Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sram Red AXS w/ 11T rather than 10T cog
Quote | Reply
I believe I came across some stories that some pros have hacked road AXS to use "normal" chainrings (i.e. 53+) and a cassette with a normal small cog (i.e. 11T) rather than the small 10T. Has anyone does this or have a link to some info on how this would work? I'm considering a bike with Red AXS and while I welcome the 12 cogs in the back, I have no interest in a 10T cog. The chainring is no problem - I know where to go for that. It's the cassette in the back. I would want a 12-speed cassette around 11-28 or 11-32. Maybe the answer is "you will have to wait for the new DA 12-speed," but that seems speculative and was hoping there is a good solution now.

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Last edited by: refthimos: Dec 7, 20 17:10
Quote Reply
Re: Sram Red AXS w/ 11T rather than 10T cog [refthimos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
refthimos wrote:
I believe I came across some stories that some pros have hacked road AXS to use "normal" chainrings (i.e. 53+)

Those stories were not clear to me. I had thought it just meant they were using the big rings so that it was generally unnecessary to go down to 10 to get the big gearing they wanted, not that they'd messed with the cassette range as well. All 3 XG-1290 cassettes already have an '11'. So it'd be literally manufacturing a new cassette with one tooth more on each cog up to the first "gap" space around 16-18? That sounds like quite an ordeal. Also, there'd be zero point in having two '11's in a row. Might as well keep the '10' for some super steep non-technical 100km/h downhill.

I'm also considering AXS for my new road bike. And, as an amateur racer, I'm kind of thinking the 48/35 is fine for me for crit/road races. *Maybe* the 50/37.

It'll be a change for me. Because I'm still on 53/39 standard cranks now.

I'm absolutely sticking to classic 11-speed gearing on my time trial bike, though.
Last edited by: trail: Dec 7, 20 17:38
Quote Reply
Re: Sram Red AXS w/ 11T rather than 10T cog [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're probably right. On the TT bike I run a 1x 11speed w/ 54 11-28. I can't say I spend a ton of time in the 54/11 and so if I'm going to get a 12th cog, I would love another gear (11-32) or tighter spacing with the 11-28. Basically what Campy has done with their 12sp cassettes. But with the obsession with weight over drivetrain losses, I guess we are left with these 10T 12sp cassettes from everyone else.

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Last edited by: refthimos: Dec 7, 20 17:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
refthimos wrote:
I believe I came across some stories that some pros have hacked road AXS to use "normal" chainrings (i.e. 53+) and a cassette with a normal small cog (i.e. 11T) rather than the small 10T. Has anyone does this or have a link to some info on how this would work? I'm considering a bike with Red AXS and while I welcome the 12 cogs in the back, I have no interest in a 10T cog. The chainring is no problem - I know where to go for that. It's the cassette in the back. I would want a 12-speed cassette around 11-28 or 11-32. Maybe the answer is "you will have to wait for the new DA 12-speed," but that seems speculative and was hoping there is a good solution now.

Would the spacing on a Campy 12s cassette work with AXS?

Edit, did some reading and a Campy 12s cassette is about 0.5mm wider across the whole thing than the AXS cassette, so that should work.

Rotor also makes a 12s cassette, looks like it goes from an 11-36 up to 11-52

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Dec 7, 20 23:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You have Rotor in 11-36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This cat gets it.
Quote Reply
Re: Sram Red AXS w/ 11T rather than 10T cog [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m running AXS with the Campy 12 speed cassette and it works reasonably well.
Quote Reply
Re: Sram Red AXS w/ 11T rather than 10T cog [chewg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chewg wrote:
I’m running AXS with the Campy 12 speed cassette and it works reasonably well.

Can you elaborate on "reasonably"?

There's an account on the weight weenies forum that AXS with campy cassette works fine. I believe you need the AXS chain instead of the Campy chain.

Also a YouTube video I believe reviewing campy Shamal wheels uses a similar setup but the shifting isn't great. As in it doesn't always work the first shift. 2 up 1 down or 2 down 1 up to change gears on occasion.

Also there was a tech question on Velonews where they (Zinn?) Says that it "should" work but based on anecdotal evidence from 10 and 11 speeds and that there's no reason 12 speed should be any different. But he didn't test it.

I think there's a lot of people who want to upgrade but don't want to give up their rear wheel or their hub isn't XDR compatible, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also apologies to Refthimos as I'm not trying to highjack the thread with my latest question.
Quote Reply
Re: Sram Red AXS w/ 11T rather than 10T cog [Chan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It does work fine—all gears are useable and there isn’t any excessive rubbing between cogs or anything. I said reasonably because haven’t been able to get the shifting absolutely perfect, which I guess could be my own fault (though I’m a decent mechanic).

My understanding is that the AXS chain will not work with the Campy cassette. My set up uses an “11 speed” Force 1x chainring and a KMC 12 speed chain. The Campy 12 chain should also work.
Quote Reply