 a.m. to make it to morning masters practice. I usually drag myself out of bed at 5:15 to be out the front door by 5:20, but that involves having everything ready the night before. All my stuff that goes with me to the pool is by the front door along with my keys and mask, and also a gel that I will eat while walking from the parking lot into the pool. I have my toothbrush/toothpaste and contact lenses set out on the sink ready to go, and I found that sleeping in my bathing suit and clothes I'll wear to the pool saves me a couple of minutes. Also, wearing old running shoes with elastic laces in the winter saves me from having to take the time to tie shoes before walking out the door. In the summer, I slip on a pair of flip flops.

On days when I need to rush to get out the door for a long run, I skip the part about sleeping in the clothes I'll wear for training and get dressed in the morning instead, and will eat a muffin while I'm getting dressed, and it takes me about 10ish minutes to get out the door (it's faster in the Summer when I don't need to get dressed in as many layers).
Quote Reply
Re: What’s your morning turnaround time? (early AM workouts) [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
NAB777 wrote:

night before a race, I do!

A guy that I know who did very well at Kona (AG) used to do that all the time...!
Quote Reply
Re: What’s your morning turnaround time? (early AM workouts) [NAB777] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So you know Damien Angus too?

It mystifies me how quickly people can get a session started.

I wake up on the alarm, stumble about collecting my kit, walk downstairs to get dressed, get dressed, click on the espresso machine, wait for it to get ready, do my HRV, read the news, mix bottles, swear because I’ve forgotten stuff, take a dump, weigh out coffee, make coffee, drink coffee, think about another one, maybe have one, try to remember not to check work email, check work email, send incandescent morning responses to work email, send placatory subs to work emails, work out where I’ve left my keys, and then finally stumble out to the garage and do my session, usually kicking off about an hour after getting out of bed.
Quote Reply
Re: What’s your morning turnaround time? (early AM workouts) [altayloraus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
altayloraus wrote:

I wake up on the alarm, stumble about collecting my kit, walk downstairs to get dressed, get dressed, click on the espresso machine, wait for it to get ready, do my HRV, read the news, mix bottles, swear because I’ve forgotten stuff, take a dump, weigh out coffee, make coffee, drink coffee, think about another one, maybe have one, try to remember not to check work email, check work email, send incandescent morning responses to work email, send placatory subs to work emails, work out where I’ve left my keys, and then finally stumble out to the garage and do my session, usually kicking off about an hour after getting out of bed.

Some people are morning people, others nightowls. I think it's the same as slowtwitch vs fasttwitch. Some are naturally one or the other, but you can train to be the other.

Key for me is doing all teh stuff the night before. Mug out, tea bag in cup, kettle filled with 400mm of water to minimise boil time, clothes laid out, even to the point of setting the tv channel to be the early news and not needing to swap channels. After a couple of weeks you nail your routine, which is fine, but I admit it does just take one small thing and the entire thing goes to shit. Every 6 months my wife will get up when I'm in mid routine, and she knows to not come near, but even someone else being up does knock me off and I can almost guarantee I'll forget something.

And seeing as we've already overshared on this, then the night before prep goes as far as eating bran flakes for 'desert' the night before if I'm running in the AM. Just to make sure there's no delays before I leave the house.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I may be a bit different than most here.

I wake up naturally at 4-4:30. Fall asleep at 9. Just can't sleep any longer.

I leisurely...get up, drink some coffee, have some light breakfast, peruse a little news on the Internet.... and most importantly enjoy my coffee in a quiet, still house that doesn't have my lovely, but maniac, boys shouting at the top of their lungs... and then, when nature calls naturally, do my business...

...and that usually has me ready, in un-hassled way, fully awake, primed.... to either be on the trainer or out the door for a run at 5-5:30... for as short as 1hr session to as long as 2.5-3 hr session.

Work from home, so always ready to go by 8:30 at latest.
Quote Reply

Prev Next