Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

aero gains on road bike cockpit?
Quote | Reply
anyone have a ballpark what the potential aero gains are from an old-school cockpit (round bars with Shimano Dura Ace 9 speed brake/shifters - external cables flapping in the breeze)

I was thinking of upgrading to 11s 105 / Ultegra and a Specialized aerofly bar with a Tarmac SL7 stem (for the Garmin mount and a little bit of cable management) - or something equivalent.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Dec 10, 20 6:34
Quote Reply
Re: aero gains on road bike cockpit? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Worth ~4W at 40kph.: https://www.shopforwatts.co.uk/.../news/watts-it-worth

Cervelo says it's S5 bar is worth 4.4W @ 50kph, so figure 1/2 that at 40 and a bit for the cables and it sanity checks.

So ~20-25sec. over a 1hr effort.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For cabling I think the rule of thumb is 1W per 10 cm exposed. Can't remember at what speed, but probably fast (45/50 kph). So in addition to the profile shape savings, you can measure the difference in what's showing and see what you're getting there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
anyone have a ballpark what the potential aero gains are from an old-school cockpit (round bars with Shimano Dura Ace 9 speed brake/shifters - external cables flapping in the breeze)

I was thinking of upgrading to 11s 105 / Ultegra and a Specialized aerofly bar with a Tarmac SL7 stem (for the Garmin mount and a little bit of cable management) - or something equivalent.

The bigger news here is you upgrading to 11s....Welcome to the party (actually...I recently joined the 12 speed party but I understand it’s baby steps with your upgrades :) )
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Dec 10, 20 18:37
Quote Reply
Re: aero gains on road bike cockpit? [carbenfire] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
carbenfire wrote:
For cabling I think the rule of thumb is 1W per 10 cm exposed. Can't remember at what speed, but probably fast (45/50 kph). So in addition to the profile shape savings, you can measure the difference in what's showing and see what you're getting there.

thanks!

just measured, I will be able to conceal 28 to 30cm of cable per shifter, so 5.6w to 6.0w savings right there. add in savings from the bar (call it 3 watts to be conservative) and that's about 9 watts saved.

that seems pretty substantial to me.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
carbenfire wrote:

thanks!

just measured, I will be able to conceal 28 to 30cm of cable per shifter, so 5.6w to 6.0w savings right there. add in savings from the bar (call it 3 watts to be conservative) and that's about 9 watts saved.

that seems pretty substantial to me.

It a bit less (ref: https://www.youtube.com/...=SpecializedBicycles ) , but still significant.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply