Quote | Reply
Toothengineer wrote:
playguy wrote:
Toothengineer wrote:
playguy wrote:
Toothengineer wrote:
playguy wrote:
littlefoot wrote:
Out of curiousity, I hope they address they snapping bolts on the aero bars for the next unit. I was thinking about getting one now, even though it doesn't have a disc set up, but read far too many stories all saying the same thing:

Aerobar bolt snapped mid-ride and I crashed or almost crashed. That's insane. All riders also said the same thing-Trek stated it was an isolated incident.

A friend had this happen and when she went to the Trek store for repair, the guy taking in her bike says it happens all the time. Our mechanic worked at Trek and with the engineers on the service manual for the SC. He says it is very common and poor design. We have had similar issues with QR, but not of the magnitude of the SC. Seems Trek knows quite well of it and if it's a build issue, many of the complaints we've serviced came from the Trek dealer. I doubt installation is the whole story.

Guess I will keep defending trek in that I know a lot of people that rides these bike I worked with mostly the same mechanic over the years and this issue has never come up. I would also go out on a limb and say I put my bikes through more then the avg rider. Ok leaving this debate now....

I am really excited to see if trek releases something; I cant quite get myself to get any of these other bikes that are out now as I simply am waiting for trek to make a disc bike with a front end that adj easier.

We get them in all the time and the Trek store here says they all eventually break. Your experience is different, but I surely would not pay that kind of money for the risk. We're talking Project One, not base models.

I have beaten the crap out of some of these bikes never had a issue; Steve is same as me; so I find this interesting that people that have not beaten the crap out of there bikes (and by beaten the crap out of them I mean ride them hard but maintain them well) have never had a single issue..... Guess I will just say its luck...... For the money I still dont think there is a faster better bike around hands down.

We'll then disagree. I'd guess the Trek service people would as well as do our mechanics. Seems you two are lucky. The Trek mechanic said to replace them yearly.

Not all trek mechanics are created equal.

LOL! You're truly stretching now. The HQ is a few miles away and our mechanic worked there with the engineers on the service manual. Check your bolts and be safe.

Kiwami Racing Team
Quote Reply
Re: TREK disc brake SC? [playguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
playguy wrote:
Toothengineer wrote:
playguy wrote:
Toothengineer wrote:
playguy wrote:
Toothengineer wrote:
playguy wrote:
littlefoot wrote:
Out of curiousity, I hope they address they snapping bolts on the aero bars for the next unit. I was thinking about getting one now, even though it doesn't have a disc set up, but read far too many stories all saying the same thing:

Aerobar bolt snapped mid-ride and I crashed or almost crashed. That's insane. All riders also said the same thing-Trek stated it was an isolated incident.

A friend had this happen and when she went to the Trek store for repair, the guy taking in her bike says it happens all the time. Our mechanic worked at Trek and with the engineers on the service manual for the SC. He says it is very common and poor design. We have had similar issues with QR, but not of the magnitude of the SC. Seems Trek knows quite well of it and if it's a build issue, many of the complaints we've serviced came from the Trek dealer. I doubt installation is the whole story.

Guess I will keep defending trek in that I know a lot of people that rides these bike I worked with mostly the same mechanic over the years and this issue has never come up. I would also go out on a limb and say I put my bikes through more then the avg rider. Ok leaving this debate now....

I am really excited to see if trek releases something; I cant quite get myself to get any of these other bikes that are out now as I simply am waiting for trek to make a disc bike with a front end that adj easier.

We get them in all the time and the Trek store here says they all eventually break. Your experience is different, but I surely would not pay that kind of money for the risk. We're talking Project One, not base models.

I have beaten the crap out of some of these bikes never had a issue; Steve is same as me; so I find this interesting that people that have not beaten the crap out of there bikes (and by beaten the crap out of them I mean ride them hard but maintain them well) have never had a single issue..... Guess I will just say its luck...... For the money I still dont think there is a faster better bike around hands down.

We'll then disagree. I'd guess the Trek service people would as well as do our mechanics. Seems you two are lucky. The Trek mechanic said to replace them yearly.

Not all trek mechanics are created equal.

LOL! You're truly stretching now. The HQ is a few miles away and our mechanic worked there with the engineers on the service manual. Check your bolts and be safe.

Good luck to you and yours I will sleep fine at night.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: TREK disc brake SC? [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
littlefoot wrote:

I get the incremental tightening by singe bolt, but it still shouldn't happen.

So bolts shouldn’t shear that you install incorrectly?

blog
Quote Reply
Re: TREK disc brake SC? [Toothengineer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had one years ago and loved the look of the bike. I didn't like the base bar much, it was slick when sweaty and I felt the bike didn't turn really well. I also felt like it could have climbed better.
It was a stiff mother though! I am in the market for a new bike, and want them to release a new one, but doubt they will before summer. I might look at the P series cervelo makes, but the single cable to the fork really bothers me. I don't get how trek made a super bike in 2014 with no visible cables and cervelo releases a bike in 2020 with a cable flapping in the wind (overly dramatic! Ha). Also, it irritates me you only see the bike pictures from drive side, which shows no cables.

Maybe we'll hear something soon.

Question though for you all. Would you buy a SC disc version if it was the exact same bike as now, but just added discs? So, maybe even less aero?
Quote Reply
Re: TREK disc brake SC? [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm saying dealers are the ones mostly building the bikes and adjusting fits. So, how is the consumer supposed to know what exactly should be done when dealers aren't doing it right either.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
littlefoot wrote:
I had one years ago and loved the look of the bike. I didn't like the base bar much, it was slick when sweaty and I felt the bike didn't turn really well. I also felt like it could have climbed better.
It was a stiff mother though! I am in the market for a new bike, and want them to release a new one, but doubt they will before summer. I might look at the P series cervelo makes, but the single cable to the fork really bothers me. I don't get how trek made a super bike in 2014 with no visible cables and cervelo releases a bike in 2020 with a cable flapping in the wind (overly dramatic! Ha). Also, it irritates me you only see the bike pictures from drive side, which shows no cables.

Maybe we'll hear something soon.

Question though for you all. Would you buy a SC disc version if it was the exact same bike as now, but just added discs? So, maybe even less aero?

At this point with the P5D, Scott, and Canyon; I personally would not if it was only disk breaks..... If they had done disc breaks only 2 years ago I would have bought it as a training bike and raced on the rim break version. Now I think they need to step up and have a very easy to adj front end like Cervélo has done along with adding a touch more integration. If it is no more aero then the last bike I am ok with that.

I hated base bar on the shiv disc and the felt FRD and preferred with SC over those.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's a cool hack on the Cervelo P series that by using a QR stem cap you can route the front brake cable through the stem and make it more aero. I saw photos and our mechanics checked it out....it's easily done.

Kiwami Racing Team
Quote Reply
Re: TREK disc brake SC? [playguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's good to hear! I like the price point too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yea it looks solid. I'm looking at the Argon18 but both are very sweet and less $$.

Kiwami Racing Team
Quote Reply

Prev Next