Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Significant drop in run pace - what's going on?
Quote | Reply

Background - 46 yo, overweight, but only 6 lbs over where I used to be able to run much faster (9:00 mm vs 12:00 mm)

Have spent the last 4ish years running slower, doing trail ultras and about 1 ironman a year. Have never been fast, but my run pace is shockingly low compared to what I'm used to.

Been training consistently at low volume (by ultra and IM standards), similar to previous training volume. I CANNOT go fast. No matter how hard I try. My old normal run pace was 9-10:00 mm. Now I can barely break 12 even if attempting intervals. I feel completely stuck in 2nd gear or something. It's like my body cannot convert any energy. It's been this way for at least a year now, fairly consistent training throughout. Did an iron distance this year (very, very slowly.) Took a month off/super easy. Now attempting ramp back up and every run feels so weird. Like I should just be able to pick up the pace, but the parking brake is on.

I'm used to the swings mid season to off season, and this is totally different. This feels physiological, like there is a literal barrier preventing me from going any faster than a true slog. Definitely not over trained. Current run volume about 20 mpw, with some added fast hiking.

I don't know what to do??
Quote Reply
Re: Significant drop in run pace - what's going on? [Elsa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Elsa wrote:

Background - 46 yo, overweight, but only 6 lbs over where I used to be able to run much faster (9:00 mm vs 12:00 mm)

Have spent the last 4ish years running slower, doing trail ultras and about 1 ironman a year. Have never been fast, but my run pace is shockingly low compared to what I'm used to.

Been training consistently at low volume (by ultra and IM standards), similar to previous training volume. I CANNOT go fast. No matter how hard I try. My old normal run pace was 9-10:00 mm. Now I can barely break 12 even if attempting intervals. I feel completely stuck in 2nd gear or something. It's like my body cannot convert any energy. It's been this way for at least a year now, fairly consistent training throughout. Did an iron distance this year (very, very slowly.) Took a month off/super easy. Now attempting ramp back up and every run feels so weird. Like I should just be able to pick up the pace, but the parking brake is on.

I'm used to the swings mid season to off season, and this is totally different. This feels physiological, like there is a literal barrier preventing me from going any faster than a true slog. Definitely not over trained. Current run volume about 20 mpw, with some added fast hiking.

I don't know what to do??

Go see your doctor is my advice.

I had something similar happen to me this summer - I felt similar to how you described. At first I thought it was a combination of being out of shape and high humidity, but I just kept feeling worse. And I was sure it wasn't COVID, since I had no other symptoms consistent with COVID.

My primary care doctor ran bloodwork to check B12, Folate, ferritin, thyroid, CBC, and also sent me for a sleep study, plus a neurology consult (I was also having a lot of muscle twitches and my vision had worsened).

In my case, it turned out that I was extremely folate deficient; some supplements turned me around.

I'm not offering this story to suggest that you might have folate deficiency, but rather to point out that when something is really off, you should check with your primary care doctor.
Quote Reply
Re: Significant drop in run pace - what's going on? [darkwave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
darkwave wrote:
Go see your doctor is my advice.

I had something similar happen to me this summer - I felt similar to how you described. At first I thought it was a combination of being out of shape and high humidity, but I just kept feeling worse. And I was sure it wasn't COVID, since I had no other symptoms consistent with COVID.

My primary care doctor ran bloodwork to check B12, Folate, ferritin, thyroid, CBC, and also sent me for a sleep study, plus a neurology consult (I was also having a lot of muscle twitches and my vision had worsened).

In my case, it turned out that I was extremely folate deficient; some supplements turned me around.

I'm not offering this story to suggest that you might have folate deficiency, but rather to point out that when something is really off, you should check with your primary care doctor.

Completely agree. And just to make the point that it can be a lot of different things...I had a similar experience this summer, but I turned out to be mildly anemic. Several weeks of slow iron, and I was back to normal.

So, go see your doc. Its the only way to know.
Quote Reply